67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 26.87%
  • No

49 73.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is TREK-RPG.net dying?

Thumbs down Caveat to my vote

I said "Yes" because the poll reads TrekRPG.net, which I take to mean the web site, not the forum herein. All the replies that I read mentioned this forum. But what about the web site itself? when was that last time something was done with it? "Stardate 0722.02" the site says.

So, if you want to ask about this forum, then "no", it lives on.
    The web site is suffering the same fate as the genre itself. But that's a different poll.
    ~~~randy~~>

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Perrryyy Guest

Thumbs down

Considering some of my threads have been nitpicked to death about pedantic details, I hesitate to post mine either.

In the same boat here as well.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Changing

I have been around for a long time, posted here and there when I had something to say. Tried to avoid the non-star trek discussions but sometimes was drawn to them. What I have noticed is this...

Without something new from Decipher we are just hashing the same topics that we have talked about since LUG went belly...bought out.

We can talk about our individual campaigns or about a problem that has occurred in our story but we haven't had the new meat to chew on. This maybe because of our now nature of society or not.

I don't think that the site is dying..."Just going quietly into the night."

Ciao
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

*Blinks*

What? Sorry, I was mesmerized by the mirror...

I don't think it's dying, I think it's in a rut while we wait for new stuff. I mean, really, this is an RPG site, and there's only so many fresh ideas that can spring forth from people's brains after six months without refreshment.

I think once the new sourcebooks start coming out, our air supply will be replenished, and the RPG-based parts of the site will start becoming active again.

Myself, I love the place, and I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. I find the occasional (okay, frequent) lapse into silliness refreshing, especially since I like humor in my games. The more serious the topic, the greater the need for a good laugh. Message boards BREED free-association, so it's only natural.

I'm not a "numbers" person, so I don't contribute stats and such as much as I might like to. That may change as I become more comfortable with the system and my players force me to be more creative. I do post the occasional "bright idea," but I at least have been in a dry spell, mostly because my game is running in slo-mo and I haven't needed to think ahead for a while (I fully expect my next adventure to take all spring, and I've got one more lined up after that.)

So... Dying? No. Laying in bed gazing at the ceiling with a blank expression and a little drool out one side of the mouth? Maybe.

Or maybe it's just Seasonal Affective Disorder. I've got that, too. MORE SUN!!!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Post A few words...

I'll try not to take this poll personally (but am gratified that most people don't feel the site is "dying") and address the possible perception that the site is stagnant.

First, as with many things in life, there are a number of events going on in the background that you are not aware of. Among those are my full time job, my recent regional promotion, travel, my young daughter, and the construction of our new home. Aside from that there is also my freelancing career, where I have written four sizable projects in the past year and am just beginning on a new, super-secret licensed RPG that I will personally write about 1/3 of. All of these things, as you can imagine, suck up time.

Speaking of time, running this site takes a lot of it. Back in 1998 I never envisioned this site to become what it has: several hundred thousand visitors (probably over a million), gigabytes and gigabytes of data transferred, multiple server moves to accommodate growth and a lively message board and community that discusses Trek role-playing on a 24 hour basis. That's pretty cool.

Unfortunately, the other side of this--the content side--has not grown with the times. We are stuck on an antiquated static-driven content schema that is too timely to maintain and update. Things are such a mess that I'm not sure where anything goes anymore. My original plan to move to a DB system was halted halfway through as it became apparent that TrekRPGNet (and other branded sites, more on that later) would eclipse my new system before it was even written.

Back to square one.

Then I started investigating CMS (Content Management Systems) that would be appropriate. There are a healthy number and like any major software implementation they require an investment of time to properly determine if they meet your needs. I have narrowed it down to one product and have already implemented it on the server and am currently prototyping the DB schema that I will use. I am doing this slowly as I need to build the system to accommodate growth.

