View Poll Results: What's the best 1980s sci-fi show?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien Nation

2 4.35%
  • Amazing Stories

0 0%
  • Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

1 2.17%
  • Max Headroom

4 8.70%
  • STar Trek: The Next Generation

28 60.87%
  • Quantum Leap

3 6.52%
  • Red Dwarf

6 13.04%
  • Starman

0 0%
  • The Twilight Zone (redux)

0 0%
  • Other

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best '80s sci-fi show

Best '80s sci-fi show

Figured I'd get to it before someone else did...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Hey, you forgot "The Man From Atlantis".

And "Manimal".

Those were high quality shows, y'know! (Not!)

And you forgot "V". Y'know, the one with the lizards from space invading Earth. I actually liked that series back then. Saw every episode but the last one (and I regret missing the last episode to this day, because it was never re-aired!)

And "Buck Rogers" was still on the air, I seem to recall.

And you totally forgot Brit TV. Peter Davidson was great as Dr. Who. And there was "The Tripods" as well.

Get the facts, man!
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Lt. Jabara Eris
    DS18 Station Counselor, Prylar and All-Around Groovy Guy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... Let us never forget Bajor's sacrifices under the Cardassian Occupation ...
    ... http://remember-forever.tripod.com ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...and I only had 10 spaces. Actually, I almost put Manimal on there to reaaaaly offend.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Perrryyy Guest

Thumbs up

Yep. TNG

I gottagottagotta go with the M-M-Maxman, you know.

I mean, blipverts rule, baby!

S-S-So, so, so, how we feelin' today, hmmm?

Doctor Who, all the way.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

The master reviews the list of the Padawan

Alien Nation

Ground breaking Sci Fi without doubt, but it was originally a movie and I would have not considered for a list as it was not originally developed for TV.

Amazing Stories

Good storys and good acting however much of he ground covered had already been largely covered by Twilight Zone/Outer Limits in the 60's and Night Gallery in the 70's. In the end it did not add much to the artform in the end.

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

OK, British and was not to be included on my original list.

Max Headroom

Please! the first travisty of great specicial effects tomented by poor writing and acting.

Star Trek: The Next Generation

OK, you say how can I say this would be included and not be a Hypocrite for not including Amazing Stoies simple GR put enough new stuff into TNG to make it fresh and original.

Quantum Leap

Without doubt on the list

Red Dwarf
    British TV

Starman
    You have me here, I had not considered Starman, However it was material rehashed, at time not very good for TV from a Motion Picture and thus I would not have conisdered it further. Not to mention its relation in story to another former show called Phonix

The Twilight Zone (redux)
    remakes don't count especially when they even reuse scripts

So what would have been my list?

V
    Totally new and ground breaking for TV even if the Series was hampered by poor values and poor casting. the basic concept which would have made a better regular series would have made this a great series.

ALF
    (DUcks the pans flown at him) Sorry but TV Sci Fi sitcoms had largely died by the time Alf appeared. It was sappy, hammy and corny but it was fanny, warm and original and the animated series was even better.

Star Trek TNG
    Quantum Leap

And in the end I would have conceded my own rules which I had already done once before with Planet of the Apes and put Alien Nation due to its importance and fan base on the list

V
    ALF
    Star Trek TNG
    Quantum Leap
    Alien Nation
    Other

Gotta go with ST: TNG. But how can one not enjoy Red Dwarf. If not, you're a shmeg head.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

had to pick TNG; quality TV at its best- what resparked interest in sci-fi in general in the last 80's/early 90's.

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Max Headroom, despite the annoyance of the stuttering AI running a flawed ghost program of the main character. You wouldn't see decent cyberpunk on tv again until Dark Angel. (Granted, you wouldn't see any cyberpunk on tv again until Dark Angel... unless you count 2nd season of War of the Worlds)
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Other... Quantum Leap.
    Some define peace as the absense of war. I rather define it as the prevailance of liberty

Cool Max Rocked

M-m-m-mMAx Headroom coming live and direct here on Network 23...

Ahhhh the days.....Thanks for the memories

Max too smart for TV....too bad it had to go

Capt. Pike:
    "I'm tired of being responsible for 203 lives. I'm tired of deciding who goes on the landing party and who doesn't... and who lives... and who dies. "

Max Headroom, hands down.

Between it and the movie Aliens, got me into Cyberpunk and dark future type stuff, of which I still have yet to tire of.

If I was to choose a runner up it would be:

Misfits of Science.

*Pause*

*Looks Around*

Guess I was the only fan. Probably why it didn't last a full season...
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams