Thread: (CODA) Klingon Raptor 2380 update

(CODA) Klingon Raptor 2380 update

I really liked this Klingon ship from Enterprise, and my campaign is set after Nemesis, so I decided on a small vessel with a decent punch for one of the main NPCs.

This is also my first attempt at starship construction. I hope you enjoy it.

Raptor II Class

Production Data
    Origin: Klingon Empire
    Class and Type: Raptor II Class Heavy Scout
    Year Launched: 2380

Hull Data
    Structure: 30
    Size/Decks: 4/4
    Length/Height/Beam: 130/25/40
    Complement: 12

Operational Data
    Transporters: 1 standard, 1 emergency
    Cargo Units: 40
    Shuttlebay: 1
    Shuttlecraft: 4 Size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1fv, 1av
    Separation System: No
    Sensor System: Class 3 (D)
    Operations System: Class 2 (C)
    Life Support: Class 2 (C)

Propulsion Data
    Impulse System: Class 5 (C)
    Warp System: Class 6A2 (D)

Tactical Data
    Disruptor Banks: Type VII (x2/B)
    Penetration: 4/3/3/0/0
    Photon Torpedoes: Mark I Quantum (B)
    Penetration: 4/4/4/4/4
    Deflector Shield: Class 5
    Protection/Threshold: 15/3

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: +0 C, +1 H, +0 T
    Traits: Hull Plating

The Raptor II has been built using surplus spaceframes found in the shipyards of Qo’Vey III. The qualities of the 200 year old design, hull strength and reliability are maintained in this new design, and are coupled with many updated systems and weaponry as well as shields (which the predecessor lacked).
    The Klingon Defense Force and the noble house balk at the design and pay it no mind, but for commoners who wish to make a name for themselves, this could be the cheapest and most reliable option available.
    The only glaring shortcoming this vessel has is the inability to field a cloaking device of any kind. The hull plating prevents a cloaking device from functioning. The upside to this is that the Raptor II has the equivalent protection of a ship several times its size.
    Notable ships of its class are currently the prototype, the Chol’BeH

*Hull Plating
    This ship possesses a thicker hull than other vessels. The hull is reinforced with a coherent molecular alloy that provides enhanced protection.
    Prerequisite: Only Klingon vessels and space frames designed before 2180 can have Hull Plating.
    Effect: Increase the structure of the vessel by 10 and the threshold by 2. The increase in threshold stacks with that of shields and remains after shields are down. Hull plating has two main drawbacks, with the first being that any ship that has the plating is unable to utilize a cloaking device due to the particular alloys; the second drawback is that when damaged, this additional structure requires twice the amount of time to repair. (Double all repair times for hull damage)

This trait is to represent the thick hull of the original.

I too like many of the designs emanating from Enterprise; the Raptor and the Romulan Bird-of-Prey particularly- The only odd thing though is that they look more "modern" then even most TNG designs

Very nice design there; but If I may make a remark, I'd think Klingon ships would emphasize weapons over defensive qualities (?) Well OTOH that would be typcasting ship design (!!!!!)

If you consider that early ships had to make do without structural integrity fields, relying only on the physical strength of their hulls, it makes sense that the hull would seem "armored" when outfitted with SIF and compensators. It also just seems right that Klingons would make use of physical armor.

The "no cloak" and double repair time/ cost seem a good tradeoff.

The one thing I do have problems with is a "second class" ship having quantum torpedos, esp in the Empire. I would make the launchers able to fire quantum torpedos, but severely limit their avaliability.

As a scout I'd also make the total torpedo loadout relatively small, and add some probes.

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    I too like many of the designs emanating from Enterprise; the Raptor and the Romulan Bird-of-Prey particularly- The only odd thing though is that they look more "modern" then even most TNG designs

Very nice design there; but If I may make a remark, I'd think Klingon ships would emphasize weapons over defensive qualities (?) Well OTOH that would be typcasting ship design (!!!!!)
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.