I've spoken a little with the potential players in my LotR game (see Twilight of the North and Time Periods for a LotR Game) and one bit of feedback I received is that it might be a bit too grand in the eyes of the players and a little too clear cut.

A little discussion indicated that something closer in tone to The Hobbit as opposed to Lord of the Rings would be more appropriate for our group - something more like an adventure that Bilbo might go on.

I'm a little bummed, as I was rather fond of my grand outline. I'm pondering in what direction to go (or if I should break out my Spaceship Zero game and whip out the atomic pistols - but I'm still in a LotR mood).

So I'm coming here in search of inspiration and possibly feedback.

One idea which is obvious to me is using some of what I developed for my Twilight of the North Game. Here's a hook I have...

Basically, I'd move the game to take place about ten years after The Hobbit. A Ranger arrives at Bilbo Baggins doorstep, dead. He carries with him two trinkets - a sword which could have only forged in a lost Dwarven City of the Second Age, found in the Blue Mountains and believed destroyed and a pendant which once belonged to Fìriel, last Queen of Arthedain (and a Princess of Gondor).

This Ranger set out on a quest to track down Arvedui's final journey. Supposedly he sought shelter in an abandoned Dwarf Mine of the Blue Mountains, but this evidence indicates that he might actually found a Dwarf City that was belieced to be destroyed. The characters go out on a quest to retrace the Ranger's journey in search of this long-lost city - and its long-lost treasures. This hook would give opportunity for Rangers, Dwarves, men of Gondor, and Hobbits to go along and Elrond would no doubt be curious enough to send an Elf.

This would take the characters through the ruins of Arthedain as they search for this lost city in the Blue Mountains.

I'd also be eying my players to see if as the characters develop something more epic would indeed be appropriate - Bilbo's quest, did, after all, climax with the Battle of Five Armies. I can see that this Dwarf City may now house servants of the enemy, part of a larger attack planned for Eriador, in the hopes of wiping the Rangers, Rivendell, and the Grey Havens out, so they will not be able to participate in the War of the Ring.

Anyone with other ideas? (Especially for Mirkwood, one of my favorite places). Suggestions for how to work with the players?