View Poll Results: Please rate Nemesis if you've seen the movie.

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll

7 9.46%

1 1.35%

1 1.35%

4 5.41%

4 5.41%

9 12.16%

12 16.22%

16 21.62%

3 4.05%

17 22.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate NEMESIS!

Admiral Janeway (BOO)

I am sorry I Booed her in the theatre and got plenty o' laughs.

Just could not stomach seeing her.

Hey nice seen with Wesley, that was Wesley right?

I guess if he could be back then Worf is done sitting behind a desk.

Really enjoyed the episode on the big screen

Ronin84
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

Romulans

Originally posted by Phantom
    Gave it a 6, nothing special, but it didn't suck either.

Bad points;

-The Reman Warbird. Where did they have their secret base? There's always a secret base. Think the Romulans would have figured something out.
    -The whole Senate assassination thing.
    -The Romulan Warbirds. I liked the them, on closer sight they really don't look like Klingon vessels.

Ahh Phantom I knew you were a big Romulan Fan and I looked foward to seeing your thoughts on the movie. Since I won't be seeing the film until mid Jan-I have asked some American friends to kindly go the film and relay to me the Romulan stuff (After insurrrection I don't mind being spoiled)

Now why is it assumed its a Reman only built vessel in secret? I mean Shinzon had the backing of the Romulan Fleet-The Senate would not suspect a warship being built normally would become the flagship of a coup leader.

Once it had been established that it was not this "Reman uprising" rumour going around before the film release-It was far esier to belive a Romulan military backed coup with at least one senator in on it-I find the Senate incident plausiable.

The Tal Shiar are a broken power and they could be in on the coup so I think the Senate and Praetor Hiren were in trouble, no matter what.

I agree with you on the Valdore-Frankly The Klingons never struck me as insipred by a bird of any sort and the BOP stands out compared to the D7 and Vorchas. It was all a mess from earlier drafts involving Roms from ST3. The Romulan needed a another warship to complement the mighty warbird

I love the new Romulan outfits and makeup-do you?

Last edited by General Velal; 12-17-2002 at 07:49 AM.
    "To be honest, my opinion of starfleet officers is so low. You would have to work very hard indeed, to disappoint me."

Senator Vreenak to Sisko.

"I love the new Romulan outfits and makeup-do you?"

Ugh....hated the next gen make-up change. Leave 'em Vulcan looking.

Why is it EVERY alien has to have the 'head of the week' look?
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by calguard66
    BAH! The one thing I really hated.

Voyager was Janeway's first command... and after a few years of being lost, she gets promoted to Admiral?

Could just picture that promotion ceremony

Reporter: Adm Janeway, you have just been promoted to Admiral! What are you going to do now?

Janeway: Well, Now that i'm an Admiral, I think it's about time to set forth a plan to Sell Out the Federation!

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man

What next?!

"COMPUTER! ENGAGE EMERGANCY HOLOGRAPHIC OIIJI BOARD TARGETING SYSTEM!"

Yeah.
    I do not even know how I can possibly come up with a suitable remark to top that statement.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

The NEMESIS of good Trek movies.

I finally watched Nemesis last night. It's a good thing the tickets were freebies from work, otherwise I'd have felt cheated. Come to think of it, I still do! For a moment there I thought I'd gotten something worthwhile from work!
    I was vaguely familiar with the plotline before I aw the movie (mostly from the posts I found here), but I am still dissappointed.
    The dialog was tilted and forced, the characters were tired and hackneyed, and the plot was so far below par, it wouldn't qualify for mini-golf. (Sorry for the mixed metaphor, the writing Talents from Nemesis must have rubbed off on me!)

There were a few moments of mirth, but even laughing gas couldn't save the flick (although for the most part it DID feel like dental surgery).

Overall, I found this movie less satifying than ST V. At least Sybok had a personality.

Walking out of the theatre I saw only two positive points to this movie: the turmoil in the Rumlan Empire will be great plot fodder for the game , and 2) I don't have to wait for the next movie.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    I notice that most of the scores are 5 and above. Not too bad.

Still, I'm suprised at the number of low scores.
    So am I. Almost everyone in my area who's seen it has loved it... only one person I know has had any major complaints about the movie.

I think alot of people don't like it because they don't really understand what it's about... the whole "psychological drama" thing between Picard and Shinzon can be kind of subtle.

OK I gave it a 7, we are back on the right road now if not quite there yet. So my thoughts

First part
    The Assination was pretty flat though seeing how a biogenic weapon works for once was nice. There should have been a little more set up for the take over maybe a conversation between Shinzon and the Military commanders to spill out exactly how the Reman are now on top.

The Wedding was sappy, corny and typical however it was nice. I do have to ask though since Wesley was in uniform my I assume he returned to defend his homeland during the war and has decided to stay in Starfleet?

The dunn buggy race was fun to watch especialy as it has never been done before in Trek. However I agree that Prime Directive issues do come up.

