Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ummo

Ummo

I wondered if some people here have heard about the Ummo case, and, if so, what do they think of it (apart from primal opinions like "It's a load of bullsh*t" or "It's true, they're here") ?

Personnally, I've read some books about the subject, but of course I've never heard anything about it firsthand. I remain very sceptical (as always), but what bugs me a bit is that some scientists claim to have found some very valid and advanced theories in the Ummo letters (and of course I only have their word for that since I lack the necessary knowledge to understand it).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Could you please specify what exactly the Ummo case is, or point out some website for further info ?
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Since the 50s, some people in France and Spain (I thought the US were involved too but apparently not) received letters from people claiming to come from another world, named Ummo, located 15 ly from Earth, and who were hiding amongst the humans and studying them.
    Apparently, these letters keep being sent nowadays.
    Now the catch is, according to some scientists who studied them, they contained some very advanced theories at the time - then again, these scientits are very few and not very popular amongst their peers.

Here are some links I found, but most of them are in French or Spanish :
    This one (in English) summarises the story and content of the letters, and states the story was a hoax from the beginning.
    That one, much more complete, is in French and Spanish, but some pages have been translated in English.

Others can be found via Googles (that's how I got those two ones, but I knew them already - and there's another link I've lost).
    BTW, I remind here that I'm quite sceptical about this whole affair. I was just interested in hearing other opinions.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Pretty creative...

Never underestimate the human ability at coming up with fictional tales. Any race, any country, we are storytellers through and through.

Actually, another idea I had in mind when starting this thread was how to incorporate Ummo in a sci-fi RPG. After all, as my brother said, they're already a perfeclty detailed race
    Terry Pratchett

Synapses are firing....

Well, if you wanted to put them in Trek...maybe they were silent witnesses to the Battle of Wolf 359 and want to offer the Federation some assistance, based on their superior knowledge of (insert technobabble). They've been watching earth for ages, and have ways to help.

All they ask for is "preferential" seating on the Fed. Council. Or something.

Could be neat.

Actually, since they use some kind of transwarp to assure FTL travel, this could be the technobabble wanted...
    Terry Pratchett

Interesting!

Another group: Raelians.

Would the world's acceptence of this group make earth less xenophobic towards extra-terrestrials? Or would world be more skeptical and more xenophobic because of Raelian hoaxes?

Was there really visitors to Raelians because of more open attitude?

For a far more interesting option:

Would the Extra-Terrestrials take insult at the way the Raelians and Abduction victims describe aliens should they be proven wrong (the R&A team, not the ETs)...

Seriously, I think acceptance of the Raelians would not make us more open, it would simply make us see them as quasi-divinities, and if you want to be treated as equals, you don't begin by treating yourself as inferior to them... And in a Trek-like setting where we have FTL drive, the last thing I would do would be to make one of them an Ambassador for Earth...

I'm suspicious that the whole Raelian thing is just an alien plot to make the French look like a bunch of flakes.

No offense to the French persons on this board who don't look like a bunch of flakes.

-Chris Landmark
    (or maybe the aliens just thought we were short of derogatory jokes about the French...)
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Wait, the Raelians are connected to the French too ?
    Man but that's stealing ! Who created Area 51 and Roswell in the first place!
    Terry Pratchett

My, my, what an interesting little story !!

I donīt know if it applies for Star Trek, but it certainly would suit an X-Files type of game ! Mainly that conspiracy bit.

Thanks loads, C5 !
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

OK, I'm bordering on offtopic, but that reminds me of an amazing Crusade ep: "Visitors from down the Street" which could be very easily adapted to make a fun ST session IMO.

In this ep, you have the classical government conspiracy wishing to hide the existence of ETs to the public, a la X-Files.

With a twist. The aliens which existence is hidden by the government... is the PC's: the UFP, the EA, whatever. Now have the PCs discover all this...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Talking Can't touch me! I'm the Mighty IBG! WOOT!

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by C5
    Wait, the Raelians are connected to the French too ?
    While Rael may be France French, the Raelians are a Quebec French thing. Their compound is less than 20 miles from my house.

They are a strange lot (international now) who used to use the swastika in their star of David, until Israel wouldn't let them have an "embassy" with that one it, so they turned to their current marker.

They are quasi-hudists and weirdos who I highly doubt have the secrets to anything.

Why is it that Wicca and UFO cults and all these things always seem to recruit people who can't function in normal society of keep a job or do well in school?

If I had the secrets of the universe would I teach them to someone capable of learning from them, or to that flighty pierced chick who can't pay her rent? Hmmmm. . .

Like most cults, it is all about control, money and sex.

That's why I like Buddhism. I am not one (I am pretty much Pagan/Atheist) but if I did decide to follow a doctrine, I think that is the one for me.

But definitely not a UFO cult for me, I just couldn't take his jump suit seriously.

"So the aliens want you to dress like a 70s Vegas psychic?"