Thread: Barad Dur and Orthanc.

Barad Dur and Orthanc.

Since Nem. had a weeks worth of pre emptive discussion, I thought I would open the floor for discussion on the next film on everyones mind...

The Two Towers.

What are everyones impressions (from what little has been released) and hopes for the up coming release?

My impressions are this movie is going to be every bit as good as FOTR, if not better. I've heard very few bad things so far, and a lot of good things.

The soundtrack rocks. I just finished reading the book for the first time; it rocks.

I haven't geeked out over something for a long time, and I have to admit it feels kinda good and fun to be doing so now.

My number one regret is that I didn't read the books earlier. To my good friend Matt, who's been trying to get me to read the LOTR for 10 years, You Were Right. They rock on lembas.

Everything I've seen absolutely rocks... Helm's Deep looks to be outstanding.

I can't wait to see what they do with Minas Trith and the Battle of the Pellan (sp) Fields.

When the 3 movies are done I'm gonna watch the extended versions back to back....
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Did anybody see the "Return to Middle Earth" special about TTT? The behind-the-scenes footage from Helm's Deep reminded me a lot of a big SCA battle, and those can be mind-blowing intense experiences.

As for Gollum... he totally creeped me out. It's like they took a brain recording of the way I thought his voice ought to sound. Gave me shivers every time he spoke.

And they actually built Edoras, and Helm's Deep! Those aren't just digital creations filled in on the blue screen behind the actors. They were really there!
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

The Two Towers

I am so psyched, I can barely contain myself.

My impression is, like Ineti, that the Two Towers should be every bit as good or better than The Fellowship.

Purist taking a swat:

For whatever reasons, Jackson has added Haldir and a bunch of other Elves to the battle at Helm's Deep, and it seems to me that it might be Arwen bringing Aragorn his re-forged sword and standard, instead of Elladan and Elrohir (and Halbarad and the group of Rangers) just bringing his standard before he and the company brave the Paths of the Dead. (IIRC, Narsil was reforged into Anduril way back in Rivendell!) I haven't noticed anything of the paths in the bits I've seen on the web, so it better not get cut out! It's critical to the story! Unlike Tom Bombadil.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be other bits changed around and moved out of place to make the film better for the cinema. As long as the main gist of the story is intact (like the Fellowship) I won't complain! Quite the contrary, I'll probably see the dang film a half-dozen times in a week.

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Re: The Two Towers

Originally posted by Steven A Cook
    (IIRC, Narsil was reforged into Anduril way back in Rivendell!)
    Speaking of which....is the sword Aragorn has in the later parts of FOTR Anduril or not? The book seems to indicate that Narsil was re-forged and given to him before the Fellowship leaves Rivendell.

I would have thought something like that would have been important enough to merit some screen-time... Maybe we'll see it in TTT or maybe PJ is saving it for Return of the King?

I'm with you Steven! My wife and I are seeing TTT Wednesday, and I have plans to see it this weekend twice more (once with my folks and once with my sister and brother in law). I'm sure we'll squeeze in a few more viewings here and there.

I believe that Narsil (Anduil) was given to Aragorn at Rivendell, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Galadriel's gift to Aragorn a scabbard for Narsil?

Originally posted by Phantom
    I believe that Narsil (Anduil) was given to Aragorn at Rivendell, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Galadriel's gift to Aragorn a scabbard for Narsil?
    In the book yes but movie no. Just as Aragon carried another sword on the FOTR where in the book he carried the broken sword.

But, if you take a close look at the sword he uses in the battle with the Uruk-Hai at the end of FOTR, it is a different sword from the one used early on.

The sword that Aragorn useds in the mines of Moria looks a heck of a lot like Narsil.

I took a long look at the hilt during that scene in Rivendell when Boromir held the sword.

Then I freeze-framed the extended version of the battle in the Mines of Moria, when Aragorn threw the sword at a Ork. The hilt looks pretty close, if not identical.

Not conclusive evidence but close enough for me.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

It maybe but for some reason I doubt after having Boromir look at it that it would be reforged given to Aragorn without any mention unless the scene was cut which means it would have been at least included in the extended ed. which it is not.

Also From the art Gallery book I have has Narsil having a half circle near the bottem of the blade which was placed there when the ring was cut off and I think is supposed to be left there when it is reforged. The art Book also has no pics of Anduril (the swords new name) of what it was to look like reforged (the pic in it only deal with FOTR).
    Most likely they did switch swords he was using but I still feel it is not Anduril.

Also in the movie extended ed. Galadrial's gift was not the scabbard if I remember correctly (Only watched the extended once so far).

Re: The Two Towers

Originally posted by Steven A Cook
    For whatever reasons, Jackson has added Haldir and a bunch of other Elves to the battle at Helm's Deep, and it seems to me that it might be Arwen bringing Aragorn his re-forged sword and standard, instead of Elladan and Elrohir (and Halbarad and the group of Rangers) just bringing his standard before he and the company brave the Paths of the Dead.
    You won't be seeing that in the Two Towers (though possibly in that film due out next year).

For any other purists out there, be prepared. Peter Jackson has made it known that this is the film where he made the greatest departures from the book. He's made up new stuff, moved a few locations around, condensed a few characters and locations here and there, and ended the movie at a different point than the books (at the departure from Faramir for Frodo and Sam, right after the battle of Helm's Deep for everyone else, I believe)

If you go in primed with this knowledge, you probably won't be thrown by the fact that it doesn't adhere to the story as closely as Fellowship did, and will be able to enjoy it better.

[i]Originally posted by prophetsteve[\i]
    The sword that Aragorn useds in the mines of Moria looks a heck of a lot like Narsil.

I took a long look at the hilt during that scene in Rivendell when Boromir held the sword.

Then I freeze-framed the extended version of the battle in the Mines of Moria, when Aragorn threw the sword at a Ork. The hilt looks pretty close, if not identical.
    Nope. Aragorn uses the same sword throughout the movie. Perhaps a better scene to freeze-frame would be the one where Frodo falls in the snow and Borimir gets to pick up the ring: you get a great shot of Aragorn taking his hand of the hilt. Narsil has a scallop-shaped pommel with a hole through it. Aragorn's sword has an ovoid pommel without a hole in it.

Besides, the sword Aragorn throws into an Orc in the Balin's Tomb scene is actually Boromir's sword (he dropped it when the Troll whipped him across the room).

-Chris Landmark
    (I'm going tomorrow, at lunch time...)
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

I recently saw the TT sound track in a local music store, anyone picked it up? How good is it?

Phantom, IIRC, Ineti has nothing but praise for the soundtrack. I need to pick it up myself, but I want to see the movie first.

That's the thing that really sucks about working swing shift. I can't see movies until the weekend, and it's probably going to be packed when I get there.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Phantom
    I recently saw the TT sound track in a local music store, anyone picked it up? How good is it?
    Sarge is correct; I have nothing but love for this soundtrack. If you liked the FOTR soundtrack, you'll like this one. Simple as that. The Rohan themes are very nice, quite Celtic in feel.

Check it out.