Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Other Aliens vs. Trek Aliens

"OK . . . I'm going to throw it out there. Where are my spacefaring Smurfs?"

Huh? this is a thread about bringing races from other sources into a Trek game. Andorians are native to Trek. I don't understand your quest---Ow! Quit hitting!

Some one posted something about Anime Races . . . how about the Zentradi from the old Robotech/Macross Anime of the early 1980's . . . anyone up to fighting against 24 foot tall human like aliens . . . with ships to match?

As for the Jurai . . . it would be interesting to see their ships and how they would match with ST Tech. I mean we've dealt with living ships before, but rarely. I mean Gumto . . . that one Delta Quadrant species that the Borg really didn't like.

And whatabout these self-thinking Borg that Voyager helped liberate . . . there's something.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I've been considering using the Thranx, from Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Thranx actually would be a pretty good fit.
    make them ancestral enemies of the GORN instead of the A'An (i think thats what the reptile race is the humanx commonwealth books is called...) and place them near the spiral edge of the federation, maybe a small confederation of the homeworld and 1 to 6 colony worlds?

hell, I'd even help you right them up for CODA.
    off the top of my head,
    Keen Hearing
    Keen Smell
    The equivalent of Four Lobbed brain
    extra manipulators
    Chitinous body would screw them up some too.
    hmmm what else..oh yes
    Smell Nice! (+1 reaction roll to humanoid races) - that was actually a stressed characteristic of the 'first contact' humanx books. I mean yeah they're big giant preying mantis bugs, but they're pretty colors and the smell like lilacs...lol

Lightbulb

By the end of this month, I want to pit my players as Borg vs. Daleks using CODA rules, so I used the 'Typical Borg Drone' from Book 5 'Aliens' as basis of comparison.
    What do you think of my Dalek statblock so far?

Dalek
    Species: Dalek

Species Abilities: Armor, Emergency Temporal Shift, Fly, Mechanical Body, Self Destruct. Species Flaw: Arrogant.

Attributes: Agl 4 (+0), Int 9 (+1), Per 8 (+1), Prs 9 (+1), Str 9 (+1), Vit 10 (+2)

Reactions: Quik 1, Savv 1, Stam 2, Will 2

Profession(s):

Professional Abilities: None

Advancements:

Skills:
    Armed combat
    Appraise
    Athletics (Run)
    Computer Use (Retrieve) +6
    Conceal
    Construct +4
    Craft
    Demolitions +3
    Engineering: Propulsion Engineering
    Engineering: Structural Engineering
    Engineering: Systems Engineering +4
    Enterprise: Administration
    Entertain
    First Aid
    Forgery
    Gaming
    Gymnastics
    Impersonate
    Indoctrinate
    Influence
    Inquire
    Investigate
    Knowledge: Culture
    Knowledge: History
    Knowledge: Law
    Knowledge: Politics
    Knowledge: Religion
    Knowledge: Specific World
    Language (Dalek) +3
    Medicine
    Mind Meld
    Mind Shield
    Negotiate
    Observe
    Persuade
    Ranged combat: Archaic Weapons
    Ranged combat: Energy Weapons (Particle Beam) +4 (Kill a Humanoid or 5D6+18)
    Ranged combat: Projectile Weapons
    Repair +4
    Science: Life Science (Dalek Collective Database) +3
    Science: Physical Science (Dalek Collective Database) +3
    Science: Planetary Science (Dalek Collective Database) +3
    Science: Social Science (Dalek Collective Database) +3
    Science: Space Science (Dalek Collective Database) +3
    Sleight of Hand
    Sport
    Stealth
    Survival
    System Operation
    Tactics (Dalek Collective Database) +3
    Unarmed Combat (Manipulator Arm – Grapple scan interface computers or living beings) +4

Edges: Confident.

Flaws: Arrogant, Enemy (The Doctor).

Defense: 7 (But shield deflects 24 damage)

Health: 11
    OOOOOOOOOOO Healthy
    OOOOOOOOOOO Dazed -1
    OOOOOOOOOOO Injured -3
    OOOOOOOOOOO Wounded -5
    OOOOOOOOOOO Incapacitated -7
    OOOOOOOOOOO Near Death -9 (Emergency Temporal Shift or Self Destruct within 10 meters 4D6+2 damage)

Courage: 0

Renown:

"Identify! Obey! You are an enemy of the DALEKS! EXTERMINATE!"

