Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LUG vs Decipher

Question LUG vs Decipher

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new TrekRPG gamemaster, and I have a question for those of you with much more experience under your belts

I have my group playing under the LUG edition of the rulebook, because my friend had a set of these books lying around. If I were to upgrade to the Decipher version, how different is it from LUG? And would it be worth the switch?

Thanks for your help!
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Most people (emphasis on "most") seem to prefer the Decipher (Coda) version over the LUG (Icon) version. While the Decipher version is woefully short on support right now (no products beyond the two core books), those two books provide a variety of tools to run a successful Trek campaign. You can even use your LUG product without too much alteration.

The largest complaint has been some people having difficulty in understanding the character creation rules in Coda on the first pass--something that improves with experience. The Player's Guide isn't very well organized, sadly.

Hope that helps.

If you decide to play CODA, I'd advise you to get the Conversion guidelines from this forum. They are very useful, since you can convert almost any LUG character stats into CODA stats (ships, tools and weapons maybe a bit more tricky), thus allowing you to use most of the LUG stuff with CODA.

Oh, and personnally, I think the switch is worth it
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Personally for all its flaws I perfer LUGs version. I just don't get the 'building the character from the ground up' with coda as I do with lug. I also like the idea of speacilizations, which LUG has more of, a person just dosen't know all aspects of a skill equally well.

I do have to say I like the CODA ships and ship combat system better then LUG, however.

I've never really had a problem making a character in the CODA system, though you do have to do alot of page flipping.

Hey Don! Your Nemisis is back.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Perrryyy Guest
    Transwarrrp Perrryyy prefers LUG to CODA....

but I'm working on Rock-Paper-Scissors Trek

poster

Perrryyy Guest

Talking

Pretty much

Rock is the "no-drama die"

If rock breaks, the Pakled just beat you in 3d chess

poster

Perrryyy Guest
    Troi crashes the ship into a planet

poster

I and my group prefer Coda... gameplay flows better, it doesn't have that damned Drama Die (our fix was to replace it with an "additional sixes add one to the total" mechanic like that used in Dream Pod 9's Silhouette system), and it far more elegantly integrates starship combat into the roleplaying process.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I also prefer Lug over coda

Talking

Way, way prefer LUG to Coda.
    Prefer FASA to Coda.
    Prefer Root Canal at Dentist to Coda.

OK. Maybe not.

AndorMan
    Here There Be Andorians

poster