The whole mental tap dance between Picard and Shinzon was nicely done.

Second part
    The battle was nicely done.

I liked the Valora design however the Romulans should have sent a bit more power to help Enterprsie since they knew what was on the Scimtar.

I think the ramming was not with too much power, I think Picard knew he had to go full impluse to get the big E moving from its dead stop. Conversely it had not picked up enough momentum to rip itself and the Reman ship apart like it seems it should have on contact.

Sorry Ebert, but hearing the shields are down to such and such is perfectly normal procedure on a ship in combat it is vital combat information which a commander should know but would escape his attention in the heat of battle.

Arrow

I gave it a 6. Maybe because prior to watching NEMESIS, I watched The Two Towers this Christmas Day.

I have to say it did not suck, but it did not impress me as much as FIRST CONTACT. And what's with the picture of a young yet bald cadet Jean-Luc Picard? IIRC, he had hair.

While it was a nice touch to add Wesley (in uniform?) and Guinan (thought she was in the Nexus), but if you're going to deal with the Romulan, especially the Romulan government which has been taken over by the Remans, you would think to add more familiar faces such as Major Sela.

Maybe I missed it because I've been yawning so much, but how is it that easy to install a clone as Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire?

Oh, well. I guess I should pick up the novelization to see where the script was going before production. Maybe I missed some of the details.

I hate to say this but I guess after the success of Gladiator, John Logan must have ran low in creative juice when he began scripting for this film.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

How does Picard avoid a court-martial at the end of Nemesis? When Shinzon dies he freezes up and does NOTHING to stop destruction of the Enterprise by that super weapon. Then when he gets back to the Enterprise he tells Riker that he has command. I would assume after a battle like that there are probably quite a few casualties and he just walked into his ready room like nothing was wrong with his ship.

Another question I have is what do the Romulans need with dilithium mines? They don't use it to power their ships so what do they use it for?

If the Romulans hate the Remans so much why would the Romulan military work with Shinzon?

There are enough holes in this movie to drive the Enterprise through sideways .

This is the worst movie they have made.

Originally posted by Dukeroyal
    How does Picard avoid a court-martial at the end of Nemesis? When Shinzon dies he freezes up and does NOTHING to stop destruction of the Enterprise by that super weapon. Then when he gets back to the Enterprise he tells Riker that he has command. I would assume after a battle like that there are probably quite a few casualties and he just walked into his ready room like nothing was wrong with his ship.
    Huh? I don't really understand why a moment of indecisiveness that no one was actually there to witness is ground for a court-martial.

Another question I have is what do the Romulans need with dilithium mines? They don't use it to power their ships so what do they use it for?
    They could sell it to other people... I'm sure the Ferengi would pay a fair price for it. And have they ever said that ALL Romulan ships are powered by singularity drive? Some smaller ships might be powered by warp drive... perhaps because their smaller power levels can't support a massively power-consuming system like a singularity drive.

If the Romulans hate the Remans so much why would the Romulan military work with Shinzon?
    Because 1) Shinzon is not Reman, he is a human, and puny humans are easy to manipulate :-). 2) Shinzon has promised immediate aggressive action against the Federation, something the military really wants, and since the Senate will not declare open conflict with the Federation, the military is willing to work with somone who can give them what they want, even if they consider them inferior. Kind of like during the Dominion War the Dominion considers the Breen and Cardassians inferior because they are "solids," but are still willing to work with them to achieve domination.

There are enough holes in this movie to drive the Enterprise through sideways .
    I certainly hope I've managed to patch up a few of the plot holes.

Arrow

Originally posted by Dukeroyal

How does Picard avoid a court-martial at the end of Nemesis? When Shinzon dies he freezes up and does NOTHING to stop destruction of the Enterprise by that super weapon.
    Technically, no one knows except the audience.

Of course, Data died with the secret doing his duty (save the captain and the ship).

Then when he gets back to the Enterprise he tells Riker that he has command. I would assume after a battle like that there are probably quite a few casualties and he just walked into his ready room like nothing was wrong with his ship.
    Or he was too stunned to do anything except to delegate his command to someone else, once the danger is over. I mean he just killed himself (or rather, his clone).

Of course, I am not defending the entire movie, just one segment that seems plausible.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by erhershman

quote:

Because 1) Shinzon is not Reman, he is a human, and puny humans are easy to manipulate :-). 2) Shinzon has promised immediate aggressive action against the Federation, something the military really wants, and since the Senate will not declare open conflict with the Federation, the military is willing to work with somone who can give them what they want, even if they consider them inferior. Kind of like during the Dominion War the Dominion considers the Breen and Cardassians inferior because they are "solids," but are still willing to work with them to achieve domination.

Also it was stated in the movie he was a hero of the Dominion War. The Remans were used heavly in the war & they did quite well;thats why when He started His plan many Romulan Military leaders hooked their wagons to His horse.