Concurrently, I am also in the midst of negotiations with Decipher to expand TrekRPGNet's influence even further--steps that will ensure that this site continues to be the focal point of Trek RPGs for years to come--and even some other RPGs. As such, taking steps to unify site design, submissions, and speedy posting of them. Imagine a system where you post your submission online, an editor reviews them daily and provided the submission meets our criteria (nothing significant), the editor merely presses a button and you are immediately made "live," automatically categorized and indexed in the system. Not interested in Coda? No problem, select your settings once when you visit and you'll never have to look at a Coda entry while you're here. Same for Icon. You'll be able to sort by the type of game you run, say TOS, and find everything that we have on the subject.

Now expand this system and its open design to encompass other properties than simply Star Trek and you'll begin to understand where I'm trying to take the site. Hell, I'm even hoping to get to a point where I can pay for original content and compensate those that give their time freely to make this site better. Maybe even a publishing arm.

All this takes time and money. Fortunately for you, I'm providing both. Unfortunately for you, both are in limited supply. We are close, honestly. Real close. There are some things out there that I don't have control of that may impact how I move forward from this point. Once they have been decided I can start the ball rolling towards the finish line.

So, is the site dying? I don't know. I don't think so as the numbers say otherwise. These great queries I leave you to answer as I can only do the best job I can.

BTW, I didn't vote.

Don

Wow, lots of yummy tidbits for us to chew on, Don! Thanks.

Hmmm....an new super-secret licensed RPG. Coda-based? The mind boggles at the possibilities. Speculators, speculate!

Don, thanks again for all the hard work you do here and behind the scenes. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

Originally posted by Ineti
    Hmmm....an new super-secret licensed RPG. Coda-based? The mind boggles at the possibilities. Speculators, speculate!
    Sorry, NDAs signed. No talkie-talkie! In fact, I've said too much. The men in black will be by shortly to pick you up...

The website

I too thought the poll was about the website, and not the message boards. I simply assumed that the website wasn't getting updated because Don was busy. I know more now about what is going on, and I feel better about the health of the site. Can i change my vote?

Perryyy: pendantism (is that a word?) seems to be endemic to fandom sometimes; I personally am tired of people nitpicking Enterprise/Nemesis/whatever apart with a fine tooth comb; people cannot seem to relax and just play a game or enjoy a show. I say post your stuff. I would like to see it. The same goes for Styro. I find value in many things I have read on here, even when it's something that I personally would not do. (and I am not one who buys that "Starfleet is not a military organization" stuff anyway. Starfleet is not JUST a military organization, but it does have a military component..it has to or the Federation is toast.)

Remember that old saw about which anatomical area most resembles opinions? <g>. A good thing to keep in mind when opinions start flying. Now INFORMED opinions are different...and much rarer.

Allen

Thank You Mr. Mappin, I was wondering when you were going to speek up. As a person who re-entered college, has a job, and a family to take care of I can understand just how much time you do not have.

Again, thanks
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I think the board's doing OK and is, in general, reflecting what is happening in people's lives.

In general, I think most of us are probably a bit more concerned about some of the world-shaking events going on these days then we were a couple of years ago. Also given the time of year people are likely posting a bit less.

Add to all that the idea that Star Trek itself isn't doing all that well and the the RPG company of the day isn't exactly pouring products into our laps then I think the apparent lull is understandable.
    TK

I'm with First of Two, we're simply in a rut.

Since Decipher hasn't been able to release some new material we've had nothing new to argue, discuss and analyze to death. Once new material becomes available and especially if its something along the lines of a species compendium then the boards will light up.

Personnally, my posting has been limited since my Trek campaign has run into some time management problems and I had to put it on hiatus. I don't really go into the Utopian Shipyard stuff, since that much detail and ship-building gives me a head-ache.

So put me up for a No, but in a rut.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Re: Caveat to my vote

Originally posted by Sawyer II
    I said "Yes" because the poll reads TrekRPG.net, which I take to mean the web site, not the forum herein. All the replies that I read mentioned this forum. But what about the web site itself? when was that last time something was done with it? "Stardate 0722.02" the site says.

So, if you want to ask about this forum, then "no", it lives on.
    The web site is suffering the same fate as the genre itself. But that's a different poll.
    I have to agree with Sawyer. I answered yes as well taking it as the whole site, not just the forums.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

I voted no. Though to my mind, the forum is getting a little too bitchy and whiney for my tastes

Whaddya mean stop whining ????

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.