Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middle-Earth lit question

Originally posted by Chris Landmark
    So beware of taking other author's guesses as "fact." They may be perfectly good guesses, and the most appropriate guesses based on the available information, but don't get caught assuming they're information Tolkien ever wrote down.
    Fair enough, Chris. I'll try to read more of the books mentioned here before I form my own opinions, of course.

Read the first two chapters of Book IV last night...man, I don't know if I hate Smeagol, or pity him, or what. He is one pathetic creature...

Ramage, I love the idea of Beren and Luthien, TMP. If you start a petition for Peter Jackson to make the movie, I'll sign it as many times as it takes.

Liv Tyler could play Luthien; the elves said Arwen looked just like Luthien. But who would play Beren? Russel Crowe might be good, and he fits my mental image of Beren.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Ineti
    Read the first two chapters of Book IV last night...man, I don't know if I hate Smeagol, or pity him, or what. He is one pathetic creature...
    You should do both. He's a Fallen character, and despicable in his behavior. He's a Bad Guy, so hate is an appropriate response (boo, hiss). But he wasn't always that way; circumstance and succumbing to his more venal instincts brought him down to the level of Gollum. The same thing could have happened to Bilbo, or Frodo, had they followed their less noble impulses. Thus we pity him, because we know that a like fate could yet befall our heroes. Or even us.

The Lord of the Rings can be dismissed as "just an escapist fantasy story" by some, but for all that there are a lot of deeper themes hiding behind fantastic creatures and magic. That's why it's remained so popular and relevant for the past half century.

Originally posted by Sarge
    Ramage, I love the idea of Beren and Luthien, TMP. If you start a petition for Peter Jackson to make the movie, I'll sign it as many times s it takes.
    It might be nice, but he'd have to get permission from the Tolkien Estate. Historically, they've been quite unwilling to grant anyone license to do anything.

So you'll have to settle for stuff available through the Tolkien Enterprises (they're totally different from and unconnected to the Estate) license, which is confined to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.

Russel Crowe as Beren? Feh, I say; he looks nothing like the noble children of the House of Beor. I might buy Vincent Spanno in the role, however.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Well, I finished The Return of the King last night. Great read, though I think that it slowed down a lot once Aragorn got crowned king and married Arwen. It felt like it took forever for the hobbits to get back to the Shire.

And Saruman getting knifed by Grima? Sweet. I wonder if we'll see anything like that in the film.

All in all, a great read. I can't wait to see what PJ does with the siege of Minas Tirith and the battle of Pellenor Fields.

I'll be reading the appendices next, then The Hobbit, then The Silmarillion, and then the copy of Unfinished Tales my wife got me for Xmas.

I've read a little more about the History of Middle-Earth, and don't know if they interest me enough. I may hold off on those for a while. I don't know if I'm ready to jump in and be a Tolkien scholar.

At any rate, I'm loving the stuff I'm reading. RPG story ideas are hitting me left and right.

The Atlas of Middle-earth, by Karen Wynn Fonstad

This is a very good book. In fact, I got it when I couldn't stand the LOTR (Though the movie got me going).

If you like Dragonlance, she also did one for that - better then the LOTR one, but I may be biased...

later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Originally posted by pathstrider
    This is a very good book. In fact, I got it when I couldn't stand the LOTR (Though the movie got me going).

If you like Dragonlance, she also did one for that - better then the LOTR one, but I may be biased...
    I have the first edition of the Atlas of Middle-Earth, and I have her Atlas of Pern, for Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Both very nice books.

Well, I finished The Hobbit. Good read, though it's not the book LOTR is. I liked Hobbit a lot, and saw a ton of gaming potential in it (Decipher's gotta do a sourcebook!). I feel like The Hobbit's geared more towards kids and the LOTR more towards adults (no new revelation there, I'm sure).

Next on the stack is The Silmarillion. Then Unfinished Tales.

Then I have to decide if it's worth picking up the 12 volumes of the Histories of Middle-Earth...