Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your least favorite Trek character

I'm afraid it has to be Acting Ensign WC every time.
    To quote one of my crew "The rest of the Academy applicants all failed their psych evaluations-Wesley Crusher was still alive at the end of the exercise."

I can see why the syrupy feelgoodiness of a lot of Neelix (and other VOY character) scenes would annoy, but I just disengage my brain and go along with it. It's no worse than the forced hilarity at the end of almost every TOS episode.

Geordi came out with some wierd lines in the first series of TNG though-I think I recall hearing a "Zowie" one time? I keep expecting him to say sometihing like "Holy warp drives, Batman!"
    Replicator Technician 3rd Class

ARCHER! I hate him! they should have gottena no name actor to play him. alos Janeway. One camera Angle would change and her hair would be different.
    Ulaire Chang, Dark Lord of the Sith
    AIM: ensigndan
    MSN and Hotmail: ensigndan@hotmail.com
    Yahoo: chang1701

I agree with mr. Dizzy on the BarbieBorg thing. I'd rather have seen Kes age rapidly and deal with the ultra-short Ocampa lifespan than the whole exploring humanity thing AGAIN....
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

The Doctor. He got more characterization than most of the rest of the cast, and he a computer program.

He should have been on the first season while they concentrated on training a new medical staff, then turned off until an emergency.

It really didn't stretch Ricardo's acting either, basically the same character he played on China Beach as far as I can see.

Originally posted by pesterfield
    The Doctor. He got more characterization than most of the rest of the cast, and he a computer program.

He should have been on the first season while they concentrated on training a new medical staff, then turned off until an emergency.

It really didn't stretch Ricardo's acting either, basically the same character he played on China Beach as far as I can see.
    It would have taken 7 years just to train someone in the basics of being a Medical Doctor. Remember Paris was only trained as a field medic/nurse (and I doubt he would have qualified for the RNs.) They had the Doctor and they used him, granted I often thought it was kind of lame killing off the whole med staff, surely one or two would have survived. But, what the hell right? Its B&Bs world after all...Lameness is the name of its Capitol.

Janeway, the psychotic, murdering (Tuvix), torturing (Equinox II), rule breaking (every fricking episode) Starfleet Admiral. What the frell are B+B on.

Chakotay was a better Starfleet officer, and he's a ex-terrorist.

Followed by the entire main cast of ENTERPRISE (except Porthos).
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

What I didn't like about Janeway was all the side trips, aren't they supposed to be getting home at top speed?

I can see stopping for wormholes and other possible ways home, but some of the stops had no good reason.

And she always let a hostile vessel fire several times before returning fire. Fire at the first sign of hostility and destroy the enemy.

Least favorite character/s:

It's either Fear from Voyager's "Cold Thaw" or the children of Star Trek's "Miri". Can't decide on which is most annaoying.
    Daniel "Warduke" Schenström

Janeway, hands down.

For all the reasons given above, though I want to expand on a couple things:

1) She constantly exposed her ship to danger through mismanagement of tactical situations. I don't care if you're a scientist or the captain of a garbage scow assigned to Ruh'ra Pente- you don't wait until your shields are mostly gone to start shooting back. If your enemy has already started hurling subatomic death at you, descression has ceased to be the better part of valor.

2) You don't beat up on your officers for making human mistakes, and then go and do the SAME FRELLING THING a week or two later without apologising to said crewmember, even if you are the captain. More-over she did this constantly throughout the series.

3) in such a situation as being trapped 75 years away from home, you don't go and lock yourself atop an ivory tower and do a vulcan imitation that would drive Tuvok into instant Pon Far. you be a leader by example, and SOCIALIZE WITH YOUR CREW!!!!!!!!! Alienating your crew leads to lower moral, and worse. encourage second guessing and (at its most extreme), mutany.

It's established canon (such as canon counts with Voyager) that Voyager was her first command, and after seeing what she did with that command, it's not surprising that they promoted her to admiral. What, you ask? Promote her? why in the frelling hell would you promote such a horrid officer, you ask?

Well, it's very simple, really: A) She technically came back a hero, and B) promoting her puts her behind a desk, instead of in the Big Chair of a Starship. Busting her back down would have put her in a position to command a starship again, which as we've seen is a colosal no-no. Promoting her really WAS the best thing to do, as strange as it sounds.
    I don't care if you're a scientist or the captain of a garbage scow assigned to Ruh'ra Pente- you don't wait until your shields are mostly gone to start shooting back. If your enemy has already started hurling subatomic death at you, descression has ceased to be the better part of valor!

It's tough to think of a character that I didn't like at some point.

Neelix is largely annoying, but I enjoyed watching him be godfather to Naomi Wildman.

Rom was annoying at the start but he got a backbone (sort of) later on.

Geordi's kind of bland, but I didn't dislike him.

I really liked Wesley in 'The Game' and 'First Duty'.

Gotta go with Moogie. I dislike Ferengi episodes for the most part, and the ones with her in were the worst.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Give Barclay a break. He is a brilliant engineer, and we've seen what he can do when he plucks up his confidence. Barclay is a hero in the real sense of the word - he's scared and lacking confidence in his own abilities, but he still gets up and does the job when it comes right down to it. People like Geordi have probably seen these qualities in him, and figured he just needs to be put into scenarios that can build his self-esteem.

As someone who definitely has to fight down nagging concerns that "maybe I'm in over my head" regarding my job (I've always had low self-esteem, but as I accomplish more in life my confidence is building), I can honestly say that some employers will recognize potential, even if you don't believe you've got it yourself.
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Wesley and Neelix.

Wesley was an irritating little kid. You will never see me praise the character.

Neelix, resident idiot as someone posted before.

A dishonourable mention also goes to Janeway, the Doctor in the last 2 seasons of VOY and Chakotay.

Oh and Tuvix, although he only appeared once, I despised the character (the concept was good though).
    Last edited by Lt.Khrys Antos; 01-14-2003 at 05:39 PM.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

The one character that consistently irks me is Wesley Crusher. I recently watched the first season of TNG straight through, and every episode I saw him in, I hated him all the more.

Just...bleargh.

Liz, I'm in academia (research scientist employed at a university). It's a lot less formal here than in corporate work.

Besides, I thought you worked for Styro? At least if he gives you any hassle, you're allowed to hit him...
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven