Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirror Ships

Arrow

I prefer the term "alternate universe." It just that this particular alternate universe is being termed the Mirror Universe by Kirk and later by the Federation.

IOW, the name's stuck.

Some could also theorize that perhaps this Mirror Universe is possibly the result of parallel realities, where a choice is made long ago about establishing a United Federation of Planets in the mutual interest of peaceful coexistance and common defense... or a conquering Terran Empire.

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 01-03-2001).]

One thing we haven't seen from the mirror universe is the Romulan Star Empire!

Think of the possibilities of a Mirror Universe game with the Romulan Navy as passionate but scrupulus knights in shining armor... Especially if they are infiltrated by Romulans from "our" Trek universe...

------------------
    Even in this age of technological wonders, the human mind is still the most powerful weapon in the universe.

I believe it was stated on screen that in the DS9 Mirror Universe, the Klingons had completely wiped out the Romulans. Gone, to the last pointy-eared one, not just enslaved like the Terran Empire.

Don't let that stop you from putting them in your own version, though...

A rebel mission to contact the Romulans for support in their fight against the Alliance was mentioned at some point. However, this might have been contradicted by later episodes.

Originally posted by Lt. Suvek:
    To be honest, I have to disagree with the change that DS9 brought to the "Mirror Universe". When the Terran Empire fell, the Mirror Universe ceased to parallel the events from "our" universe. After all, isn't that what a mirror realy does? Copy the actions of its "real world" counterpart?
    As Rom points out, the "Mirror" universe isn't really a true mirror... it's more a twisted reflection... a fun-house mirror.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Flamestrike, I really like the idea of Romulan paladins. I might throw a curve at my players by bringing one of them to "our" reality.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Well.. Something to consider.. what if Surak was never born? or the Romulans never left vulcan in the mirror universe? that would explain that group.. as foir Earth, the Eastern Coalition took over Zephram Cochrane's phoenix project.. and well there you go...

A few things, concerning the Mirror Universe.

1) Consider that the Romulans would be dead, even before the transporter accident that sent Kirk and his crew to the Mirror Universe.

As the First Romulan War, had been rather bloody and very savage it is doubtful the terran Empire would have allowed the Romulans to continue to exist. Or at the most, and highly doubtful, they would have ended up as a slave race.

2) That the DS9 version could not actually be considered the Mirror Universe as it breaks away from the events of the "true" star trek universe, it could only be considered a parallel universe.

(not to mention, the DS9 version was so bad, I hardly think it
    worth mentioning. Bajorans, and Klingons destroying the Empire, please. Led by Tribble Death Commandos no doubt.)

3) As for the Ships, of the Terran Empire in a TNG Era, I will give the details from the Novel Dark Mirror (Superior to any DS9 Mirror Episode), the following are descriptions of the Mirror version of the Enterprise-D. The ICC 1701-D Enterprise

"It was Enterprise. But not his Enterprise. It was dark gray, even enlarged, a gunmetal color, cool and unfriendly. But the Secondary hull seemed larger; the nacelles were raked farther foward, and lower. The primary hull's curve was deeper and now had a frowning look bout it. It was a cruel look, and intimidating."

- This is Captain Picards thoughts on seeing the Mirror Enterprise for the fist time.

On the internals of the ship, we go to another passage :

"I am uncertain wether the scan we are seeing is being directed by someone aboard the ship or is an automatic function," Data said. "But one thing is certain: this Enterprise has many more internal visual pickups than our own does. There are the usual video pickups associated with personal viewscreens and data readout locations, as well as the basic security surveillance system in high security areas like engineering and the computer cores...but also many more,spread throughout the ship,even in crew quarters. Moreover, those appear not to be under the control of the occupants. The implications are...distressing."

A description of the Bridge-

"It was the Bridge. At least, the shape was the same, and the general structure of it. But there were differences.

It was darker. Paneling and furnishings were in the same gunmetal gray as the exterior of the ship, with lines of paler gray being used more as a highlighting than anything else. The computer installations around the upper tier, too, were different. The engineering station about as it should have been, but mission Ops and the science stations were much reduced, and combined with engineering. Every other station in the upper tier, from the starboard lifts to the main viewer, was now part of a long sweep of weapons-control consoles, with crewmen standing at them, unnervingly vigilant. Riker stared at those consoles, with tree upon tree of power-level readins and weapon status readouts; he thought of the kind of phaser power and photon torpedo loads this vessel must be carrying...and he felt like shuddering.

It was not just the emphasis on weaponry: it was that combined with the general look of the bridge, for though dark, it was also mor luxurious than his own Enterprise's. The three center seats, had a plush easy chair look about them, and the centermost of them, the captain's chair, looked more like a throne than anything else. You were plainly meant to enjoy sitting in them, at the heart of all this deadly power. Just as plainly to Riker, you were ment to enjoy using it."

As for weapons-

"He walked quietly past the bank after bank of weaponry control and status readouts. The controls for photon torpedoes, and the master status boards for the phaser banks he understood. There were other panels new to him, giving status in numbers of "disassociation packages", "sterilizers", "nova devices".

There were large spaces showing in the primary hull, areas that were formerly subdivided into family quarters, entertainment areas, gyms, libraries: even the arboretum was gone. He saw several of of those large areas labeled Primary, Secondary, Teriatary Disassociator Storage; Mass Weapons Transporter One, Two; Razor Field Generation; Terraforming Equipment: Atomics. Atomics in several different flavors.

This Enterprise could hold high warp speeds to judge by the engine ratings here, for three or four times as long as his own Enterprise. It could also feed much larger reserves of power to the phasers than his own could. He had already been upset by the photon torpedo compliment, six times what his own ship had on board."

So my thoughts would be:

1) Increase weapon compliment, and type. Use disruptors, as well as Romulan plasma weapons on Starfleet ships.

2) Increase shield power

3) Get rid of non military type items (lounges, rec rooms, single quarters (except for officers))

4) Increase Warp power

Hope this helped anyone planning on a Mirror campaign, or just an adventure.

Brrr.

Originally posted by Lee T Holstein
    A few things, concerning the Mirror Universe.

(snip)
    As for weapons-

"He walked quietly past the bank after bank of weaponry control and status readouts. The controls for photon torpedoes, and the master status boards for the phaser banks he understood. There were other panels new to him, giving status in numbers of "disassociation packages", "sterilizers", "nova devices".

There were large spaces showing in the primary hull, areas that were formerly subdivided into family quarters, entertainment areas, gyms, libraries: even the arboretum was gone. He saw several of of those large areas labeled Primary, Secondary, Teriatary Disassociator Storage; Mass Weapons Transporter One, Two; Razor Field Generation; Terraforming Equipment: Atomics. Atomics in several different flavors.

(snip)

First, thanks for taking the time to type out the passages from "Dark Mirror." I'd forgotten how much I liked that book and I kick myself for selling my copy to the used book store.

One thing in the above passage has me cackling with Mad Narrator glee and would have me quaking in my boots if such a thing were real:

The Disassociator. Although the passage above suggests that there is storage for the Disassociator equipment, when I first read it here, I was thinking that it was storage for the result of its use.

In other words, it suggested to me that the Empire developed a very nasty weapons application for the transporter!

Imagine beaming up an enemy (or large chunks of an army) and instead of re-integrating him, you distribute his base matter to the ship's matter stores for use by the replicator systems!

Brrr.

Romulan In Shining Armor

Originally posted by Flamestrike
    One thing we haven't seen from the mirror universe is the Romulan Star Empire!

Think of the possibilities of a Mirror Universe game with the Romulan Navy as passionate but scrupulus knights in shining armor... Especially if they are infiltrated by Romulans from "our" Trek universe...

------------------
    Even in this age of technological wonders, the human mind is still the most powerful weapon in the universe.
    Cool idea! How about Romulans like the British Marines or Imperial French army ?

How about clannish under-dog Romulans similar to the medieval Scots ?

Make the Tal Shiar like the Knights Templar or the Hospitallers.

Neat!

Youre not close to wrong on the disassociater. Later on it is described as a weapon created from captured Romulan tech, from the first Romulan war.

The Terran Empire used it to blow up Remus, supposedly it turns the planet into what I would consider chunks in a more portable form. Actually if you consider the Terran Empire as Ford's Klingons, you wouldnt be far from wrong.