Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Branch colors

AslanC Guest

Cool

Cool...I love Purple...The colour of Royalty you know?

I have readjusted my colours again, this time they are as follows.

Command: Royal Blue
    Ops: Deep Purple
    Flight Control: Red
    Engineering: Gold
    Dark Green: Tactical/Security
    Sciences: White (the purity of science)
    Medical/Counselling: Light Blue (TOS colour)

And just for laughs I went and modified pics of the old TNG characters in the new colors. Gotta say, Data looks really good in Purple.

I will try and post later when I am at home.

I also went back to the DS9 Uniforms with colored shoulders and moved the rank insignia to the right breast.

Aslan C...

I'm curious as to why A> you're using such an expanded department colour scheme, you're not using the one(s) from the movies?

Anyway, here's a concise list of uniform colours down through the years...

Pre-2266 (The Cage/Menagerie, Where No Man Has Gone Before)
    Command: gold
    Ops: tan
    Science: blue

2266-2270 (Star Trek Seasons 1-3)
    Command: gold
    Ops: red
    Unknown (perhaps ground troops): tan (This is the uniform worn by the survivor of the Gorn raid in Arena)

2270-2280? (Star Trek, The Motion Picture)
    Command: white
    Engineering: red
    Science: orange
    Operations: pale gold
    Medical: green
    Security: white

2280?-2310? (STII:TWOK through Generations)
    Science: orange
    Operations: pale gold
    Medical: green
    Security: grey
    Trainees: red

2310?-2360? (Tapestry, Yesterday's Enterprise)
    Operations: gold

2360? - present (TNG, <DS9[/i], Voyager)
    Command: red
    Operations: gold
    Science: blue (sometimes a very greenish teal blue)

Dates with a "?" are approximate - the actual date is not precisely known.

The tan shirt worn by the Cestus III officer in Arena appears to be a leftover from The Cage and WNMHGB, with a black collar sewn on to fit in with the series versions. It would appear to be a fourth branch colour - I speculate it may have been a ground forces (read: RRT or the "M" word) uniform. During the movies they broke the colours down a lot more - in ST:TMP, engineering wore a different colour (red) than the rest of operations, but by STII:TWOK was weapring the same pale gold colour as operations, and red was worn by trainees. By the time Picard graduated from Academy, they'd gone back to three colours.

Hope this thoroughly confuses everyone!

AslanC Guest

To answer your question I actually like the iea of different departments and multiple colours. The movie ones were good, but these are more what I wanted. Just a visual thing, nothing more than that

Sides I think Royal Blue looks Kick @$$ as the command colour!

"The tan shirt worn by the Cestus III officer in Arena"
    Why is it when a show is mentioned within the forums, on my next day off SPACE channel winds up running it…’scuse me while I kick Rod Sterling off my lawn (like that he brought ‘the Dead’, to play his theme…kinda catchy). I don’t know if those uniforms of the survivors wore were tan, or if they weren’t just a dirty SF yellow (the mind reels…what department could ‘tan’ possible represent…)

Anywho; AslanC, the reason Data might look good in Deep Purple is because it’s his complementary color (his skin is light yellow, so a darker purple would work).

Now, within my campaign, the uniforms are a hybrid of the movie uniforms (the good ones, not ‘original motion’), and NG. Colors are the same from NG and up, with the following add-on:
    Med Grey - Intelligence
    Dark Green - Marines Corp.(I like ‘em, I use ‘em)
    Purple – Diplomatic Corp. (I saw the idea on the Hornet rpg [online], liked it, imported it)
    Light Black – Seals (same as above)

------------------
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Originally posted by Howlin' Mad Mark:
    Personally, I'd prefer to have Jadzia in nothing just to see if the spots go all the way down!

I met her at a convention once. They only do them to the middle of her back. But I hear where you are coming from. She said it takes a long time to do them also.

------------------
    Captain Darkbane
    U.S.S. Lexington NCC-1709
    "Set Phasers to Stun? who's idea was that? {resets phaser to disrupt} They'll never notice."

As long as we're on the subject, I've added two non-standard colors to uniforms in my series.

The Chaplain onboard wears White, to reflect the traditional priest's collar, while the Special Ops team -- when not in mission fatigues -- wears gray camoflage.

But I do like the suggestions posted. Gives me food for thought.

------------------
    "Now then, pendejo, let's see what kind of swordsman you've become." -- Juan Sanchez Villalobos Ramirez

AslanC Guest

Originally posted by J.Ramirez:
    The Chaplain onboard wears White, to reflect the traditional priest's collar
    I have to ask...why does a Starfleet vessel have a Chaplain?

Not looking to bust yer balls, just curious why a Christian priest gets pref over the other religions?

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

...coin can be heard dropping into slot...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the term Chaplain in this case is not necessarily a specific reference to a practitioner of the Christian Faith, but rather, by Star Trek times, a generic title given to that person who fulfils religious duties aboard starships.

The Chaplain would be knowledgable in several religions (Islam, Christianity, Andorian faith, Vulcan faith, Betazoid faith, for example), and would be a recognised religious figure on a ship, he would also have enough theological background to become capable enough (with a little research, if need be) to cope with some more obsure faiths if required (Wicker People faith).

------------------
    How do I set a Laser Printer to stun?

Speaking as someone who doesn't use chaplains or marines, but will defend someones right to do what they want (in their own games)...

R/L Canon - I know from many conversation with Legate that a military chaplain is more than a christian priest, there are chaplains of various denomination in the armed forces, all using the one term of job description...

LUG Canon - In the 'Way of Kholinar' it is noted that occasionally a Vulcan priest can serve as chaplain on an all Vulcan or Predominantly Vulcan crewed vessel.

So it seems less than a leap of faith (Pun unintended) that the term might continue over into new species and religions...

If it helps matters, think of the use of the word 'Chaplain' as an idiosyncrisy of the Universal Translators, that as the word has such recognition for the people of Earth, thats the word they hear, meanwhile the Bajorans hear Vedek, The Vulcans hear Master, or whatever the appropriate terms are for the appropriate species...

Thats an alternate way to look at it...

And hey, from all this I have come out of it learning something and accepting something that I previously disgreed with...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

AslanC Guest

Well my eyes have been opened. I assign Chaplin with Father Mulcahey(sp) from MASH

I suppose an all around Spirtual Advisor might be the way to go, though I always figured a Conselor would cover that. Still, while I wouldn't use one, I see what you are saying.

Question

While I'm not so fond of more than three colors for departamental identification, I'd really like to see some collar icons (in gold, silver or such) to distinguish the section of that officer, as they do in the military nowadays. For example, a caducius for Medical, a lightning for Communications, etc.

Has anyone came up with 24th century versions of those icons, such as the SF Medical symbol? Because there you'll get me interested.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Smile

Hey guys, instead of focusing so much on ‘branch colors’ for departments, or even the ‘metal thing’ Doc mentioned by ; how about shoulder applets/patches. Sort of like on some of our modern military, and even ‘trek’ did this until NG (well, not their arm, on their front badge). I see it sort of like this: restore most of the department symbols from say, Mr. Scott’s Guide to the Enterprise. Apply these symbols to a background color visible on the character’s shoulder/arm. Maybe make the symbols in gold and silver (gold for Dept. heads and Dep. Heads, and silver for other personnel). Also think of this advantage: in a crisis if an ensign runs into sickbay (not knowing anybody…his first tour), he’d be able to identify a doctor right away, instead of mistaking a member of science or counseling as medical (hmmm…what should the counselor’s symbol be…a human mind? ).

------------------
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

As far as the uniforms go . . . why mess with what works . . . I mean three serious . . . same color scheme. It works . . . I use it. Sure I may add a couple things . . . but the basics are the basics.

Command- Red
    Security- Golden Orange
    Operations- Orange
    Science- Light Blue
    Medical- Blue
    Marines- Green

Now the colors aren't exact, it's not like I've taken a color wheel and looked at the colors I wanted to use . . . maybe one of these days I will :-D But you get where I'm coming from, right? (no offense of course)

As far as the chaplain thing goes . . . being one with some military experience a chaplain is one who serves the spiritual/religious needs of the soldiers. Now they may specialize in one field (the religion they preach normally) but know enough about others that they are able to console those who practice it and be able to do the rituals . . . but usually the rituals are reserved to those who specialize in that religion. For instance . . . you may see a christian chaplain console a jewish soldier . . . but more likely than not you'll see a jewish chaplain reading the torah during a jewish service.

Even though some don't think so, chaplains are a necessary part of any military as long as faith and spirituality exist.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

As far as the uniforms go . . . why mess with what works . . . I mean three serious . . . same color scheme. It works . . . I use it. Sure I may add a couple things . . . but the basics are the basics.

Command- Red
    Security- Golden Orange
    Operations- Orange
    Science- Light Blue
    Medical- Blue
    Marines- Green

Now the colors aren't exact, it's not like I've taken a color wheel and looked at the colors I wanted to use . . . maybe one of these days I will :-D But you get where I'm coming from, right? (no offense of course)

As far as the chaplain thing goes . . . being one with some military experience a chaplain is one who serves the spiritual/religious needs of the soldiers. Now they may specialize in one field (the religion they preach normally) but know enough about others that they are able to console those who practice it and be able to do the rituals . . . but usually the rituals are reserved to those who specialize in that religion. For instance . . . you may see a christian chaplain console a jewish soldier . . . but more likely than not you'll see a jewish chaplain reading the torah during a jewish service.

Even though some don't think so, chaplains are a necessary part of any military as long as faith and spirituality exist.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII