Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Decline and Fall of the Romulan Star Empire

Kessel has everyone look "thataway" while he steals the Praetors desk and won't give it back.

Just kidding.

June 2376: Part of the Romulan fleet that participated in the invasion of Cardassian space is traveling through Fedartion space to get back to Romulan space. A Star fleet captian, under controll by nueral paracites attacks the convoy, killing a lot of Romulans. Federation-Romulan relations sour.

Late 2376: Kessel secretly bribed, blackmailed, tricked and decieved hardline members of the Praetorial Fleet - romulans who deeply beleive in Romulan destiny in conquoring the galaxy and even after the war want to crush the Romulan enemies - into invading Breen space.

Kessel made deals with other senitors and added their fleets to his own already sizeable fleet to invade Federation space.

Kessel used his Tal Shiar connection to manipulate a Command fleet and several senitorial fleets into invading Klingon space.

Kessel also was able to lean on some young and inexperienced commanders to trigger a fight with the Tauhai Unity.

Janaury 2377: Probably half the existing Romulan miliaty became tied up in fights with enimies of four sides; Breen, Klingon, Federation and Tauhui.

Agents of Kessel, using a captured Borg interplexing beacon, call up a Borg cube onto Star Base 39. The cube arrives, and in less than 20 minuets, destroys the base and between half and 2/3 of the Federation Fleet guarding the now-hostile boarder. romulans sweep in virtually unopposed.

March 2377: The Breen crush the fleet attacking them and then set up a vassel/buffer state of worlds with indiginiuos populations and Romulan colonies between Breen space and the Romulans.

April 2377: The Tauhai Unity crush the fleet attacking them and star negotions with regional governments.

May 2377: The fleet attacking the Klingons is split - half is destroyed at great cost to the Klingons, the other half strikes a deal and (with Martok backing) creates a buffer state between the Klingons and the Romulans.

June 2377: This leaves just Kessels fleet intact and fighting the Federation. Desperate, Kessel stages a coup that is succesful but does damage the Praetorial fleet and Romulas and Remus security.

July 2377: Kessel's fleet invasion of Federation space collapses and in the process the Federation makes some territorial gains into Romulan space before yet another buffer state in created.

July 2377: Kessel declairs himself emperor. There is open rebellion in the senite.

August 2377: "Eastern" sections of the Romulan Star empire break away from the government of Romulas and Remus in a treaty with the Tauhau Unity.

September 2377: There are numerious rebellions of conquored worlds through out the Empire. Kessel is deposed but escapes with his life.

September 2377: Romulan Star Empire manages to get a cease fire with the Federation, Klingons and Breen.

October 2377: The remaining Praetorial fleet is further strethed thin by attempting to deal with the break-away portions of the empire along the boarders of Klingon, Federation and Breen space and rebellious worlds.

Noverber 2377: Kessel uses a Borg interplexing becon stolen by the Tal Shiar from the Federation to call the Borg to Romulas and Remus. Two (count them - two!) heavy duty Borg Cubes show up and shread the defenses of Romulan and Remus and pound the hell out of both planets before they (the Borg that is) are destroyed. Kessel is asslaminated.

December 2377: The Romulans unconditionaly surrender. Part of the terms include recignizing territorial gains by the Federation and Klingons and all five break away regions. The recignized Romulan Star Empire is now less than 1/3 the size it was at the start of the year.

------------------
    "Is the warp core supposed to be that color?"
    -The Chaplan, U.S.S. Jolly Roger

[This message has been edited by Grumpy (edited 08-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Grumpy (edited 08-12-2001).]

Thanks for the info Phantom, haven't been able to read DWS yet.

As for Grumpy's post, interesting, I wonder what the Borg's reaction would be when they realize they've been used as legbreakers?

------------------
    Is it a good thing if our Narrator is listening to Stabbing Westward while plotting our game?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Damn, First of Two, that sounds like a LOT of fun. How did the game go?</font>
    I'll let you know if I ever flesh it out and run it. We're still a few years in gametime from running it. I still have at least three adventures to send them on before we get there.

Mostly, it was from my idea of what Series 5 should have been... before they came up with "Enterprise."

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited 08-16-2001).]

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StyroFoam Man:

I'd love to be able to call up a cube like that. Instant whup-ass, cube style.

</font>
    Would it be a styrofoam cube?

Why is it I only seem to wander on here when really suffering from insomnia?

Personally, I think the Queen (regardless of one's opinions about her or her "giving the Borg a face" would be REALLY torqued at being used by some Palpatine-wannabe with pointy ears.

My next question, to both Grumpy in specific and the forum in general, would be concerning the Borg. (And no, you all can relax, I'm not going to launch into another diatribe about historical paralells in Trek Quit cheering, I can hear you you know!)

Now, the Borg have struck twice in the heart of the Romulan Empire, right? Kessel has used them as sentient tac nukes. Then the Borg assimilated him.

This means that the Borg know what he does. Including the state of the Empire. The Borg aren't completely insular, we've seen the Queen at least observing events in the Unimatrix. Why would they stop with the loss of two cubes? Kessel has used them, and the Borg are nothing if not efficient-why wouldn't they go back and finish the job? The Empire is hideously weakened, and claiming and assimilating it means they now live next door to the UFP. They've got the coordinates, they've got a reason to be cranky, (both with the UFP and the RSE)what's stopping them from just going in and wiping the Star Empire off the maps? (Besides Phantom's anguished screamms . . . )

Just my two pennies.

------------------
    Is it a good thing if our Narrator is listening to Stabbing Westward while plotting our game?

Interesting you brought that up, Verbena.

In an interview with the guy who created the Borg, the original plan was to have the Borg wipe out the Romulans. There was going to be a mystery "Who Killed the Romulans" and then the big adversary was going to be the Borg.

Of cource, then 2nd season of next gen showed up, and thanks to the writers strike, only recycled plots from Phase II could be used. (Hence the replacement of Dr Crusher with Dr McCoy er Pulaski) By the time everything got back to a even keel, the story editors (and producer) had been changed, and the whole "Borg vs Romulans" was dropped.

As a note, I think that putting that back into the mix would be pretty neat. The remainder of the Romulan Empire would have to cut deals with it's enemies for support, since the Borg are a bigger threat to the Alpha/Beta Quadrant than the Dominion ever were.

You can even have the Romulans manipulate the Fed into helping in sort of a reverse of the Sisko/Garak ploy.

Alex

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    I am of course biased here but to me it would be better to center the decline around the Klingons, that is something they would try. Particularly under Gowran, but of course he died...Slowly.

</font>
    **possible DS9 spoilers**

Gowan died slowly? I thought he was killed when fighting Worf on DS9 when he went through a table or something.

Sorry, should have clarified. I was using a favoured quote from Gowron. When he first appeared there was a scene where he looks over at Duras and says "You will die...Slowly". Of course it loses alot with the actors voice and the really wierd way his eyes go.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!