Thread: CODA Coolness!

CODA Coolness!

Okay so here we go, my quest to be positive about Star Trek does not stop

So I say this... what is the coolest aprt of the CODA game for you, the aspect that stands out?

Now we all know I love the NG, I still sing its' praise.

But the coolest aspect of CODA for me is the Professional Abbilities... I just love them!

Professional Abbilities are neat...

But for me I like the new Starship write-ups/system. It seems to be a hybrid of LUG's overly simple system and Steve Long's...'ultra precise' system

(Hey, don't get mad at me Steve...I'm still printing off 'Spacedock')

I also like the fact it's 'all-in-one', no looking in any 'narator's toolkit' book, and all genres of Trek lore are here...even the 'crappy ones'

A little more material (hint, HINT), and this game can and will be the the best Trek RPG yet...and that no small feat.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Character Generation - I like the personal history aspect to the character combined with the Professions adn their special abilities. You really end up with a really well defined character when you are done.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

I'd have to say that I agree with Modem, the Starships write ups and system. Though still a little flawed, for my purposes, the new system is light years beyond the ICON ship combat system.

Though as the title says "CODA Coolness" I have to say the system fits the fantasy (LotR) genre better, then sci fi (Trek). So, by extension the character generation system is also a fav.

There is a set amount of skills, so we don't use two pages of A4 to keep them.

I don't have to re-read the system rules each session.

There is a lot more roleplaying and less dice chucking. For a game like Star Trek this is the best thing to do as... well, what do you chuck dice for in Star Trek? Very little. It's a lot more interaction, diplomacy and such.

The ship maneuvers are kewl and add more than just simple starship tactics. I'm hoping they'll put info on them on the GM screen as they're annoying to remember in a pinch.

All in all, a better system than LUG, but the LUG books make good temporary resources for now (hint hint).

Charlie E/N