Thread: Taken?

Taken?

I am surprised this hasn't been raised before. Has Taken received much advance airing over there in the US?

We just got the first couple of episodes tonight. Looks interesting. If a little like their 10 Episodes are trying to accomplish the point of Dark Skies (but without involving every newsworthy event of the decade)...

I am looking forward to the next few episodes, but so far it is looking a solid equal/accompanyment to Close Encounters in the same way that Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan are linked...

Any thoughts?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    Recorded it. I'll watch on Sunday then give some thoughts.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    On the whole I found it rather boring. It easily could have been condensed down into an hour.

Having said the above, I'll still watch it for at least the next few eps just to see how the story takes off.

I realise that a new shows openning ep has to introduce the characters and set the plot etc, but to me the first ep had very little in the way of a "grab factor."

Dan, I'm not suprised you had a Dark Skies vibe, considering that Eric Close was in it as well.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Originally posted by Captain Leana Craig

Dan, I'm not suprised you had a Dark Skies vibe, considering that Eric Close was in it as well.
    Thanks I was trying to place the face.

But the Dark Sjkies vibe had more to do with the Alien Abduction story over several decades (which was where Dark Skies would have gone if it hadn't of been cancelled so quickly)...

The opening was nice, if a little samey to all Speilbergs WW2 stuff...

And having caught episode 2 on BBC Choice, I can say that on the whole its not that impressive from its first 2 episodes. You are quite right that it needs to grab its audience more.

Although compared to 'Signs' this is a work of greatness. I will however keep watching, its just good enough on the characterisations for me to keep interested. And the concept of following several generations of the 3 focused families intrigues me with where they are going. They did a good job of introducing the characters, especially considering that in order to cover 1947 to the present day they will need to do some major time skips.

The bad guy seems the best character so far. When he says 'Youre the Sun and Moon to me'... I wonder whos next in the target scope... Very creepy catch phrase...

The BBC has a good support site;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/taken
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I for one really liked it. The first several episodes could've been sped up a bit more, since most of what they do is establish background for the 'current' events taking place, but they're pretty interesting anyways. I really liked most of the characters.

BTW, if anyone hears about it being re-shown in the US or released on video or DVD, please let me know. I watched all of the first nine episodes, and my VCR ate the tape half-way through the tenth one. I didn't realize it until after the next week, in which they reshowed it, had passed.
    KIRK: The.. away team.. will.. consist of.. Myself.. Dr. McCoy.. Mr. Spock.. and.. Ensign Freddy
    ENSIGN FREDDY: Oh &@$%

Originally posted by Thia
    BTW, if anyone hears about it being re-shown in the US or released on video or DVD, please let me know. I watched all of the first nine episodes, and my VCR ate the tape half-way through the tenth one. I didn't realize it until after the next week, in which they reshowed it, had passed.
    I would imagine (from the Band of Brother Experience over this last year), that this will be the DVD boxed set for next christmas.

In fact a quick check on the USA Amazon calls up the DVD at;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Good news, because I totally understand the annoyance of loosing the last episode. The same happened to me with the second to last Band of Brothers!
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 01-14-2003 at 02:10 PM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Is the actress who plays the wife of the airman who was abducted right at the start of Episode 1 the same actress who plays Darla on Buffy and Angel.

I figure someone on this site will be able to tell me.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

Originally posted by silverthorn
    Is the actress who plays the wife of the airman who was abducted right at the start of Episode 1 the same actress who plays Darla on Buffy and Angel.

I figure someone on this site will be able to tell me.
    Well it appears that the in episode joke thatbecame a real website has closed down (www.wevegotdarlastashedhere.com)... But yes, it did appear to be the 'loverly' Julie Benz both in appearance and coincidentally credited...

Of course, reading the credits, that same airman characters son is played by a young actor named James Kirk. Time to cue some bad impressions...

http://taken.scifi.com
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 01-14-2003 at 06:01 PM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden