Thread: LotR: Map of Weathertop

Question LotR: Map of Weathertop

Anyone know where I might find a map of Weathertop? I know ICE put out a supplement for it, but it is beyond my resources to obtain.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I think there's a map of Weathertop in the Atlas of Middle-Earth, by er...Kathy Wynn Fonstand? Not sure on the spelling. This book just got revised, and should be available in just about any book store. I have the first edition, and it's really nice.

Not sure how detailed the map is, though. My impression was that there wasn't a lot to Weathertop...

The Atlas is indeed nice, but it's map of Weathertop is a bit on the sparse side - and after its fall - I should have specified I was looking for Weathertop before it was razed.

Here's what I'm thinking... I'm having a bit of a tough time selling my players on an epic LotR games. However, I really think they'd like the change of pace from smugglers, treasure-hunters, and the like. So I'm thinking of introducing LotR via a one-off adventure, with the players running doomed soldiers at Weathertop's last stand. They are part of a suicide team, designed to hold the fortress as long as possible to buy time for the smuggled out palantir to reach Fornost.

Actuallyprobably doesn't need to be Weathertop - any fortress with a central tower atop a hill would do. I can adapt that, I just lack the time to make such an extensive map.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Does it have to be extensive? It could just be the hill, with a simple fortress on top of it. Four walls, four towers, and a gate. One big open space in the middle with barracks, armory, blacksmith, etc. Doesn't have to be fancy...

I've sent you an email about a map, Dan.

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Arrow

Originally posted by Ineti

I think there's a map of Weathertop in the Atlas of Middle-Earth, by er...Kathy Wynn Fonstand?
    She's Karen Wynn Fonstad. In addition to the above atlas, she is credited for doing The Forgotten Realms Atlas and the The Dragonlance Atlas.

Seguing to maps, I've just seen the Decipher's Maps of the Middle Earth boxed set in my FLGS. The price is $29.95.
    Last edited by REG; 01-04-2003 at 05:30 AM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

How are they any different then the map set I've seen at my local bookstore for about $15?

Originally posted by Dan Stack

They are part of a suicide team, designed to hold the fortress as long as possible to buy time for the smuggled out palantir to reach Fornost.

I think if you want epics, I would change that a bit. E.g. have the Queen transport the stone away or something. I would connect a person, if possible a weak person, with it, so that the characters will be more willing to risk and probably loose their lives in the defense. It simply feels more heroic, if you risk you life for another's person's one or if you risk it for a stone.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Arrow

Originally posted by Phantom

How are they any different then the map set I've seen at my local bookstore for about $15?
    Different publisher?

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    Different publisher?

No what I meant was, why should I fork out $30 for the Dec map set when I can get a map of middle earth for half that price?

Originally posted by REG
    She's Karen Wynn Fonstad. In addition to the above atlas, she is credited for doing The Forgotten Realms Atlas and the The Dragonlance Atlas.
    That's the one, thanks REG. And she did The Atlas of Pern, as well.

Arrow

Originally posted by Phantom

No what I meant was, why should I fork out $30 for the Dec map set when I can get a map of middle earth for half that price?
    Well, if you can find those map set at a much lower price than Decipher's then more power to you. I'm just telling you how much it cost in my FLGS. If you have a beef with how Decipher is pricing their products, go talk to (or haunt) someone from that company ... like Doug Burke.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    Well, if you can find those map set at a much lower price than Decipher's then more power to you. I'm just telling you how much it cost in my FLGS. If you have a beef with how Decipher is pricing their products, go talk to (or haunt) someone from that company ... like Doug Burke.
    Misunderstanding. I don't have a beef with the way Dec prices its products, I would just like to know what is special about the Dec map set? Does it have special maps of places like Weathertop, Bree, Minas Tarith, etc? Or is it just a genaric poster style map of the world? That's all I'm asking. Does the extra $15 give me something worth it?

Decipher's are six 17" x 22" maps, showing the Shire, Rohan, Mordor, Eregion (Rivendell, Moria, etc), East Gondor and West Gondor. They are printed on heavy paper and have a parchment look to them. With them comes a 32-page booklet that reprints the chapter of the RPG rule-book that describes the lands of Middle-Earth.

IMHO they are nice and authentic looking, but are folded too many times. Also the north-east part of ME is missing: The Lonely Mountain, Mirkwood etc.

There is also a limited edition available in which the maps are rolled not folded.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Question

So what's the sticker price on the limited edition map set? And can I order it via my FLGS?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan