Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP SCI-FI Channel

Arrow

Originally posted by Silverthorne

WE WILL NOT GO THERE ABOUT THE NEW BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!

or as its new designation is. Battlestar: Galactica..
    Why not? I mean Ron D. Moore is one of many people responsible for DS9, a better Trek spinoff series than VOY or ENT.

It could be worse. Braga could have done BSG (assuming we succeed in driving him away from the Trek franchise).

I will however take a wait-and-see.
    Last edited by REG; 01-15-2003 at 11:41 PM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

ok.. we went there..

1. Starbuck is now female and runs around the galatica in a sports bra

2. Boomer is now female and adopts the orphan Boxey

3. Adama is a techno phobe

4. Apollo is no longer the loving son

5. moore is ignoring all the fans and doing what ever strikes his fancy..

6. the cylons are built by man

7. cylons have human shape(ie some of them can not be told from humans)

8. cylons have sex with humans

9. old names are now call signs..

10. no actor from the original series is returning..

after all the work Richard Hatch put in on the series, they decide to ignore him and destroy the series..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

I bet Nemisis would have done better if the fans hadn't nitpicked it to death.
    I would think that releasing Nemesis amidst movies like Harry Potter, James Bond, Catch Me if you Can, Gangs of NY and of course Lord of the Rings is the main reason why it bombed.

poster

Well, if it's any consolation, the BBC is only two episodes ahead of the US now TERRA FIRMA was on TV last Monday.

So the UK is two (damn fine) episodes ahead of you. With episodes as good as the ones that have been on recently why oh why oh why has SCI-FI decided to cancel Farscape.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

Arrow

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man
    Just for the record, this is what's killing Trek.

I bet Nemisis would have done better if the fans hadn't nitpicked it to death.
    Words to the wise: Don't give us ammo to nitpick.

Hell, I went into both Voyager and Enterprise with a bad attitude, now I like both.
    For the record, I went into VOY with a hopeful attitude and have praised the first three seasons ... then they hired Braga as a replacement producer. That's when I started frowning and develop a dissappointing look I inherited from my dad.

For the record, I approach ENT with a wait-and-see attitude and gave Braga a second chance. I went to rationalize myself that perhaps VOY is not his kind of show but ENT may be.

The result: No matter how many chances I gave Braga, he has not been able to impress me.[/b][/quote]

Calm down, wait and see. No point in condeming somthing that you haven't seen.
    With Ron D. Moore, I'm always willing to give the Guardian of Klingon Lore and Scribe of DS9 a chance. Hell, he is better than Braga. No ifs, ands, or buts.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Any man that states in an interview that he does not care for Poles, as to what people want to see. Does not need my vote of confidence.

If they are going to do a Battlestar Galactica leave the characters and story line alone.. they are the story.. If you want to do a show with the same back drop there were 11 other battlestars to use.

I personally did not see much voyage, or DS9 .. I never had the desire to watch..

If I have offended anyone with my opinion state so now..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    ok.. we went there..

1. Starbuck is now female and runs around the galatica in a sports bra

2. Boomer is now female and adopts the orphan Boxey

3. Adama is a techno phobe

4. Apollo is no longer the loving son

5. moore is ignoring all the fans and doing what ever strikes his fancy..

6. the cylons are built by man

7. cylons have human shape(ie some of them can not be told from humans)

8. cylons have sex with humans

9. old names are now call signs..

10. no actor from the original series is returning..

after all the work Richard Hatch put in on the series, they decide to ignore him and destroy the series..
    Since you brought this up....

1. Millions of women in America "run around" in sports bras, and many wear them as part of a liesure outfit when they're not working out. No biggie.

2. I actually think that's pretty cool, especially her adopting Boxey.

3. And this is a problem? I know many senior commanders in the service who just don't understand or like the new technology.

4. That may be a problem, but I can take the wait-and-see approach here. If it makes for a good storyline, then I'll be okay with it.

5. No comment on that, since it's just a crackback on Moore.

6. Actually, I think that makes for an interesting story element. The beings that your civilization built come back to destroy it. It's a good moral play (been done before, but still good).

7. Eh, I don't consider that a problem. I mean, if you're going to infiltrate humanity in an effort to destroy them, why wouldn't you create Cylons that look, smell and feel like the real thing? That's actually an intelligent idea.

8. Well, it completely depends on the reasons behind this. If it's just there for the cheesecake factor, then it's a bad idea. But, if it's used as a proper tool, I could let it slide. But hey, 5 out of 7 so far is pretty good.

9. Good. The old names were campy anyway.

10. And this is a problem, how? Greene is dead, and everyone else is 20 years older. If you're going to remake the series with a fresh start (instead of continuing the old plot), then why use actors who are much older than you want the characters to be? The only actor in the show who would fit one of the main roles would be the actor who played Boxey, since he's probably in his early-to-mid 30's now. Other than that, there's no point.

So, on the idea scale, Moore got 7 out of 9 right (as I said, 5 doesn't count, since it's a crackback and not a point). I'm perfectly fine with that.

Maybe I just have too open a mind to be overly upset at things like this. Of course, you can always dismiss me because I actually enjoy Enterprise, despite some flaws...
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

1) Don't like the concept of Starbuck being female, why not use one of the old females characters instead? As to the sports bra...C'mon cheesecake factor written all over it.

2) See above.

3) Huh?! He's the commander of one the most powerful starships in Sci-fi history and he is a techno phobe. C'mon this makes no sense.

4) As long as they don't go to far the other way. I did always think the relationship between Adama and Apollo was too perfect.

5) Can't really comment on this, but it does seem that way from what I have seen.

6) WTF!!!!!!

7&8) Ok, they're built by man, but are indistinguishable from humans and are sexually compatable. Someone has been having way too many wierdo fantasies about the terminator. Latter point...CHEESECAKE.

9) Can't really rmember any of the callsigns.

10) It would have been nice to see Hatch return as Commander Apollo.

From this and a few other things I have heard I don't hold great stock in this being anywhere's half decent. But, like I did with Ent I'll give them all the rope they need to hang themselves by trying to give it a chance.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    3. And I can tell you that I've met COs of some of today's most powerful warships who still have trouble programming their VCRs. Now, I agree that it's a greater suspension of disbelief to have Adama shun technology, but there is RL precedent to back the idea up. You don't have embrace every modern convenience to be a top-notch military leader, even in the Navy.

It also depends on how this "technophobia" manifests itself. Was "technophobe" directly out of the new BSG bible, or was it an overreactive label placed on the character because of some anachronistic traits he may have been given?

I could easily see a brilliant tactician and leader who prefers to handwrite his logs into a paper log book (and his yeoman or whatever scans it into the computer later), rather than dictate it into an impersonal machine. Or, perhaps he enjoys antiques and uses a number of them instead of their more "modern" counterparts. Tse could be misconstrued as technophobic by someone who doesn't want to give the show a chance (and I am not labelling anyone here a rabid BSG purist, just making a point).

4. I fully agree with you, Phantom.

9. Well, I think the point is that instead of Apollo being named Apollo, his callsign is now "Apollo" and he has a real name (probably something-Adama). As I said, having them named after Greek gods (while being part of the idea of Earth being the "lost tribe") was campy to me, even when I was a kid watching the show.

10. I also would have liked to see a continuation of the storyline (and the complete overwrite of the BSG1980 abomination ), but if you're starting over from scratch, you might as well go full bore. Now, that said, I think it'd be neat to have some of the old stars make cameo appearances.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Never mind forget I said any thing. I will shut up and go away..

But I will point out that if the same thing was done with the original Star Trek.. every one here would be up in arms against it.

poster

Will the real Starbuck please stand up?

This is just going to divide the fans... those who like Neo Battlestar and those who like Battlestar Kickin' It Old School.

I can accept those changes that aren't retcons, per se... those that add to what we already knew are good, such as humans having developed the Cylons. It is stuff like Starbuck being a female that I can't get my head around... Who are people going to accept as the "real" Starbuck?

I forget who said it, but someone suggested this could just as easily be a continuation. The female takes the Starbuck call sign in honor of the long lost original one.

Arrow

Never mind forget I said any thing. I will shut up and go away..

But I will point out that if the same thing was done with the original Star Trek.. every one here would be up in arms against it.
    Of course.

Star Trek have bloomed into several TV series and films, up until ENTERPRISE (and the Braga-produced seasons of VOYAGER).

You cannot say the same for BSG which had only one series run and another in which we are all trying to forget (i.e., GALACTICA: 1980).

* makes a weighing balance motion with two hands *

You cannot compare the one or the other in the same scale.

But I'm willing to see an FX remake of TOS, with CG generated starships and space environment.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan