View Poll Results: Which death was more powerful or moving?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spock in TWOK

23 65.71%
  • Data in Nemesis

3 8.57%
  • Both were equal

9 25.71%

Thread: Nemesis Related Poll (Major Spoilers)

Nemesis Related Poll (Major Spoilers)

I haven't seen Nemesis yet, so I will vote only after.

Almost the same

Spock's death was much more "quicker" in that there was little reaction time, he thought of it, and it was too late. His time to die was dragged out, giving more time for the effect.

For Data, as soon as he headed down the corridor to jump across, even Geordi knew it was a one-way trip. He had time to save Picard and even wait for the timer to reach 5 seconds before whispering "goodbye" and causing the explosion. Death was instantaneous, no time to grieve. No one at his side to say good bye.
    ~~~randy~~>

Although I loved Nemesis, Spock's death was more moving because of his whole speech about "the good of the many" and so forth. Data just kind of... died; no dramatics.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Spock's was more moving... He got to talk to Kirk and make a "death speech"... We got to see him die.

I was joking with my friend after the movie, saying that they should have shown Data's head floating in space saying "I'm not dead yet" (in a Monty Python voice)

I suppose Berman couldn't coax Dustin Hoffman to reprise his Oscar-winning performance, so he elected to have Brent Spiner to do his best "Rain Droid" imitation...

"I'm a very good pilot. Yeah."

And Data's self-sacrifice didn't move me a bit.

“In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    For me it was Spock's death that got to me more. Maybe because I grew up on TOS reruns, and saw the movie when I was younger. That and his death was drawn out. The last moments with Kirk and being separated at the same time.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

As said ealier, Data's death was to quick. And his waiting for the last moment was to Hollywood.

Spock though, that was great. Emotional to the end, his dying words . . . afterwards seeing his casket sent to the stars . . . but ending up on the planet.

And the morning of Data was only limited to the toast. How pathetic! I mean the morning of the percieved lost of LaForge and Ro was better then this one.

And B-4 ruined it all!

I hope they do better when they decide to kill of Picard.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Well I finally saw the movie.

As some one who is NOT a fan of TNG it is going to surprise everyone when I say that Data's death had a more powerful and moving effect on me.

I didn't cry when Spock died. I did when the whale did in Orca though (weird that one). But I felt the tears well up when Data said goodbye, and then a few slipped out when Riker told the story of first meeting Data and not being able to remember what song he was trying to whistle.

Oh yeah, I liked the movie overall, though the Remans looked silly and the Scimtar was fugly.