Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP SCI-FI Channel

RIP SCI-FI Channel

This last friday, I got to watch the season premiere of Farscape and SG-1. All during the shows, The SCI-FI channel went to great lengths to announce their new programming venue.

Welcome to the Psychic Friends network.. IE. The Dream Team. "We will tell you what your dreams mean."

When did this sh!t become honest SCI-FI...
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

I thought Farscape was cancelled- It was revived somehow??

poster

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    I thought Farscape was cancelled- It was revived somehow??
    Actually, they showed (approximately) the first half of season 4, then they stopped showing any Farscape, canceled it, and waited until the new year to start showing the remaining 11 eps.

And I can tell you exactly why they're going towards "the same thing over and over". It's much cheaper than paying for anything new.

Of course, once Farscape vanishes, I'll have absolutely no reason to watch anything on Sci-Fi anymore.

-Chris Landmark
    (A reward... for the head of whoever canceled Farscape)
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Arrow

Sounds like they have finally realized there is not enough science fiction audience that even bothered to watch SCI-FI to support them, especially guys like me who are still waiting for free cable.

They should have stuck to the basic: produce shows aimed at women.

Oh, well. At least they are clearing some space for Ron D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG

They should have stuck to the basic: produce shows aimed at women.

Oh, well. At least they are clearing some space for Ron D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica.
    The new Battlestar show, eh? Then they are sticky to the basics and producing shows aimed at women.

Originally posted by Chris Landmark
    Of course, once Farscape vanishes, I'll have absolutely no reason to watch anything on Sci-Fi anymore.
    Stargate SG-1

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Stargate SG-1
    That and the Quantum Leap telefilm are the only things I'll watch on Sci Fi Channel next season. Thank goodness my parents taped Taken for me, which I enjoyed (and enjoyed fast forwarding through the commercials).

Now, I just hope the rumored Viacom buy-out of the Sci Fi Channel occurs: http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...&threadid=6346

Arrow

Originally posted by Phantom

The new Battlestar show, eh? Then they are sticky to the basics and producing shows aimed at women.
    That and Stargate SG-1. Female roles have expanded since the old days when a female officer is doing a "ship's receptionist" role in a sci-fi TV series. Today's shows are something a young girl can look up to ... instead of aspiring to become the next Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Well, there's Children of Dune...but other than that, I've got no reason to watch scifi -- maybe if they pick up Firefly (unlikely)...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

WE WILL NOT GO THERE ABOUT THE NEW BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!

or as its new designation is. Battlestar: Galactica..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

poster

Just out of interest, how far into season 4 of Farscape is US SCI-FI. It's just that I'm sure the BBC (bless their cotton socks) has shown more than 12 (absolutely frelling brilliant) episodes of Season 4 and I haven't heard of British TV getting US science-fiction ahead of the US before.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

The episode we got this past Friday was KANSAS (episode 12). This coming Friday, we get the episode TERRA FIRMA (episode 13). And from what I hear, this is the way it has been every year (including with Stargate SG-1) where the first half of the year is seen by North American viewers first, but other countries get the second half of the season before us.