Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nemesis "lowest-grossing Trek film EVER" ?

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth

When we go to the ticket counter, and say "Two for Nemisis" people turn around and stare, and almost always someone says "Star Trek?! That's sooooo lame!"

What happened?! Why is it like this?
    Liz... I think you should just keep a straight face and laugh at them when they order tickets for movies with titles like "The Hot Chick." Because even the cheesiest episode of the original Trek series is probably more intellectual than movies like that.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    Part of the problem is there is (at least around HERE) that there is such a negitive stigma attached to being a trek-fan. It's to the point where we don't go to the gamming store on Hudson Ave any more because we get hammered everytime we go in there.
    Welcome to France
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    OK, I saw "The Two Towers" twice and "Nemesis" once, that's just because the friend I saw TTT with the second time was a bigger Tolkien fan than Trek fan. But she wants to see Nemesis now too.
    I liked the film, it had plenty of action and story for me, and the idea of a clone made for espionage purposes and then "forgotten" when it became a liability seems to fit the Romulans we all know and love (or hate). I thought the Romulans could have done a little more but this movies is about our main characters and not the Romulans. The Senate, for a bunch on cunning politicians, should have maybe acted a little more concerned when the little flashy-thingie started spewing particles into the senate chamber ("Maybe someone should call security?") But that was about the slickest way to take out a governing body. At least we don't like having all three branches of government in the same room (anyone remember "Mars Attacks"?).
    And there seems to always be a stigma attached to being a Trekkie, Trekker, Star Trek fan, it's like we're not like "normal" people, thank goodness, I'm around "normal" people all the time and they scare me.
    But to be honest, the theatre was packed when I went to see "Nemesis".
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

As my brother in law said after the movie, "It's not a bad film at all, but it just felt like a slightly longer than usual tv episode. Nothing in it felt like they were using the potential of the extra time or the larger screen."

My bro-in-law is a bigger Trek fan than I am...

I haven’t seen the Two Towers, (and I probably will not go see it, since I am a Tolkien fan ), but I’ll probably go to see Nemesis.
    We come, we are not seen, and inevitably, we conquer.

First and Last, there is Duty.

Romulan Proverbs

I've said it before and I'll say it again. . .

I liked Nemesis, overall it was an enjoyable film.

It has nitpicks, but it ain't bad.

Oddly enough I had real problems with Two Towers.

Are you a Tolkien fan?

Romulan Proverbs

Originally posted by Janus
    Are you a Tolkien fan?
    Read the LOTR about 10 years ago. Other than that not really.

I just didn't like it as a film.

I preferred Fellowship, it was more majestic and respectful, this one felt like an action film to me.

But Nemesis I felt was a really good, long episode.

Originally posted by AslanC

That’s a good motive to see it.

Romulan Proverbs

Arrow

Oddly enough I had real problems with Two Towers.
    I hope you're not referring to the Battle of Helm's Deep scenes. I'm a sucker when it comes to large-scale medieval/fantasy battles.

To stay on-topic, my nitpick is how easy for a small group of second-class race to seize control of the empire and everyone concede to the new authority. I mean if it were part of Major Sela and Commander Tomalak's scheme to control the Senate then that would be believable. Sorry but that's my hangup. I mean no civil war after that chaotic incident? Puh-lease! Even the US would up in arms if David Duke and his KKK brothers suddenly seized Capitol Hill.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    To stay on-topic, my nitpick is how easy for a small group of second-class race to seize control of the empire and everyone concede to the new authority. I mean if it were part of Major Sela and Commander Tomalak's scheme to control the Senate then that would be believable. Sorry but that's my hangup. I mean no civil war after that chaotic incident? Puh-lease! Even the US would up in arms if David Duke and his KKK brothers suddenly seized Capitol Hill.
    My main gripe as well. I will expnad on it, the Romulans woul never allow an aggressor species so near their homeworld.

Ugh. No wonder I haven't seen it yet. I don't want a 2-hour episode on the big screen; I want a movie! Am I the only one to see the difference?

Ah, well. Nemesis is definite rental material.

Arrow

Well, like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the latest Trek film feels like a TV-movie with better special effects.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

The first half of Nemisis felt like an episode to me (and a poor one at that), but the second half was definitely movie material IMHO.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Arrow

"Second half"???

It's more like the last 30 minutes that is worthy of excitement. Can't help it, space battles turns me on.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan