Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: STRPG release schedule!

Re: Narrator Screen

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    By the way, fixing errata in the Limited Edition would be REAL nice if anyone at Decipher wants to learn a lesson from this. Errata in a NS based on the orignal printing is one thing, but for a LE set, it may be inexcusable.
    Haven't we already been told several times that the pages for the LE were printed at the same time as the pages for the PG and NG? It doesn't sound economically feasible to simply destroy those pages because of some erratta.

Since it's a completely artificial "Limited Edition" (nothing's stopping Decipher from printing 2,000,000 copies if they -really- want to), I fail to see its value as anything other than a moneyspinner.

Re: Re: Narrator Screen

Originally posted by CorpBoy
    Haven't we already been told several times that the pages for the LE were printed at the same time as the pages for the PG and NG? It doesn't sound economically feasible to simply destroy those pages because of some erratta.
    True, but it's also not economically feasible for a gamer to shell out the extra money for a limited edition that has the same errors as the first printing of the non-limited edition rules books.

The Trek PG has been out almost a year. If the limited edition is released without errata corrections, there's not really a point to buying it. It's just the same book with a different cover and a 32 page supplement that may or may not be available later.

Ok, let's not complain... yet.
    The trouble is that, from what I understood, Decipher completely put ST on hold while releasing LOTR, wich makes the time spent since the NG actually uneffective.
    It's annoying, but at least we now know what took them so long and that apparently they've restarted releasing materials. Hope they won't stop again...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Re: Re: Re: Narrator Screen

Originally posted by Ineti
    The Trek PG has been out almost a year. If the limited edition is released without errata corrections, there's not really a point to buying it. It's just the same book with a different cover and a 32 page supplement that may or may not be available later.
    To Decipher, there's not really a point in manufacturing it if they had to re-print the pages that are already sitting in a warehouse somewhere. They would have to jack up the (already high) price tag to compensate for it.

I think the ball got dropped when they printed them together. How many RPG products that have come out recently didn't have at least a few errors? They would have been better off waiting six months for the problems to shake out, and then do what you suggest: print a revised first edition.

Personally, I have no desire to buy the product now or if they did print the new pages. My dollars are better spent buying other supplements (like the Starships book hint hint).

Decipher completely put ST on hold while releasing LOTR,
    Now, beat me with a haddock if I'm wrong, but weren't we repeatedly assured that the above would not happen?

I just want to check my facts before I formulate any lasting policy toward Decipher.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I'd happily beat you with a haddock if you were right, too... if only I knew a haddock from a hamhock.

As for Decipher, they should get in line too... printing those pages in advance was, IMO, extremely short sighted. No doubt it was somebody's "good idea" to save money, but in the end it will result in knowingly publishing a flawed product.

They may have been constrained by their resources, and therefore required to put ST:RPG on hold for LotR, but combined with the above and the oft-mentioned "stealth marketing"(tm) I must say that this isn't what I expected from Decipher.

Originally posted by First of Two
    Now, beat me with a haddock if I'm wrong, but weren't we repeatedly assured that the above would not happen?

I just want to check my facts before I formulate any lasting policy toward Decipher.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Originally posted by C5
    The trouble is that, from what I understood, Decipher completely put ST on hold while releasing LOTR
    Actually, that's not quite correct. Some sacrifices had to be made, admittedly, but not to the extent suggested by such a statement. LOTR and Trek both experienced the same delays. That's why the LOTR Narrator's Screen (coming very soon to a store near you!) is the first LOTR product released since the core book was in August.

Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thanks for the correction, Doug. I was actually referring to this post, but I didn't actually check what it said exactly before posting.

Last edited by C5; 02-05-2003 at 08:50 AM.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by First of Two
    Now, beat me with a haddock if I'm wrong ...
    Aren't you supposed to use a large trout for that? Mind you, I could get my hand on a bloody turbot if you'd rather .

Sorry, that was wildly OfT but I couldn't resist .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Thumbs up

My FLGS just called to tell me they got the Trek NSs in yesterday, and they're holding a copy for me. I'll probably pick mine up this weekend.

I hope the LOTR screen follows close behind!

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    Actually, that's not quite correct. Some sacrifices had to be made, admittedly, but not to the extent suggested by such a statement. LOTR and Trek both experienced the same delays. That's why the LOTR Narrator's Screen (coming very soon to a store near you!) is the first LOTR product released since the core book was in August.

Yes and No, The Two towers adventure game and the Maps of Middle Earth were released during that time. Yes it can be argued that they are not strickly LOTR RPG material but can be used with it.

i'm guessing that because doug didn't correct our discussion of the limited edition containing errata, that it does. seeing as there are 3 more releases (starfleet ops manual, starships, personal log) slated before it comes out i too wonder why it was printed so early.

Originally posted by Ineti
    My FLGS just called to tell me they got the Trek NSs in yesterday, and they're holding a copy for me. I'll probably pick mine up this weekend.

I hope the LOTR screen follows close behind!
    I got mine yesterday. And I saw a LOTR NS while I was at the store.

Got my NS yesterday.

The Character Sheets do suck.

I was hoping that Decipher would had made better sheets.

But the Screen is really nice, I plan to use.