Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, I just have to ask.

If I plan out and execute someone's murder, I deserve Murder in the First Degree punishment. If I accidently kill someone while driving wrecklessly, I deserve Manslaughter.

The Americans knew it was a training zone. They were flying over a training zone. They bombed soldiers training in a known training zone.

If I use a rifle to shoot and accidently miss a deer and the bullet kills someone driving by a mile away, I deserve Manslaughter.

The souls of the dead deserve to be restful. Just because it's an error doesn't mean it's not punishable by law.

Personally, I'm just as angry at the men who disobeyed orders and slaughtered their allies as I am at their politicians who handled the post-ordeal with idiotic, callous disregard.
    Kim Quintin

The use of unnecessary force has been authorized.

Arrow

So what you're saying is that the pilot, the US military, the US government and to some extent we American citizens, did intend to kill those allied Canadian troop in Afghanistan?

Is this your true feeling, kimq?

Yes, it is a tragic error. It is a tragic accident, and someone should be held accountable. For now, the pilot is being held accountable.
    Last edited by REG; 01-08-2003 at 08:29 PM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    So what you're saying is that the pilot, the US military, the US government and to some extent we American citizens, did intend to kill those allied Canadian troop in Afghanistan?
    The pilot and the US military are immediately responsible. The US government failed in their responsibility to their ally in the following days.

I'll be satisfied when the court martial is over, innocent or guilty.

Don't put words in my mouth.
    Kim Quintin

Arrow

I don't mean to, just trying to understand you.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    I don't mean to, just trying to understand you.
    Okey doke.
    Kim Quintin

As a citizen of Canada I have no grudge with the pilots for accidently killing a those four Canadian soldiers. It was an accident plain and simple. The official Canadian report also lays some blame with the troops on the ground for NOT obeying a ceasefire order issued by the American command, twice.

Like always, it was a series of mistakes which led to the loss of life. Those pilots are just being put out to dry and that's what I find sad, I'd have figured that the U.S. would have defended them with more heart.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist