Thread: Technical Manuals

Technical Manuals

I know atleast one other person on the boards is working on a technical manual for a Starship, Shuttle, or Starbase. What would you guys like to see in a sourcebook about a Custom Class of ship?

Yes please.

I love technical manuals and deckplans.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

What would I like to see in a Starship Tech sourcebook...

Personally I would like to see a starship from an alien species that is hitherto not as well supported.

Possbly Ferengi or Dominion, as we have planty to be going on with with Canon and non-Canon Federation, Klingon, Cardassian and Romulan. A canon species is more use to the population as a whole, a non-canon species of your own devising would be best served as an attachment to a species book as it would likely suffer several degrees of separation.

Secondly to that, original art and schematics. I have had written descriptions in the past that I just couldn't visualise the ship (this is the harder one to get right as nobody wants hokey art to represent their work, and getting original art for your own project is damn hard if you cant do it yourself)

Lastly, but not so in importance, a well thought out and described history, and background to the vessel. I tend to use these in preference to stats, in fact plain old game stats leave me cold and I prefer to read the additional info to fit into my world.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I just wanted to make a few things clearer....

I am not looking for ideas of ships. All I was looking for is what would you like to see in a tech manual abouta specific ship.

Too bad that I am such a bad artist or I could provide some artwork. Oh well, that struggle will never end.

The reason that I brought all of this up, was the fact that I am working on some *custom* classes of either Starfleet ships or new aliens. I was just wondering what you guys would like to see. Now I know

Things to see in a tech manual

How about designs of key areas of the starships? like the following...

Bridge
    Main Engineering
    Medical
    Examples of crew quarters
    Mess hall
    etc...

I love those little picture type things to play with!
    Thanks Alot...

Rancid...

What do you mean I can't jump from starship to starship? Data does it...