Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGs and Working with Paramount.

RPGs and Working with Paramount.

I've heard a lot about difficulties companies have encountered, in terms of working with Paramount to get Trek RPGs approved and published.

I've also heard about exorbitant licensing fees.

Does anybody who has actually been involved in the production of a Trek RPG (FASA, LUG or Decipher) actually have any information regarding the truth of this?

I haven't actually been involved, but I remember what Ryan Dancey said about them, after WoTC lost the Trek license to Decipher. At that time he was working for WoTC, so some partisanship can be expected.

He said he'd "never work with them again as long as those same people worked in the consumer products division" (I might not have the exact words, since it's been more than a year since I read this).

He didn't go into detail, but that kind of sentiment is usually only aroused when someone believes they have been double-dealt or otherwise treated unfairly.

Of course, many people feel the same way about Ryan Dancey. I know several who consider him the worst sort of self-promoting, self-aggrandizing git. Somewhat like the way people viewed (and often still view) Gary Gygax.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I always wondered who is responsible for preserving the trek spirit in licensed products, especially in RPGs. Does Paramount have a special department for such matters or do they simply assign people with experience in the franchise?

Originally posted by RaconteurX
    Of course, many people feel the same way about Ryan Dancey. I know several who consider him the worst sort of self-promoting, self-aggrandizing git. Somewhat like the way people viewed (and often still view) Gary Gygax.
    Oh, there's no doubt he's powerfully convinced of his on relevance and importance.

But that doesn't mean he's wrong all the time, either.

Looking back on it, I think I'd have been happier had Paramount picked a company with an established RPG track record -- I'm pretty unhappy with Decipher's performance.

I stopped looking back at the timeline. It gives me ulcer.

I no longer play the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" game. What's done is done. The ball is on Decipher's court ... or Paramount if they decided to pull the plug on it.

On a different licensing area, how long have we been without any new Star Trek comic books?
    Last edited by REG; 03-20-2004 at 09:23 PM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

But that doesn't stop the novel line, hasn't it? Or did they somehow change it in terms of "canon/noncanon" status?

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I don't thinkt he novels have really been cannon except in relation to other books the writer (or their friends) has done.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Shoshuro
    I don't thinkt he novels have really been cannon except in relation to other books the writer (or their friends) has done.
    Agreed. The only novels considered officially to be canon are the books written by Jeri Taylor about Janeway and crew and their back-stories. She made this decision when she was exec producer of Voyager.

It would be nice to think that the S.D. Perry DS9 novels are canon. Lot of interesting Andorian info in those books. But canon or not, I would use the Andorian info in any game I ran.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Arrow

Strictly speaking, it doesn't make that book canon any more than an episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series that showed Spock's childhood.

The only elements from the book that are canon are those mentioned/displayed on the TV show, nothing more.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Of late, I've found the novels to be the best source of good Trek ideas for any RPGing I would do in the universe., even though the novels aren't officially canon.

Especially the DS9 'relaunch' books and the recent series of Lost Era novels. Pocket Books Editor Marco Palmieri seems really dedicated to telling good Trek stories heavily based on the shows.

I've just finished Serpent Among the Ruins and was thoroughly impressed.

Originally posted by GenesisWeapon
    I've heard a lot about difficulties companies have encountered, in terms of working with Paramount to get Trek RPGs approved and published.
    Really? Where? From whom?
    I've also heard about exorbitant licensing fees.
    It's their property; they can charge whatever they'd like for it.
    Does anybody who has actually been involved in the production of a Trek RPG (FASA, LUG or Decipher) actually have any information regarding the truth of this?
    I know where you're probably going with this, so I'll pipe in with what I know. While I have not directly interfaced with Paramount (and, in this case, you mean VCP -- Viacom Consumer Products), I can tell you I've worked with 4 Trek Line Developers and met two VCP/Paramount representatives personally. I've also worked on numerous VCP projects. So with that said...

I've never heard an unkind word spoken about VCP. My impression from others and personal experience is that they have been quick to approve manuscripts (in the grand scheme of things) and provided developers and writers of the RPGs broad latitude. They took the RPGs seriously enough to attend at least two Gen Cons that I know of (and was in attendance) and even provided a VIP tour for my wife and I at Paramount. To my knowledge VCP has never been the "choke point" to hold up projects nor have they exercised any direct influence over a line, holding them hostage. ("Do it like this, or else.") In short, they've done everything to be accommodating for the RPGs. Others may have a different view, however.

So, go fish.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Question

So, one can't helped but ask, what's holding up the rest of the products, including a Klingon supplement?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Not VCP, I'd wager.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride