Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LoTR 4th Age Questions

Originally posted by AslanC
    Do we know the final fate of these swords and what became of the Avari? I like the idea that the Avari were seduced by Ungoliant, and then earning their place in the world when they help Shelob overthrough Ungoliant and become Morlob. You know, promise of power and rules of Middle-Earth and all that
    The Avari: Some eventually moved westward and mixed in with the Silvan & Sindarin elves, and would be indistinguishable. The others remained in the East, a furtive and secretive people, and an object of fear and suspicion amongst the Men of the East. I'm sure they weren't all seduced by Ungoliant, but surely you could courupt/enslave/whatever enough for your purposes.

Eol's swords: Anglachel (Turin's sword) was broken when he fell upon it, and its malevolence extinguished; in otherwords, it's dead too. The remains were burried with Turin. Anguriel (Maeglin's sword) was on him when Tuor tossed him over a cliff to his death durring the escape from Gondolin (if I remember right). It's probably in some deep chasm of the Echoing Mountains. Of course, all of Beleriand has been sunk under the waves, so gaining access to Anguriel would require some serious deep sea diving. Of course, the hill on which Turin was burried was the only thing that wasn't drowned (it's still out there to the west of Lindon), but no good could come of robbing HIS grave...

And you're welcome, Aslan.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    This must be the monster LOTR thread I was told about.

Guess I may have to buy LOTR-CODA after all.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

We played the first session tonight. It was amazing!

Guys I can't help but feel you all had a part in making it good. So my thanks and congrats to all of you.

One of my players, after I told them how I have been getting advice and guidance from all over the world said "This game should have credits!"

And he was right, it should. So if I ever put up a webpage or some kind of campaign guide I will definitely include some kind of credits for you all.

You have my thanks and the thanks of my players who had so much fun tonight.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

A new question.

Where was the fiery chasm where the second silmaril was sent?

You have my thanks and the thanks of my players who had so much fun tonight.

That's what we're here for.

Glad to hear you had fun with a fantasy genre game. Hope this shatters you idea that they are limited in scope.

Anything I can do to help.

Originally posted by Phantom

Glad to hear you had fun with a fantasy genre game. Hope this shatters you idea that they are limited in scope.

Anything I can do to help.
    Got $10?

Just kidding.

So I looked over the extra points in languages and since I never use those skills, I doubt I will worry about the points. I mean for me either the character speaks the language or they don't.

But that's jsut me

Originally posted by Phantom
    I always look forward to Aslan's calls for help. They're so much fun to design his adventures for him.

I'm just pleased to see another happy LOTR/Decipher customer. I'll only take a minor amount of credit for my help on the Coda system.

I suggest you name characters after those that give you an assist. That's what I tend to do in my games and while no one really knows about the nod (sans possibly Doug), it brings a little smile to my face.

Oh, that reminds me. Sorry about killing your ensign NPC off, Aslan.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    I always look forward to Aslan's calls for help. They're so much fun to design his adventures for him.
    Hey now, creative process, comunal effort

I'm just pleased to see another happy LOTR/Decipher customer. I'll only take a minor amount of credit for my help on the Coda system.
    Just so long as you didn't write the 3 Act Model part of it

I suggest you name characters after those that give you an assist. That's what I tend to do in my games and while no one really knows about the nod (sans possibly Doug), it brings a little smile to my face.
    I thought of doing that, but most of the names don't really lend themselves to Middle-Earth. Phantom of Isengard? Lord Chris of the Riddermark? I think not. :P

But credits may be in order.

Oh, that reminds me. Sorry about killing your ensign NPC off, Aslan.
    An ensign? I only made ensign and then got killed? Sheesh there is no justice

P.S. How about a LOTR forum for now, until you get the LOTR boards up? Would be nice to have all this info in one place no?

P.S. How about a LOTR forum for now, until you get the LOTR boards up? Would be nice to have all this info in one place no?
    They're not quite ready for prime time. Besides, we can move all these over when the time comes.

They're not quite ready for prime time. Besides, we can move all these over when the time comes.
    Oh boy. . . dare I ask for a broad eta with plenty of room for revision?

I thought of doing that, but most of the names don't really lend themselves to Middle-Earth. Phantom of Isengard? Lord Chris of the Riddermark? I think not. :P

I don't think reality lends much either, Lord Walker does have a good ring to it though.

HOLY CRAP!

Way to go AslanC! And everyone else...I have a few comments I would like to add if I may be so bold.

First Ungoliant, as far as my brother and I could find she was cast into the void with Melkor.

Second Ellessar, the cannon I have says he was about 84 durring the war 3019T.A.

Third, If you can find it Aslan, as I have found it is near impossible now, The gaming company I.C.E. had a MERP franchise for a good decade and a half through the 80's to the early 90'2 any of those old texts you can find have helped me beyond anything else I see to have found, of course you have to do some conversions but it is not too difficult...In those books however there is one called "MIDDLE-EARTH Adventure Guidebook II" this book has the elvish language translations and how to speak it contained between it's covers

Fourth Continent map, contained on this site which I have also found useful is a fan rendering of the world map. It uses the full contenant that Tolkien used plus adds in the "Southern Continent" which still has creatures from the First Age and before roaming on it.... [Edit: URL removed by Admin]

Hope this helps anymore.
    Let me know if you start a campaigning site I would love to visit.

One alternative to that is to use an anagram of the names (like Evets Gnol). Motnahp already looks more Middle-Earthish
    Last edited by C5; 01-19-2003 at 12:03 PM.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I'm going to need to ask that no references or links be made to web sites with PDF downloads of commerical products. Even products that are no longer in print or the legality is in question.

What you do on your own time is fine however please do not post such links on TrekRPGNet.

Thank you.

Re: HOLY CRAP!

Originally posted by Julian
    Way to go AslanC! And everyone else...I have a few comments I would like to add if I may be so bold.
    Please, feel free to be so bold. . .

First Ungoliant, as far as my brother and I could find she was cast into the void with Melkor.
    The Encyclopedia of Arda says she "fled with him (Melkor) to Middle-earth."

Beyond that I have heard she fled into the south.

Second Ellessar, the cannon I have says he was about 84 durring the war 3019T.A.
    Cool.

Third, If you can find it Aslan, as I have found it is near impossible now, The gaming company I.C.E. had a MERP franchise for a good decade and a half through the 80's to the early 90'2 any of those old texts you can find have helped me beyond anything else I see to have found, of course you have to do some conversions but it is not too difficult...In those books however there is one called "MIDDLE-EARTH Adventure Guidebook II" this book has the elvish language translations and how to speak it contained between it's covers.
    Intersting. I have a source for MERP stuff, so I will check with them to see if they have it. Thanks for the heads up.

Fourth Continent map, contained on this site which I have also found useful is a fan rendering of the world map. It uses the full contenant that Tolkien used plus adds in the "Southern Continent" which still has creatures from the First Age and before roaming on it.... [Edit: URL removed by Admin]
    Thanks for the link.

Hope this helps anymore.
    Let me know if you start a campaigning site I would love to visit.
    If I do I shall indeed let you know

Thanks for the input

Originally posted by Kaiddin
    This must be the monster LOTR thread I was told about.

Guess I may have to buy LOTR-CODA after all.
    There are actually a handful of LOTR threads here.

Someone with some time on their hands should create an index, at least unti the LOTR boards are publically available.

And yes, buy the LOTR RPG!