Thread: Seeking Help: Player/Narrator Dilemma

Seeking Help: Player/Narrator Dilemma

Seeking a bit of advice/inspiration. My players (on board an Intrepid class starship) have had their warp drive crippled by a group of Breen vessels (of which, after a most memorable sequence of battles, two light cruiser types remain, relatively undamaged).
    The Breen have demanded the PC XO to be turned over to them (to right a wrong from the past). The players are in a pickle, as they don';t believe any Breen promise of departing in peace after the XO is turned over to them (would you), and their firepower is relatively moot to the undamaged Breen.
    Any suggestions/solutions without resorting to any trite solutions (no cavalry options anyway, they are alone in the Gamma Quadrant).

For that matter, as a Narrator, I often improvise and am blessed by a strong group of players. What happens to other Narraotrs when they are stuck for a solution to a problem of their own making?

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    One idea is the "Corbormite Maneuver" bluff. The PCs attempt to bluff their way out of the situation by saying that there's some super-secret element tied to their warp core, and if the ship is destroyed it will take out everything within half a parsec (or some such drivel).

If they sell it well enough, they could get the Breen to back off enough to get away and make some repairs.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Let the players figure it out.

My players are usually a step ahead of me. They always have something up their sleeves. In a case like this, I often just present them with a problem and let them find the solution.

Usually they'd plan to fake a transporter accident as they beamed the XO over, or be prepared to ram the Breen ship, or ensure that they got a few people onto the Breen ship undetected to mount a later rescue.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Sea Tyger is right... A 'Corbormite Maneuver' is the first thing I thought.

The advantage is they dont even need the Warp Core for this. Simple 'Anti-Matter' containment could be the key after all, that still works or the situation is way over. Simply tell the breen that containment will be lost and a minimum safe distance must be reached...

...Or Call their bluff and threaten to use loss of Anti-Matter containment as a self destruct...

...Or beam over destabilising Anti-Matter under the pretence of beaming over the XO. Allowing them to definatly destroy 1 ship, and possibly damage the second (depending on the Breen formation in their moment of Victory)...

Of the 3 the third is my favourite, as the Breen shown on screen were often confident of Victory and the dire straits they have left the Federation Starship in may be the opening that you as Narrator can offer them the lifeline of moving the second Breen Ship close enough to equalise matters between the two remaining ships, letting the Engineers battle it out for who gets propulsion and weapons back online first!

Hope those options help...

And while you say that the Cavalry is not an option. Who is to say that the Cavalry has to be Starfleet? You could spark off a whole new subplot by introducing a friendly (or opportunistic) new Alien?

Gregs idea for sneaking a rescue team aboard is also good, focusing the continuing plot on the players (who will of course form the rescue/sabotage team)...

And if the ship is big enough. Perhaps there are enough fighters to form a rag-tag fighter squadron to buy precious moments for the ship to make quick repairs? (We would be looking at either an Akira, Galaxy or Sovereign for this, the sheer number of shuttles available to an Intrepid is blatently unfair odds against the Breen).
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Re: Seeking Help: Player/Narrator Dilemma

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    The Breen have demanded the PC XO to be turned over to them (to right a wrong from the past). The players are in a pickle, as they don';t believe any Breen promise of departing in peace after the XO is turned over to them (would you), and their firepower is relatively moot to the undamaged Breen.
    Any suggestions/solutions without resorting to any trite solutions (no cavalry options anyway, they are alone in the Gamma Quadrant).
    For that matter, as a Narrator, I often improvise and am blessed by a strong group of players. What happens to other Narraotrs when they are stuck for a solution to a problem of their own making?
    I would say that you are in quite a pickle.
    However, one way you may solve this is to rethink why you made the demand in the first place?
    What would I do? Force the PCs to come up with some sort of diplomatic solution. Perhaps a meeting to discuss alternate outcomes on a neutral planet or something along those lines?
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Depending on how blood thirsty the pc's are, there is always inform the breen you are sending them the XO, and send them a photon torpedo set to explode. or with a phaser set to overload. either way the damage will be severe enough that the pc's might have a chance to escape.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Dependong on how close you are to a planet you could beam everyone off and onto a planet Except the senior staff. Board them into a Danube Class Runabout and self destruct the ship right next to the ships....but again that depends on how blood thirsty your players are.

