Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Buffy question.

A Buffy question.

Ok, been watching Buffy on Space for the last week and they just finished the stroy arc where Willow goes, to quote one of the characters, Dark Phoenix and tonight they have rewound back to the season starter. Is the ep where they stop Willow on her terror spree a season ender or what?

I apologize for any spoilers here.

Arrow

It's a season ender. I'll let someone else tell how it ended.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Yeah that was the end of Season 6, a very lame season overall IMHO.

But the good news is that Season 7 has been light years ahead, since Joss is paying attention to it again and not focusing on Firefly.

I thought the last few eps ( the ones I mentioned above) were quite good. I like the idea of a good character going 'bad', battling all that evil for so long has to have its draw backs.

Has season 7 started, am I that far behind?

Hey Aslan how's the Buffy game going? You haven't posted any updates.

I think the first half of season 6 wasn't so good, but the wind-up during the second half and then the ender were great, especially the final scene with Spike.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Aw come one, "Once more with feeling" (607) was the most amazing thing I ever saw...

On a side note: Picked up my Buffy RPG book today! w00t! It rocks - no all I need is players... (...and time)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Originally posted by Phantom
    Has season 7 started, am I that far behind?
    Just wrapped up its first set of eps before the new year. Not bad so far. But season 6 still sits like a thick lump of grizzle in my tummy.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Hey Aslan how's the Buffy game going? You haven't posted any updates.
    It goes it goes. I didn't think there would be much of a demand to find out more about it. If there is, maybe I can post some stuff.

Originally posted by KillerWhale
    Aw come one, "Once more with feeling" (607) was the most amazing thing I ever saw...
    Season six was, to put it nicely, a mixed bag for Buffy fans.

I agree with KillerWhale -- "Once More with Feeling" was one of the best Buffy episodes ever -- and I've seen them all since the beginning. Right up there in league with "The Body", "Hush" and "Prophesy Girl", IMHO.

The episode with Buffy in the asylum, particularly the way it ended, was one of the most thought-provoking Buffy stories that I've had the fortune of seeing.

The episode where Riley returns was pretty good. And the last five episodes of the season were definite keepers.

But ... the season also had some incredible stinkers. "Double-Meat Palace" was quite possibly the worst Buffy episode that ever graced the small screen. Whoo, did it reek! I know some long-time fans who gave up on the show for awhile just because that episode was so awful!

All in all, about a third of the episodes in season six were good or great, about a third were mediocre, and about a third were bad or terrible. Put it all into an average, and I'd say that season six was just so-so. Basically, it was about as good as a typical network sci-fi/fantasy show.

The reason so many people say that season six sucked is because the first five seasons were so good that it really paled by comparison.
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Lt. Jabara Eris
    DS18 Station Counselor, Prylar and All-Around Groovy Guy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... Let us never forget Bajor's sacrifices under the Cardassian Occupation ...
    ... http://remember-forever.tripod.com ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Add to that the fact that the season really lacked a direction and a Big Bad.

I don't base a season on episodes, I find I prefer to go by the overall season, thus making 2 & 3 the best that there can be. I mean Seasons 4 & 5 weren't great either, but averaged a more positive feel than 6 did so I am more fond of them.

If we go by just episodes, season 6 has 2 episodes I like and then a bunch of moments that are good.

Once More With Feeling and Tabla Rasa were the ones I liked.

The reily ep was meh, but he and his wife were great.

The entire Magic is a drug angle was garbage for me. I really think it made for a lame season. I don't think anyone would have had a problem with Tara's death and Willow's already use of Black Magic being what pushed her over the edge, adding the Junkie angle was just lazy writing. The Geek Trio were fun to say the least but then any episode with Johnathan is fun

This is of course only my opinions.

I gotta disagree.

I think S6 rocked. To me it was the highlight of the series. I doubt Buffy will be able to top that season again.

I admit, Doublemeat Palace was pretty horrid, yes. The Riley ep was, in true Riley-fashion, boring as hell. And the drug metaphor in Wrecked was about as subtle as a train crash.
    But the rest was just plain awesome.

And season 6 had a lot more depth than the ones before. Let's face it, S1-3 was child's play. Sure it was funny and entertaining, but essentially it was your average teen angst show. It just didn't take itself too seriously.
    S4 & 5 had some awesome eps but overall were fairly fluffy. (exceptions: The Body, The Gift and possibly Restless)

But S6 didn't pull any punches as far as character conflict was concerned. There were no easy answers for the characters. THAT'S why that season rocked.
    Buffy couldn't just kill whatever pissed her off.
    Xander couldn't just make a joke and be done with whatever was bugging him.
    Willow couldn't just wave her hand around and get away.

And traces of this can still be found in S7. Although I feel as a whole S7 is infusing the series with more action/comedy again. There's more supernatural broo-haha going on.... (and one hell of a body count, so far!).. etc, etc.

Except for Spike's story-line it all seems rather... bland.
    But let's see what else is going to happen this year.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

Joe I think we may have had this conversation before, if so I apologize for the retread.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Season 6 was the Endless Whining of Buffy. So much so infact that in "Conversations With Dead People" (7ABB07) it is directly addressed by the psych major vampire. Almost as if Joss was apologizing for that Marti Noxon episode.

BUt in the end if you enjoyed it more power to you, as for it being the best season ever? I couldn't disagree more.

Originally posted by AslanC

I couldn't disagree with you more. Season 6 was the Endless Whining of Buffy.

As opposed to the Endless Whining of Buffy Season 1-5?

I always hated Buffy. Partly because she was always bitching and moaning. It was only on S6 I felt that she actually had a reason for that.

So much so infact that in "Conversations With Dead People" (7ABB07) it is directly addressed by the psych major vampire. Almost as if Joss was apologizing for that Marti Noxon episode.

I saw it as the authors finally admitting just what a pain in the ass Buffy has always been. I liked the fact that they made it clear just what a b-i-t-c-a Buffy is at heart.

Never liked her. I doubt I will before the series ends.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

All I can say man is that if you enjoyed it (and even think it was the best of Buffy) then that is cool

I didn't.

All is well

BTW: who does play BtVS RPG around here?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

I do

I am currently running a game called "The Nolton Chronicle".