View Poll Results: Please rate Nemesis if you've seen the movie.

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll

7 9.46%

1 1.35%

1 1.35%

4 5.41%

4 5.41%

9 12.16%

12 16.22%

16 21.62%

3 4.05%

17 22.97%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate NEMESIS!

Originally posted by erhershman
    I think alot of people don't like it because they don't really understand what it's about... the whole "psychological drama" thing between Picard and Shinzon can be kind of subtle.
    ...as a brick through a plate glass window. I think people got it just fine. For us, it was the Worf's an ambassador -- now he's gonna take a serious demotion to tactical officer; ignoring the prime directive to swoop in on a planet of non-warp tech guys; where was the rest of the Romulan fleet?; why is Deana suddenly telepathy, instead of just empathic?

"I certainly hope I've managed to patch up a few of the plot holes."

Nope. There were a lot of little things that did this flick in for me. A couple minutes with a Trekkie or an decent editor might've cleared it up; as it was, it jarred me. (And I'm usually the guy saying "it's in the script".)
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

My Nemesis vote....

Well met all!! I voted Nemesis in at an 8. It was very well done, and the story interesting, though in parts I felt it was a bit weak, but all-in-all it was a very enjoyable Trek Film. Last night at work, I had an epiphany of sorts about the movie. Well not an ephiphany per se, but a sudden realisation as to why I thought many people didn't like it. Here is what I figured out, so bear with me

First off, taking from Deciphers descriptions: TNG is seen as "kinder, gentler Federation", period. A more cerebral approach to Trek; whereas DS9 more of the nitty gritty side of Trek (showing all the "bad" stuff). Thinking about this I realised that Nemesis was more along the lines of DS9, it had a gritty edginess to it; not at all what we "normally" tend to think of with the TNG cast. So IMHO, I think those hardcore fans of TNG felt betrayed in a sense, that they weren't getting a true TNG story, but a DS9 tale wrapped up in TNG clothes (so to speak). However, it would seem that those fans of DS9 tended to like the story because it was a bit edgy, and gave that feel of a more dark side to Trek that was the feel of DS9. At least this is what I thought at the point. Also another point that made some fans disappointed, esp me, was the glossing over of Riker's and Troi's wedding. This is something that they have been building up for so long, and to have it just basically be a little blurb (oh hi, hey they are married now,let's get on with the rest of the movie now), was a let down. I was hoping for a bit more!

Anyhow, my only real gripe about the movie, per se, is that Janeway was made an Admiral. I know that she was shown as Admiral in the last episode of Voyager, but that was in the near future of Trek. In this film, it would have been almost right after the ship arrived back in the Alpha Quadrant, why would they promote her?? Ok, yeah, she did all well and good on her own for 7 years in the Delta Quad, and got the ship home, blah blah blah, but what, WHAT?!?!?, did she do to get promoted. Nothing that I can see, personally.....Ok, enough ranting about Janeway/Voyager

Anyhow, there's my 2 strips....

Safe journeys,
    Lt. Cmdr Phade
    =/\=

Unhappy

Positive:

great seeing the new Romulan warbirds

great redesign of the conference lounge

Bad points:

We never got to see the transporter room!

Give me back the shuttlecraft and captain's yaht from Insurrection

Bring bring the original DS9 uniforms (TNG's Darmok)

bad editing

"We didn't have the budget to film Worf's scenes"

hahahahahaha but they did have the budget to do the unesessary ship collusion, sleds and jeep scenes?!

"The film was too long"

"These scenes don't move the film foreward"

What is your favorite quote from Star Trek?

I watch Star Trek because of the plots and characters.

Not for the action

What about Riker, Troi, Crusher, Worf and LaForge?

Yet again we could have had a music video that would have been more sastifying!

Snort

Of course with the bad plot and bad acting no amount of new scenes can save this movie

I actually read the novelization yesterday and the original script was worse

I don't care if this is Star Trek and/or TNG. It still Sucks!

I'm going to pop the "First Contact" DVD and then watch the TNG tv series.

Then I'm going check if new books in the DS9 relaunch, SCE and Decipher RPG series are out

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
    Last edited by bilbosmaug; 02-27-2003 at 06:27 PM.