Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [LOTR] Heroes of the 4th Age

[LOTR] Heroes of the 4th Age

Hi there.

Well I have made the characters for the game (we play in about 14 hours and I am still up preparing stuff).

I present to you now the first three heroes (more to come as I get them done) for the campaign.

Feel free to comment. Feedback is always welcome.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Name: Illian
    Race: Man (Dol Amroth)
    Order: Warrior
    Elite Order: Knight
    Advancements: 7
    Attributes: Bearing 12 (+3), Nimbleness 9 (+1), Perception 8 (+1), Strength 8 (+1), Vitality 9 (+1), Wits 8 (+1)
    Reactions: Stamina +4, Swiftness +3, Willpower +3, Wisdom +3
    Other Attributes: Defence +11, Health 11, Courage 5, Renown 0
    Skills: Armed Combat (Swords) +10, Climb +2, Healing +2, Inspire +6, Intimidate +6, Lore (Heraldry) +4, Observe +5, Persuade +2, Ranged Combat +4, Ride (Horse) +11, Run +2, Sea-Craft +3, Siegecraft +2, Survival +3, Swim +3, Track (Mounts) +4
    Racial Abilities: Adaptable, Dominion of Man, Skilled
    Order Abilities: Born to the Saddle, Horsemaster, Mounted Combat
    Languages: Westron, Sindarin, Rhoirric
    Edges: Ally (Prince Alfien of Rohan), Eloquent, Swift Strike, Valiant, Warrior’s Heart
    Flaws: Fealty (To the White Tower), Oath (Knights of Dol Amroth
    Gear: Broad Sword, Shield, Plate-Mail, Warhorse with barding, Various stuff.
    Notes: You serve the Knights of Dol Amroth will all your heart. You have sworn to protect the Prince of Belfalas with your life. You have promised to come to the defense of Gondor and Arnor no matter what the task. This is your life. As a child you lived in Rohan, Prince Alfien was your childhood friend. You remember Eyrnae as that rough housing tomboy, a few years younger than you and Alfien.
    Since that time you have never let your skills as a rider lapse. You will never betray your sacred oath. To swear fealty to Gondor and the Prince of Belfalas. To be always willing to lend your sword in the service of the Prince. To never harm the innocent or pure of heart. To never conspire with the enemies of the Prince. To never attack enemies from behind or pillage the dead. To never dabble in the dark arts. To never speak an untruth. You will die before you will break your oath.
    You are in Gondor as the Prince has heard that there have been Orcs heading into Mordor. You have been sent to the King’s counsel, to do as King Daerion commands of you.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Name: Arindan
    Race: Man (Middle Man)
    Elite Order: Captain
    Attributes: Bearing 9 (+1), Nimbleness 9 (+1), Perception 10 (+2), Strength 10 (+2), Vitality 10 (+2), Wits 8 (+1)
    Reactions: Stamina +3, Swiftness +4, Willpower +2, Wisdom +2
    Other Attributes: Defence +11, Health 11, Courage 5, Renown 0
    Skills: Armed Combat (Polearms) +9, Climb (Ladders) +3, Craft +2, Debate +2, Healing +2, Inspire +7, Intimidate +5, Lore (Arnor) +2, Observe +6, Persuade +2, Ranged Combat (Crossbows) +7, Ride (Horses) +2, Run +4, Siegecraft +4, Stealth +4, Survival +3
    Racial Abilities: Adaptable (+2 Swiftness), Dominion of Man, Skilled
    Order Abilities: Air of Command, Evasion, Warrior Born
    Languages: Westron
    Edges: Command +1, Hammerhand, Rank +1, Stern, Wary
    Flaws: Fealty (To the King of Reunited Kingdom)
    Gear: Chainmail (hauberk), Longsword, Spear, Dagger, Helmet, Crossbow, Warhorse
    Background: You were born in Arnor. Your parents were one of the first settlers to heed the call of King Elessar. Strong blood flows in your veins, the blood of common Middle Men. The kind of blood that has been spilled in the defense of the crown countless times past and countless more to come.
    At the earliest age possible your followed in your father’s footsteps and became a soldier. You trained hard and worked hard. Your superiors saw something in you, they recognized a natural warrior. You rose through the ranks, passing into becoming an Officer.
    Now, at 44 years of age, you have 150 men at your command, the 12th Company of Fornost. You and your men walked the walls and streets of Fornost, keeping and every vigil eye on the horizon, wary of the King’s enemies.
    You have a good wife named Caeren and two strong sons, Arthen and Gilfar and the flower of your heart your youngest a daughter named Jathryne. You home is large enough, though you often dream of retiring to the country and your own farm. But not until Arnor’s enemies have been defeated and the reunited Kingdom stands secure.
    Recently your scouts have reported that Orcs have begun moving back into Angmar. While no major fighting has broken out, your commander felt it best that someone report the information to the King in Minas Tirith. You drew the short straw amongst the Captains. Gathering your things and mounting the horse they provided for you, off you set. Secretly longing to return home already, but never wavering in your duty.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Name: Eyrnae
    Race: Man (Rhohirrim)
    Order: Noble
    Elite Order: N/A
    Attributes: Bearing 11 (+2), Nimbleness 9 (+1), Perception 8 (+1), Strength 8 (+1), Vitality 8 (+1), Wits 8 (+1)
    Reactions: Stamina +1, Swiftness +1, Willpower +5, Wisdom +2
    Other Attributes: Defence +11, Health 11, Courage 4, Renown 0
    Skills: Armed Combat (Swords/Spears) +8, Debate +5, Healing +8, Inquire +4, Inspire +8, Intimidate +5, Lore (Rohan) +4, Observe (See) +4, Persuade +8, Ranged Combat +5, Ride (Horses) +11, Teamster +2, Weathersense +3
    Racial Abilities: Adaptable, Dominion of Man, Skilled
    Order Abilities: Deference
    Languages: Westron, Rhoirric
    Edges: Eloquent, Healing Hands, Honor’s Insight, Mounted Combat, Night Eyes
    Flaws: Duty (Rohan)
    Gear: Chainmail (corslet), Longsword, Spear, Helmet, Mearas (Ashwind)
    Notes: All your life you have played with the boys. No matter how many times your mother and aunts tried to stop you, you were knee deep in the mud and right in their shoveling out the stables. Your cousin Alfien, Crown Prince of Rohan, always watched over you. From time to time he would chase the Shield Maidens away so that you could ride and fight and have fun. His friend Illian was from Dol Amroth and was a strong handsome young man. If ever you felt the blush of a girlish crush, it was when you saw him. Being your elder by a number of years, he only saw you as a girl, but despite that, the day he left to return to Belfalas and become a knight, you cried yourself to sleep.
    When your studies began as a lady and a Shield Maiden, you had less and less time. It seemed you would change, conform and adapt. Then you learned of Eowyn. Your young mind was captured. Her exploits, her slaying of the Witch King. She became your personal idol. Your hero.
    Recently a messenger came to King Thendrin telling of Orcs moving across the Gap of Rohan. The King, your Uncle, decided to send a representative to King Daerion in Gondor. You cornered your cousin Prince Alfien and begged him to let you be the messanger. After seeing the hope and determination in your eyes, he fetched you some armor, weapons and loaned you his horse, a Mearas named Ashwind.
    With a head full of wonder and determination you have ridden south to Minas Tirith. A simple errand and then you will return home to be a Shield Maiden, but you are sure Eowyn would have been proud.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

