Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LUG vs Decipher

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Re: Re: Okay, that was a bit of an insult.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Hmm, let's see;

1) Nice resume.
    2) I never called you a "munchkin fanboy."
    3)Never called your opinions into doubt. I said you were 'going a little overboard' with your description.
    4) I apologize if you were insulted, though I'm not sure where the insult was?

I would be most interested in reading some of your reviews, if I knew where to find them.
    1. Thank you. I only wish that it was worth more than being able to say, "I have a pretty decent idea of what constitutes a good RPG."

2. And I didn't say you did. But I feel you dismissed me out of hand in your post, and felt the need to defend my position.

4. In how you dismissed me, but that's downstream of the bridge now. I've vented and I feel better.

I think I have those links at home. When I get back after work, I'll try to dig them up and post them.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Excellent! I look forward to seeing the reviews.

And once again, I didn't intend to dismiss you out of hand. If I did, then apologies are offered.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Excellent! I look forward to seeing the reviews.
    Well, I haven't forgotten, but it seems that the emails from the site webmasters were on my old computer (which died about 3 months ago...files were unrecoverable).

I'll see if I can chase them down.

grumble, grumble, grumble....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Okay I got my Decipher books yesterday, started reading the player's book...

Wow! I must say I'm really impressed by the book... I don't know, but somehow it just FEELS better than LUG...

One problem I have is with the character sheet... ick How are you supposed to write specializations in those small boxes?

Ah well, I look forward to finishing the player's book, and starting the narrator's book soon

Merry Christmas to all!
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by Sea Tyger

I'll see if I can chase them down.
    Ha! Found one!

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_6714.html
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

As far as the LUG vs. CODA debate goes, my group and I prefer ICON...

My primary opinion when the talk of the new system began was "It ain't broke, why fix it?"

And before anyone says "Try CODA out, you'll like it...", hey, I did. Too confusing, too technical.

I like a system that only takes about 5 minutes to generate a character.

Now, as for the Decipher Narrator's Guide, okay, I'll give you that. It's pretty good as far as starship generation and alien races go...but I get a lot of the same results with my LUG books and some imagination.

I look at this overall like the debate between TNG and TOS. I used to say it was like Classic Coke and New Coke. Some like Classic, some like new. Some like both.

More power to you either way.

Thus endeth my two cents on the topic.
    "Jenny, allow me to write the stupid bastard a prescription..."

"How long have you been wanting to say that?"

"Thought of it last Tuesday."

-- The Doctor and Jenny Sparks (The Authority #2)

Originally posted by The Midnighter
    I like a system that only takes about 5 minutes to generate a character.
    Any you like ICON? No Icon character I've ever made or any of my players ever made took less than 20 minutes to create. Coda characters take a while too, but that's because we're flipping through the book looking at edges, flaws, skills, orders, etc. and finding what we want.

I liked ICON in the beginning but finished to find it unmanageable. Even with giving 1 XP per session, we played so much we finished to reach a point where all players had 6's in their fields of expertise, +2 to edges and 5 to the attributes. And then, where can you go? All your rolls are determined with the drama die. Made me dislike ICON a lot.

CODA is less "rough". I not only like it, it was a vital necessity to our group to have once again "somewhere to spend the XPs".

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek