Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting Character Creation Help

Requesting Character Creation Help

Um...I just got a little lost regarding character creation. Now I'm actually trying to create a character. I've looked at the sample characters that are in the color pages of the book and well, I'm stilll kinda confused over the skill allocations.

This is what I think it means:

Species skills (intx2) total...say if my int was 10 then I can choose 20 points of species skills...with no more than 6 in one since it is a new character.

After that, pick the personal and professional package of my choice correct?

Thank you,
    CokoBorg

Yup, so far you've got it right, and if it helps, Species skills are listed in the inset box on page 85 of the PG. With the languages listed being an example. and species skills get the appropriate native-oriented specialty for free.
    If you give a monkey control over it's environment, it will fill the world with bananas, and whereas that is a great accomplishment, it's still a very stupid thing to do. --Doctor Who #2

Thanks!

In a related question...

From the character creation rules, am I correct in reading that you may take only one edge form either the personal or professional choices: why couldn't you take an edge from both?

Sorry if this has been answered already

Ensign D
    They keep telling me that the beat's going to get me, so I'm avoiding the beat at all costs!!

Re: In a related question...

Originally posted by Ensign Deconn
    From the character creation rules, am I correct in reading that you may take only one edge form either the personal or professional choices: why couldn't you take an edge from both?

Sorry if this has been answered already

Ensign D
    You can, but then you have to take a flaw as well. One edge is free, from either personal or professional. The second edge, if you want it, has a price, and that is a flaw.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but then you can pick a third edge if you lie, but must take a second flaw as well. Is that right?

Yup, on my understanding, that's correct.

1 edge free - from either Personal or Professional development - is granted to all new characters.

You may then take further edges, but the tradeoff is one flaw.

However, no new character can start the game with more than two flaws - so usually, this will mean no more than three edges. However (I can't remember off the top of my head), it is possible with some species/profession combinations to have more edges at the start of play.

Hope that helps!

Creating characters

I just created my first character, a klingon engineer, and i am curious. after adding it all up my starting skills with bonuses were on average like 5, is this right? it doesnt seem like you get alot of skill points to play with, so i was curious if i did it right.

when you choose the personal and professional development, is all that is for is to determine what you have for professional skills? cuz from what i saw you didnt get to add any points into those skills, am i doing something wrong?
    Thanks Alot...

Rancid...

What do you mean I can't jump from starship to starship? Data does it...

5 average sounds right to me,

as long as you found the "Add 5 picks to professional skills" that'd be about it.
    If you give a monkey control over it's environment, it will fill the world with bananas, and whereas that is a great accomplishment, it's still a very stupid thing to do. --Doctor Who #2

I agree with Moriarti.

Also, you have to remember that characters advance slightly differently in the Coda system to many others I've played. Rather than gain, say, 20 levels maximum, an experienced character in Coda could expect to have 30-40 advancements, so a starting value of 5 in some of your skills is to be expected.

Personally, I prefer the Coda mechanic. I like my character to develop gradually, a little at a time, rather than gaining a load of new skills in one big chunk every so often.

This is what I think it means:

Species skills (intx2) total...say if my int was 10 then I can choose 20 points of species skills...with no more than 6 in one since it is a new character.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Species skills I found weren't very clear in the book. Seems to me a little powerful to be able to put 6 points into a species skill immediately during character creation. I sort of assumed one would take the Int modifier x2 instead... also, would these skills be treated as non-professional skills?
    Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm just getting into the rules now!
    Inajira
    "For my confession they burned me with fire, and found that I was for endurance made." (USS Saracen dedication plaque, from The Arabian Nights)

Species skills are treated as professionnal skills IIRC.

And I don't think they are too powerful, think about it : on average, a character will have 16 points to spend (the average value for a caracteristic being 8), amongst, say, at least Language, World Knowledge, History and Culture.
    So that's 4 points per skill on average, but after all, you're expected to know your language and homeworld rather well; and 4 points doesn't mean you're an expert either, just that you know the subject enough. Not too far-fetched IMHO.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by Inajira
    I sort of assumed one would take the Int modifier x2 instead... also, would these skills be treated as non-professional skills?
    Actually, it is Int x2, not the modifier. And these Species skills are advanced as Professional Skills.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thanks, Doug & C5 for the help. The blurry bright splotches in front of my eyes are resolving into well-defined pinpoints of light... Wait! Its an oncoming train!
    "For my confession they burned me with fire, and found that I was for endurance made." (USS Saracen dedication plaque, from The Arabian Nights)

DZjzpg

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    Actually, it is Int x2, not the modifier. And these Species skills are advanced as Professional Skills.
    What of the Edge question I asked earlier in this thread. An 'official word' on the subject would be nice.

Thanks

Deconn
    They keep telling me that the beat's going to get me, so I'm avoiding the beat at all costs!!

You can take both edges during character creation but you have to take one flaw also. You get one free edge. I also believe you can take three total edges, with two flaws.