2 more PCs to come and 3 NPCs also to come. . .

Looks good. I see you have given the Rohirrim a rare gift to 'start' off with.

They look pretty good to me at a cursory glance, but it seems you shortchanged them on their Native Languages and Lore skills (the sidebar on p.60)

I mean, Illian, with his wits of 8, has 24 levels of languages & lore skills to spend. Even if you put the maximum of 6 in each of his three languages and add in his Lore: Heraldry, you haven't spent it all. And where's all your Lore: History, and Lore: Realm? Those are pretty important aspects of character background.

Or are you planning on letting the players distribute the Languages and Lore picks themselves as a way of customizing the characters?

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Chris: To be honest I missed the side-bar on page 60. will go and re-read and make adjustments

Phantom: Ah yes and after the adventure we had tonight it is hers to keep. I will post a summary as soon as the Minstrel gets it to me

NPC Creation

Aslan I have gotten rather good at creating NPC's for the CODA system, Brian has had me make some for Trek and I had to make a bunch for the LotR Game I run...

If you are ever in need of PC's just ask and I would be more then happy to supply you with my email and will make as many as you want...

Kudos on the game BTW keep us posted

Brian? Do you mean BrianK?

As to the NPCs, sure I would love some

I'll drop you an e-mail

As for the updates, watch this thread for further info

I would be interested in those PC's aswell Julian!

Julian I have lost your e-mail, so I will reply here.

I think you did a great job. With your permission I would like to post the character here.

Also this thread is not dead yet. We just had one of our players go into hospital the day after the first game for emergency galbladder surgery.

He will be back at the table next game so we only missed 2 weeks after all

Also the player of Willow Brandybuck will be writing her Hobbits notes for you all to read.

Stay tunned.

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by AslanC
    Also the player of Willow Brandybuck will be writing her Hobbits notes for you all to read.

Stay tunned.
    Is she a slightly gothic (not in the Rohirrim sense) red haired magician - wizard?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Originally posted by Kaiddin
    Is she a slightly gothic (not in the Rohirrim sense) red haired magician - wizard?
    Nope she is a somewhat tall (for a Hobbit) frizzy red haired minstrel

Name: Arindan
    Elite Order: Knight
    Order Abilities: Born to the Saddle, Horsemaster, Mounted Combat
    This came up last night, if all five advancement picks are required to take the elite order and the order can't be selected until the seventh advancement, how could he also have the three Order Abilities you have listed?

Is it a house rule or have I missed something? I spent an hour last night revising NPCs on my interpretation of the rule.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Probably a house rule. You have the other rules right. Six advancements in one order before being eligible for an elite order, the seventh advancement would have all five picks spent on the elite order, then future advancements could get your order abilities.

Since order abilities cost 3 picks each, this character should legally have at least 10 advancements.

Probably something similar to what I will use. I never liked that rule, you spend all picks to get into an advanced order, then have to wait for the next advancement to get the abilities? All you get for spending all 5 picks is the right to call your character a (knight), but nothing else. Didn't seem fair to me. So, I will be allowing one ability pick when they gain an advaned order. Seems fair to me anyway.

I've been temped to just follow the rule book as written, one free class ability upon selection, instead of what is in the errata and collected rulings.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

Originally posted by Kaiddin
    This came up last night, if all five advancement picks are required to take the elite order and the order can't be selected until the seventh advancement, how could he also have the three Order Abilities you have listed?

Is it a house rule or have I missed something? I spent an hour last night revising NPCs on my interpretation of the rule.
    Well the way I did it was they had 6 advancements to pick with and 1 for free (the 7th) to count for their elite order (of there was one). As for 7th Advancement for picking orders, etc, I must have missed that in the rules.

I don't think I will be using it either