Thread: Renown: Integrity, Luck

Renown: Integrity, Luck

I've found discussions of these renown aspects here on the boards, but I'm wondering if there's an official download or more information on the creators' sites. Anyone?

Luck Renown was something I came up with for my Star Trek: Relic campaign - click on the link below, then follow the links through Star Trek: Universe to House Rules.

As for Integrity, that was mine. I haven't come up with official rules, but if anyone wants them I'd be happy to oblige.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

One can easily award the Fame edge for integrity or luck, in addition to the original LUG aspects (or the Infamy flaw, if the incident earning the award has negative connotations).
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I assume you're talking about the equivalent of LUG's Advantages/Disadvantages in CODA. Not really applicable for ICON - an Advantage or Disadvantage (say, Famous Incident or Bad Reputation) of that type involves the allocation of Renown, which brings us right back to the original question.

Remember, although written by the same people, ICON and CODA are completely different systems and do not work the same way.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    I assume you're talking about the equivalent of LUG's Advantages/Disadvantages in CODA.
    If you were referring to my comments, you are quite incorrect in your assumptions. Together, the Fame and Infamy traits from CODA Trek duplicate the effects of Renown aspects from ICON Trek. No additional rules are necessary to include a new aspect such as either of those central to this thread.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

Well, actually, a whole new set of rules is required - two whole books worth, to the tune of $60-70 US ($100.00 CDN).

The original author was asking about a couple of fan refinements to the ICON system. You replied with a CODA rule, which, when translated back into the ICON system needs exactly the same fix he was asking about.

Sure, he didn't specify the ICON system in the subject line (and the question should probably have been asked in the General Star Trek Game Mechanics Forum), but surely his intent was obvious from the actual question he asked. CODA uses an entirely different set of game mechanics from ICON. Your answer was no more useful than a reference to the LUC stat from the FASA version of the game.

You are correct: he should have asked the question in the General RP section, or indicated that he had ICON in mind (if in fact he did).

Considering the frequency with which people ask about rules for Renown aspects in CODA, I assumed (and yes, I entertained the notion that I was incorrect) that the question might very well have been about CODA even though this was unstated by the author. I provided a quick, easy answer while awaiting clarification, complete with page references. You couldn't even be bothered to give the man a direct link to your rules. Tsk.

Fabulous Owen! Thanks! And erhershman, I'd love to see somethin written up . We're planning to use them in a Trek mush (online game, text-only, similar to muds but not combat oriented)...looking to be a great bit 'o' fun already .
    Last edited by Antra; 12-23-2002 at 11:15 AM.

Time for an attitude check, RaconteurX.

"indicated that he had ICON in mind (if in fact he did)."

Considering that he was specifically referring to ICON game mechanics and referencing ICON discussion threads, it's a very reasonable assumption.

"You couldn't even be bothered to give the man a direct link to your rules. Tsk".

I always prefer that first time visitors go in through the front page - they can go to individual pages directly later on.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    Time for an attitude check, RaconteurX.
    You're the one who started with the insults, Owen, so don't tell me to check my attitude. When someone posts to a CODA board, I personally don't assume he's asking about ICON. Please save us all the trouble and just go f*ck yourself whenever you feel inclined to belittle the intellect of others out of an alleged sense of superiority. You aren't even remotely superior in intellect, as a truly intelligent person does not assume anything.

Huh? I threw no insults. If you thought I was insulting you, I'm sorry, that was not my intent. However, this is not the CODA Forum. This is the Narrator's Ready Roomwhich is for, and I quote, Questions and topics on Narrating Star Trek episodes, regardless of the system.

Anyway, I'm glad Antra found the rules useful. As for erhershman's Integrity Renown, I'd suggest that it also be awarded only in play, and be based on how "honourably" the character is played. Integrity should be awarded when the PC keeps their word regardless of personal inconvenience. You may wish to give bonus Renown for persons with some Codes of Honour Disadvantages, but give negative Integrity Renown when such a character violates their Code. Just a thought.

While I left this in Narrator's for a while to see where discussion focused, this probably should be in the General RPG area.

Folks, try to keep it clean, no need for insults - it is a good way to gain Aggression Renown.

-Dan, Moderator