• No

49 73.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is TREK-RPG.net dying?

Is TREK-RPG.net dying?

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Hands Styro a mirror.

I've found some very interesting threads in the Narrator's Ready Room over the past few weeks. I rather enjoyed the discsussion of the choice between duty and love. Narrating tips on players going off track. A long discussion of which ship to use for a game. Androids in Trek, including some Coda rules. Why not join in?
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Thumbs down

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Not finger-pointing in the slightest.

I'll hand out mirrors to everyone, including myself. It's a community folks, it's what we all make of it.
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

As an aside, I still come here to swap story ideas and have a damn good time. I've never been a huge fan of alternate ship designs, but others seem to still be having fun doing so.

I'm not running a Trek game, but I've gotten some great feedback for ideas for a LotR game, making me look forward to the opening of the LotR forums. I enjoy the analysis of the direction of Trek.

The Decipher aspect, I can understand the frustration. I don't fully share it, but I can understand it. I remember waiting for the LUG Klingons boxed set to come out.

Why the mirror comment here and not elsewhere? Because, we don't have a heck of a lot of control over the actions of Paramount, Decipher, Iraq, Trent Lott, or a host of other issues. But we do about trek-rpg.net.

And the core-gaming portions of the board seem to be, in my opinion, still places for creativity. I've seen some great ideas there just in the past two weeks. Liz, you started an interesting one about tracking NPCs aboard ship, one which I found interesting and generated some healthy discussion. But if it ain't enough, it's up to all of us to change it.

The political aspects people just have to take or leave, but they are constrained to the General Boards, as they should be. And there has been some great LotR discussion there, both about the RPG and the books. And the movies as well, something very appropriate as this board adds LotR to its roster.
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I just recently broke the 1k post mark, so it's clear I'm loving this place. Recently, I haven't had much Trek to talk about, but I know I can come here and ask questions and share ideas with like-minded folks.

TrekRPG.net is good.

No death here... no-sir-ree-bob!

Look, reguardless of the topics discussed, whether game or real-world related, this has got to be one of the best boards on the web. And for no other reason than the great people who post and discuss here (Yep, you too, Styro... and Reats... and Aslan... and Perrry... and...)

(OK, maybe not the late, unlamented Red Quacker.)

So, everyone, thanks for being here, and being a great board... And thanks to Don Mappin (and his evil twin, Dan Moppin) for giving us this forum.

Kudos.

H.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

I'm with Dan on this one.

I used to actively post about the Trek RPG and I've done a fair bit of writing of my own for it (ICON that is). But, since I neither play any Trek games (for the time being) nor do I even own the CODA Trek game, it's hard for me to weigh in on any subject regarding specifics of the game.

I do, however, gab with glee about the LotR RPG, since I'm currently running a chronicle for my gaming group. I even set up my own website where I post my material and others' material should they wish it to be available for fans. I'm more than happy to discuss that stuff here, moreso than on, say, the Decipher boards.

So, to make a long story short, I don't think this here community is dying in any way, shape, or form. If someone has a "creative" issue with "fluff" posts (as I like to call some of the nonesensical threads, or fun threads, or non-gaming threads about this and that and the other thing), then I think they shouldn't post to 'em or start 'em.

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

It's just like the last few times Trek went in to a questionable areas...Insurection, End of DS9, End of Voyager, the new Enterprise, the loss of Last Unicorn Games, the subsiquent arrival of Decipher, and now we have Nemisis out. There are some other issues with the producers, writers, etc... but things will be worked out.

There have been duldrums here in the past, out of the what 1600 members on the boards how many have actually posted...how many are even still here...if any thing I feel this is the 'calm before the storm'...if the franchise goes under we're all that's left, and I'm not about to let Trek compleatly die...rest a while sure, but never die!
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I have no problem with the Fluff threads. I have a real problem with serious threads being turned into fluff threads by topic hijakers.

One of the main reasons I am not posting here as much any more.

Originally posted by AslanC
    I have no problem with the Fluff threads. I have a real problem with serious threads being turned into fluff threads by topic hijakers.

One of the main reasons I am not posting here as much any more.
    I have to agree with Aslan here. I'll say no names, as its not alsways the same people (nor is it always 'fluff').

But the last few months there have been a couple a nice juicy threads going, sometimes they even make a page before an ill-timmed comment or joke either turns it into a fluff/spam-fest thread or a political/social/serious-whatever rally well beyond the borders of the original thread.

I have started not posting to avoid these thread diversions. But even I have participated on occasion either willingly or unwittingly (been using t'other Dans mirror).

The key is when we post we should ask ourselves if the post is actually relevant to the subject in hand? If not learn some basic HTML and start up a 'fluff' thread elsewhere so the serios topic doesn't get diverted and left to rot by those that want to contribute. That I am sure would help some...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by Hugh Casey

Look, reguardless of the topics discussed, whether game or real-world related, this has got to be one of the best boards on the web. And for no other reason than the great people who post and discuss here (Yep, you too, Styro... and Reats... and Aslan... and Perrry... and...)

(OK, maybe not the late, unlamented Red Quacker.)

H.
    As an aside hugh, could you please not start slinging Mud? If you have something to say, its said equally well with a 'naming no names' rather than pointing the finger which simply infuriates some people...

As I said, I have on occasion participated. I would be surprised any active member on these boards havn't, not even once, typed something inappropriate, thus making us all candidates for such a naming and shaming.

Its too late to take back the post. But lets leave it there!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Perrryyy Guest

Thumbs down

I post less and less on these boards anymore, and I admit, when I do, it's usually "fluff" or spam.

I don't watch ent, play DecTrek, and Trek in general is becoming less interesting to me.

I'll take Dan's advice and keep the spamming down to a minimum. (Although with that I'd probably be better off just leaving the board all together... ah well)

Ta ta.

I don't mind the negativity so long as there are options or ideas for how to fix it, or at least a call for them.

Anyone can say soemthign sucks, but what I like to see is people offer ways to make it better

I'd have to say that there is a lull in the creative jucies at the mo - but that's happened before. I've been on this board since 1998 (ignore the date in the side - that was when I forgot my password and changed my e-mail address) - To be honest, I tend to keep pretty much quiet and then post whn I've got something to share or to ask a question. I generally try to stay out of the threads that are either arguements (Though different people's views on what 'their' trek is can be interesting) or ranting about things beyond our control.

Oh and for the record - they'll come out when they come out (Hey, I'm a dragonlance fan - spare a thought for my years in the wilderness), it's not about oil, and I don't want that foam packed.

Though the point about serious threads being hijacked stands, in-my-not-at-all-humble-opinion.

And to the guys who don't post so much - don't go! I've got a lot of ideas over the years!

later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'