Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Branch colors

as far as the "Branch" symbol you were talking about . . . that would be a far better idea . . . cause it causes for less clutter . . . which I think the producers were going for. Have them like on the other collar, opposite the pips or bars.

That's the idea: less clutter. There's why I didn't suggest the pads as they're made today.

I like that idea for the Counseling section! A little, outlined head viewed from a side, with a semicircle inside it, representing the brain... really abstract and quick to identify

Now we only need competent artists

Exclamation

Wow, it seems I killed the topic!

Seriously, nobody want to give the icons a try? They would also serve as the identification badge for the department...

Cool

Not really . . . I'll run with it with you . . . however, Branch color and Job Specific Collor emplets are really just semantics to the series and the game in general. Therefore, most don't see it as increadibly important to discuss. So this is just a couple of us GMers (Narrators, DMs, etc.) just swaping ideas that's all. It's not like this'll be something that will SERIOUSLY effect game play.

Hmm . . . I would suggest looking at the US Navies Enlisted and Officer Branch organization for the symbol ideas. Their rather thorough about it. Furthermore those branches have come from a long naval history, which Starfleet emulates for the most part, and more so than any other military branch out their. You don't see Majors or Colonels (Sp) as XOs and COs of Starships.

Here are links that can help:
    http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...s/navrate.html
    http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../rankrate.html

Note: Officers who are not considered part of Staff Corps are considered Line Officers (which MOST are).

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Believe me, those badges and the ones on the Argentinian Navy (I worked for three months in the Naval Hospital drugstore... plenty of inspiration and information for Starfleet there!) made me think about the idea of the icons.

But, as Starfleet Medical has its future version of the caducius, which could be the future versions of the rest of the departmental symbols? I'm talking 'iconization' here: a major abstraction of the spark for Comm, the wheel for Navigation, and don't let me start with the Chaplain (impossible task to find a wide-representative symbol! Maybe they should use their own religion's symbol.)

Tango Fleet did something about this, but their department shields still look too similar to today's symbols, and some are too complex for a badge.

Not a badge . . . those are to big and would most likely be on ones shoulder . . . which I think would be to much clutter. I was thinking like . . .

The Pips . . . they're on the Right side right? Well doesn't really matter . . . on the opposite side is where it would go . . . a little metal emplet of sorts . . . Kinda like how in the US Army Officers have on one collar their rank . . . and on the other collar their main branch.

------------------

Originally posted by AslanC:
    I have to ask...why does a Starfleet vessel have a Chaplain?

Not looking to bust yer balls, just curious why a Christian priest gets pref over the other religions?
    I never said he was a Christian chaplain...just a chaplain.

Why does a Starfleet vessel have a Chaplain, you ask?

Simple. I wanted to create one, and as I'm as big a fan of MASH as I am of Trek, I wanted my own Father Mulcahy.

No balls busted, AslanC.

------------------
    "Now then, pendejo, let's see what kind of swordsman you've become." -- Juan Sanchez Villalobos Ramirez

Originally posted by Paul:
    ...coin can be heard dropping into slot...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the term Chaplain in this case is not necessarily a specific reference to a practitioner of the Christian Faith, but rather, by Star Trek times, a generic title given to that person who fulfils religious duties aboard starships.

The Chaplain would be knowledgable in several religions (Islam, Christianity, Andorian faith, Vulcan faith, Betazoid faith, for example), and would be a recognised religious figure on a ship, he would also have enough theological background to become capable enough (with a little research, if need be) to cope with some more obsure faiths if required (Wicker People faith).

To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!"

Originally posted by JALU3:
    Not a badge . . . those are to big and would most likely be on ones shoulder . . . which I think would be to much clutter. I was thinking like . . .

The Pips . . . they're on the Right side right? Well doesn't really matter . . . on the opposite side is where it would go . . . a little metal emplet of sorts . . . Kinda like how in the US Army Officers have on one collar their rank . . . and on the other collar their main branch.

Hey hey hey... stay cool! If I don't mean modern military, if I refer to a Starfleet Department badge, icon, pin or whatever, we'll mean a 2-cm piece of gold or silver metal carved to the shape of the branch's shield or representative image, and worn on the left side of the uniform collar, opposite to the rank pips and in the same line of the commbadge.

How's that?

Arrow

I wasn't upset . . . sorry if I came off that way . . . but I like where you're going.

------------------

Question

Bashir you there?

Me here, no worry.

I'm still thinking on something with some design knowledge to simplify the badges to a 24th Century version, but I'm clueless. Anyone out there who wants to help?

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

OK, first things first . . . what are the several departments? We need a complete list of branches to be able to do this.

Smile

Geez, I didn’t know this forum was still going…anywhoz

Doc, I can see your point on the ‘clutter’, and see your ‘vision’ of an appellate on the opposite side of the collar to the pips (probably looking something like O’Brian’s CoO badge).

I just had a thought about this whole ‘Department’ thing, and that is; take a step back…to say the 23rd Cent. See; what are the 24th Cent. communicators shaped like? The ‘Department’ badges of the ‘the fleet’ form 23rd Cent. (the fact that they look like the ‘original’ Enterprise’s isn’t coincidence, ‘cause that became the fleet-norm after its legendary run…). With this in mind, just slap an insignia on the front of the communicator, the voila; departmental recognition (you could even do something like putting those insignias in departmental colors on the badge…accept those in Ops, Engineering, or Security/Tactical, those should be outlines ‘cause gold-on-gold…doesn’t really work )

------------------
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Excellent thought, Modem! I forgot about the three branch symbols of the Original Series. And, by applying them to the commbadge, it's another good possibility for it (not to mention that now we have factible and recognizable Science, Command and Engineering symbols for it).

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager