Thread: Prime Directive Game

Prime Directive Game

Anyone know anything about the Prime Directive game from Task Force games? Was it interesting enough for me to bid on a copy at Ebay? Did it give stats for any of the main characters from the shows/movies?

Or was it just a complicated affair?
    ~The Somewhat Barbaric

Prime Directive is sort of a "second hand" Trek - it wasn't a licensed Star Trek game, but rather a spin off of the Star Fleet Battles wargame, which held its license from the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical Manual, through a screwy loophole in the Franz Joseph license. After a lawsuit in the early 1980's, Star Fleet Battles was legally restricted to TOS and TAS, and could not use any of the Star Trek characters. It is my understanding that all these restrictions applied to Prime Directive as well.

With that in mind, the SFB/PD universe is a much more militaristic place than the mainstream Trek universe, and its continuity diverges sharply post-TOS.

Mechanics-wise, I have to go on hear-say evidence, but I'm given to understand that it's a bit on the clunky side, being written by boardgamers rather than role-players. A new version has just been released under the GURPS system. If you can stomach the GURPS rules, it may be cheaper to pick up the GURPS version rather than pay E-Bay (Unique! Rare! Out of Print!) prices.

Talking

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Chello!

Plus, if that's the first editition PD on ebay (and not the new GURPS PD), you can pick it up at ADB's site for $5 US. The whole 1e system is on sale for a total of $25!

http://www.starfleetstore.com/MERCHA...gory_Code=PD1E

Tony
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."