How out nunbered are the crew vs. the crew of one Breen ship, when the breen are ready to have your XO beamed over, Emergency Beam out to the Breen's ship...you'll have the element of surprise on your side for a moment...
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Smile Thanks

A great deal to ponder on. I'll let my players select the course, as is their prvi\\ivilege in an RPG, but I always want to anticipate various courses and this seem to befuddle me.

I'll let you know.

I think these "What If?" topics allow all of us on the boards to chime in with a little imagination.

Thanks again.
    Charles

Tell us how it turns out.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Re: Seeking Help: Player/Narrator Dilemma

What they expect the Breen to do after they turn over the officer is irrelevant. It seems obvious they can destroy the PC vessel if they so choose... the fact they haven't done so is an indicator that they may honor their word.

On the other hand, they may just be wanting to make sure they really have the man they want... then they'll blast the PC vessel anyway.

This actually seems like an excellent position for your series to be in from a story-point of view. Does the commander surrender the officer to save the ship? Does the officer volunteer? Does the commander set the self-destruct sequence? Do they agree, but beam over an antimatter demolition charge instead and go down with guns blazing? Does the officer in question have to beam over with the charge to disguse it from the Breen sensors?

Sounds great to me...

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    Seeking a bit of advice/inspiration. My players (on board an Intrepid class starship) have had their warp drive crippled by a group of Breen vessels (of which, after a most memorable sequence of battles, two light cruiser types remain, relatively undamaged).

Charles
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Thumbs up Epilogue

I hope no one was holding their breath for the results of this dilemma, but I am delighted to relate:

The characters were given 30 minutes to comply with the ultimatum. The crew began to effect jury-rig repairs to the one damaged warp nacelle (Chief Engineer using five courage points in the progress to beat a TN 20 task with sufficient enough success). While this was happening, the second Breen cruiser sent two boarding parties aboard the crew's ship. The Breen commander didn't send any of his own people aboard after briefly knocking down the crew's shields to allow the boarding parties (from ship#2) to beam over.
    The obligatory combat occured (hey, the ship's counselor was the first to observe the Breen beam-in on the bridge) and the bridge crew wiped out the Breen (the crew was prepared, good for them). The XO was on the bridge too, but the Breen didin't shoot their disruptors at him. By the way, I have to think that playing a Fed crew is often tough in combat as I'll raise my eyebrow if a phaser is set beyond setting 3 (heavy stun)... exceptions exist of course, but not in this case.
    The firefight in engineering was a bit bloodier, but the crew prevailed. The engineer remained trying to repair the drive while NPC crewman, security, and a PC flight control officer fended off the Breen.
    With the ship secured, but the Breen stunned, the Breen ships were unable to ascertain for a brief period of time what happened to their boarding parties (of course, when they didn't respond to their communications..).
    In any event, enough time was gained by the characters to repair the warp drive (and get its power output back online). The Captain opened a channel with the captain of Breen ship#2 and attempted to use his powers of oration to sow some distrust between him and his commander (the Breen with the grudge vs the XO)... just think of Kirk-like enunciation delivered with the coolness of Jean-Luc Picard... good for a few laughs.

The hesitation/doubt on the Breen captain was enough for him to not react when the players took their rejuvenated vessel in the sequence necessary to peform the Picard Maneuver (the first time they ever successfully did it, the captain spent some courage points here too, three I think).
    In any event, they crippled the Breen Commander's vessel (nearly destroyed it, the crew fired everything at the warp drive), engaged the warp and departed without pursuit.

Whether or not the Breen Commander survived, or was rescued by his angry subordinate/rival, the players don't know (until he resurfaces again, maybe

Anyway, I basically gave the players a little breathing room, and everything else spontaneously worked out into this little finale.

Thanks again.

Re: Epilogue

And Exhale...

Sounds interesting. A group thats happy to leave the bad guy to fight another day? I want them!

So next time the Breen Commander shows up he will have a grudge against the whole crew?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Yes, it is a fun group of players. I don't know when I'll bring this Breen back, but a lager grudge on top of the original grudge will be good. We'll see/time will tell.

Charles