Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LOTR called racist

Originally posted by Pelagius
    Corsairs of Umbar! Although called Black Numenorean does not mean not caucasian.
    Ya mean like the black Irish?
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    I hear that Sauroman no longer enslaves the shire in the 'Return of the King', simply to close the film neater...

Among other things...
    Dan, I think I'll have to vote agaist that, since Frodo gets that glimpse in pool/mirror thingy w/ Galadriel, of the shire burning, and hobbits in chains, (Mayhap even Samwise...) I'd believe that that part was filmed, and I'd think if it was filmed, it'd be used. if for nothing else than to tie those two scenes together... So, here's to hoping you're wrong.
    If you give a monkey control over it's environment, it will fill the world with bananas, and whereas that is a great accomplishment, it's still a very stupid thing to do. --Doctor Who #2

Peter Jackson established it in the audio commentary to FOTR, that the scene in Galadriel's mirror was a nod to the "Scrounging of the Shire" chapter in the book, which will NOT be included in the 3rd movie.

While I enjoyed the chapter in the book I don't think I'll miss it in the movies. (As opposed to Tom Bombadil.) YMMV
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

Egad. I hope they at least put it in the extended DVD.

The Scouring of the Shire is IMO important; it shows a lot of the Hobbit's character development; i.e. Sam cares, Merry & Pippin fight, Sharky dies, etc.
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

I found his article to be very interesting... especially the last part about the victors writing the history.

My current D&D character is aligned Lawful Neutral... I thought it would be interesting to play the honorable-but-not-quite-nice type. My inspiration is the old Robotech/ Palladuim alignment of "Aberrant"...

I actually considered Lawful Evil, but thought that my fellow players might react poorly without giving it a chance.

Originally posted by Argyle
    David Brin wrote an essay about Tolkien that I found interesting. I got the link off Slashdot, but the version found at his personal website wasn't cut down as much.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Shapiro shows such a level of ignorance that it becomes comical

“For instance, the fellowship is portrayed as über-Aryan, very white and there is the notion that they are a vanishing group under the advent of the other, evil ethnic groups.”

And:

“Hobbits as amazingly white?”
    So, Gimli and the hobbits are a group of tall, white, blond, blue-eyed guys? Did I read the same book that this guy?

I think this guy hasn’t even read the book, likely, he only saw the movie.

"For instance, the dwarves were his notion of what Scots were like. It is like a southern England cliche of a dour, muscular race and that represents the Scots in the book. "
    Let me see, they had typically Scottish names as Gimli, Oin, Nain, Gloin, Thrain, Thorin, Durin, etc. Yep, all typical Scottish names... and they all dress in kilts and play bagpipes, sure

Oh, and get ready for the really big shock, you know about the Corsairs of Umbar? Well, originally they were known as “Black Numenorians”, only they were white and had blue eyes and blond hair! But, hey! What matters is that they were called Black Numenorians, right?
    We come, we are not seen, and inevitably, we conquer.

First and Last, there is Duty.

Romulan Proverbs

Originally posted by Janus
    Oh, and get ready for the really big shock, you know about the Corsairs of Umbar? Well, originally they were known as “Black Numenorians”, only they were white and had blue eyes and blond hair! But, hey! What matters is that they were called Black Numenorians, right?
    You're right! This is an outrage! I'm never listening to 'White Christmas' again!!
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Oh geez, more fuel for the fire...

Just saw TTT and it showed

M
    I
    N
    O
    R

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

the Haradrim marching into Mordor. They had veiled faces and I got the impression that they'd have Arabic features. Guess that proves all the ivory tower professors are right; JRRT was a racist and a bigot.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Unless my mother's husband, his family and his friends have been lying about their origins, I doubt Arabic features are much different from Caucasian (and looking at the skin tones of the Haradrim, they seemed too pale to be persian)...

I do wonder who the elves were.. Maybe you should remember who the hobbits were, and from there, if the dwarves are scotsmen, I wonder who really has it better...