Thumbs up

Last Saturday I finally narrated my homebrewed Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover ‘Dalek vs. Borg’ for a group of 6 newcomers to the game at a Star Trek fan gathering in the Netherlands.

I’d translated the attributes of the Daleks from Cubicle 7’s Doctor Who Roleplaying Game as well as I could to CODA, by assuming Borg as being generally equal to Cybermen. I also compared the weapon effects in both systems using humans, walls of various materials as targets and comparing the outcomes. I assume that a Dalek Particle Beam has the same effect as a ‘Light Disrupt A’; (=Kill a Humanoid, cut a 1m hole in a Duranium bulkhead in 10 minutes.) The effect of a Light Disrupt B (=Vaporize a Humanoid) seemed a bit too powerful and doesn’t compare to what we see in the series. I’ve also compared shields. In the newseries episode ‘Dalek’ the Doctor tells contemporary soldiers carrying assault rifles to aim for the eyestalks and dome in order to get past the shields and do damage. In CODA an assault rifle does a maximum of 26 damage, so I figured that a Dalek shield must be like a ‘Heavily Armored Security Door’ and negates the first 24 damage as a threshold so that an assault rifle at best would only do 2 damage with each hit, taking about 33 hits to take out a Dalek. In that same episode the whole platoon can’t penetrate the Daleks' shield. (apparently they didn’t roll high enough)
    A typical Borg would be dead after 3 maximum hits in this case, unless he managed to adapt after the first hit. In order to keep this demonstrative session short and exciting for the Borg PC's, I made the Dalek PC's a bit more vulnerable and ruled that passing the threshold two times would disable the Dalek shields. This played out rather well.

Here are a couple of shots of us playing this scenario:

And this is how the story unfolded:
    Stardate UNKNOWN. The Daleks were on their way to install a Time Conduit, until they detected a chroniton field in a Time Corridor. Expecting to find the TARDIS, they flew their enormous saucer straight to the source. In reality, the chroniton field originated from a Borg cube on a scouting mission through a Transwarp Corridor from the Delta Quadrant to the Alpha Quadrant. Both mileswide vessels collided, and crashed into normal space onto the surface of a desolate, rocky planet with normal gravity only a couple of yards apart. Humans couldn’t survive in this low-oxygen environment, but it’s no hindrance to either Borg or Daleks.
    While the Borg collective consisting of over 600.000 drones regenerated, they sent out a taskforce of 3 drones to assimilate the enemy ship and its crew for parts. The Red Supreme Dalek also sent out a taskforce of 3 bronze Daleks on a scavenger hunt. Between both parties there were some ancient stone ruins which the Borg instantly used for cover. Both parties didn’t succeed in scanning each other effectively, so the Daleks suspected that they were dealing with some type of Cybermen. As soon as they saw each other, all three Daleks reacted the quickest and screaming: “You-are-an-enemy-of-the-Daleks!-EXTERMINATE!” they all shot and killed a Borg in their turn, but the Borg cube immediately respawned 3 new drones who succeeded in taking out 1 Dalek (called ‘Bender’ by the player), using customary integrated arm-disruptors. Strangely enough at that same moment a man in a grey jumpsuit came strolling forward and halted in the middle of the battlefield, applauding and said: “Splendid! The fight of the century; Dalek vs. Borg. I’m so glad to be able to experience this!” A Dalek shot a hole straight through the man, who dropped like a stone. The two remaining Daleks both killed another drone, since the Borg still hadn’t been able to adapt their energy shields to the Dalek particle beams. The Daleks quickly flew past them, intent on taking over the Borg ship. Then the man in the grey jumpsuit got up again without effort, and with a hand gesture the hole was gone. While he patted off the dust the man said: “It’s been fun, but I have to return to the Continuum. All good things come to an end!” Then he snapped his fingers and both the Daleks and the Borg were back in their own ships and on their original course as if nothing ever happened…
    So in the end, the Daleks won this skirmish 4 – 1 by initiative. But then the battle would be far from over, and had the Daleks pushed on, they’d have to face over 600.000 drones all with the potential to adapt to their Particle Beams at any moment…
    Last edited by Calastir; 08-30-2011 at 07:21 AM.