Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Branch colors

It was my assumption that the ship's councilor took care of such matters, but Hey, since the TOS Enterprise had a chapel, why not have a chaplin, at least through the 1-6 movie era...

------------------
    Even in this age of technological wonders, the human mind is still the most powerful weapon in the universe.

Lightbulb

Hey, you’re welcome Doc…though you didn’t mention if you liked my other idea (putting the icons on the combadges in departmental color, accept for Engineering, Security/Tactical, and Ops, ‘cause….you know ).

Another thing hit me on this thought/idea:
    We know the icons for Command, Science, Medical, and Engineering; what should be for Counseling, Security/Tactical (weapons and defense a) doesn’t cut and b) sucks…IMO ), and Ops (and SEALS, and Marines, and whateverelse…if you use them)

(Also) Any thoughts on uses of/designing for alternative-styled ranking pips (sort of like what Voyager did for the Maquis crew). I’m thinking; Officer Exchange Programs, and such (well, they wouldn’t have to change uniforms, but now there ranks would be recognizable)

------------------
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

It does convince me, but just to a certain point. Even when, in the past, it was a uniform directive, it's kind of difficult to look at, and the modern combadges are smaller, thus the symbol should be even smaller.

It's a possibility...

Meanwhile, we still need someone with a certain graphic ability to design the icons. Anyone out there?

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager

Yeah Doc, I know the symbols/icons would be smaller, that’s why I suggested color on the badge (to counter the silver…of the …you know; come to think of it: how badges are now, gold could be used for Engineering, Tactical/Security, and Ops…oh well, back to the issues at hand.
    Icon can be found here: http://www.startrekpins.com/trek5.htm
    and

But, I would suggest we come up with a better symbol for Tac/Sec than the “crosshairs” (maybe even separate one for each Dept.)(oh, sorry; I was reading "Mr Scott's..."and that's were I saw that icon). And of course a symbol would have to made for counselor (hmm…a brain with a star…naa, that’d suck)

------------------

What I proposed for the Counseling branch, was a little outlined humanoid head seen from a side, with a little circle or oval in the upper area, symbolizing the brain. The oval should be carved into the head shape, so it looks good.

I can picture it in gold and it looks good.

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager

Question

What about unit badges for Fighter Wings and SMC/RRF units

I have been keen on the comm badge idea for a long time. Hey, here ideas of what they might look like, since these are already pins (so you can see them as 3d photos).
    http://www.hollywoodpins.com/classic.html

Here is my vote for the missing ones.
    Security/Tactical=shield (but didn't the tactical stations in the TOS movies have a hexagonal shape symbol? kind of like the empire's symbol from Star Wars.)
    RRT=sword
    fighter pilot=eagle. Or perhaps the command badge with wings?
    councelor=the brain thing is a good idea.

Doc:
    I also found this one (was going to post it originally, but couldn’t find it):
    http://eas3.exit.mytoday.de/stmagazi...ems-2266-1.jpg
    Don’t know about your ‘Councilor’ dep. icon…still, better then mine ; one thing is sure though, I’d still put the icons in their ‘true’ dep. colors. Why? Because: a) it’s better continuity, and b) even the ‘gold’ icon (of ‘Eng’, ‘Tact’, and ‘Sec’) would show up on the silver background)(and if there is a problem with see the icon, then thicken the line of the icon)

Security/Tactical: funny, I was going to mention that symbol…anyway; that symbol should use for Tactical ‘cauce the ‘hex-shield and crosshairs’ (yes that’s how it looked…), don’t really suit Security (of course what does? Handcuffs? Just think of the reaction to that )
    Fighter Pilot: Totally agree with Mig; the wing-thing works (heck, you even use them in out-croppings of the Combadge).
    R.C.C.:Sword?…don’t think so, I think a shield would be more appropriate (the way I read ‘em anyway)
    The Marines had the symbol, (well…according to FASA ): of sideways lightning bolts. I think in the ‘here and now’ those could be reused, but maybe ‘reangled’ them so they fit better (or go to a single one)

------------------

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Modem:
    Security/Tactical: funny, I was going to mention that symbol…anyway; that symbol should use for Tactical ‘cauce the ‘hex-shield and crosshairs’ (yes that’s how it looked…), don’t really suit Security (of course what does? Handcuffs? Just think of the reaction to that )
    Fighter Pilot: Totally agree with Mig; the wing-thing works (heck, you even use them in out-croppings of the Combadge).
    R.C.C.:Sword?…don’t think so, I think a shield would be more appropriate (the way I read ‘em anyway)
    The Marines had the symbol, (well…according to FASA ): of sideways lightning bolts. I think in the ‘here and now’ those could be reused, but maybe ‘reangled’ them so they fit better (or go to a single one)
    </font>
    It would be hard to fit on a combadge, but how about replaceing the globe in the current Royal Marines emblem with the UFP "circle & stars", and change the motto to something like "Per Astrum, Per Terrum" (pardom my horrid attempt at Latin) or some such. The Starfleet Marines sim I play in with Star Trek: Genesis uses the USMC logo with the globe replace w/ the "circle & stars". ( www.stgenesis.com if you're interested. We're the Furies sim) The anchor, globe, & eagle USMC emblem would fit nicely on a combadge. Now, if memory serves, one of the conspiritors in ST:6 was addressed as Major. That sounds like Marines or other ground forces. Did anyone catch some sort of distinctive logo on his uniform?

Jon

------------------
    If not for physics & law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

There was Colonel West, he was briefing the president on a plan to rescue Kirk and McKoy and if the Klingon had tried anything we would have "cleaned their chronometers."
    He was also the guy with the sniper rifle whom Scotty shot at the end.

------------------
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!"

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Cool

Here's a thought for the Marine /Ground Forces uniform. Take the movie-era jacket & pants, and make them in more marine-like colors? For their service "Class B" uniforms, make the jacket a dark green with black piping, subdued communicator & belt buckle, and give the trousers a dark red stripe for NCO's & Officers. For the Dress Blues, Marine Blue jacket with dark red piping, lighter blue trousers with the same striping as above, & shiny belt buckle & comm-badge. For utilities, go with the Dominion War uniform, with a dark green undershirt & subdued comm-badge. And, of course, cammies in the field... None of this service uniforms with bright shoot-me! stripes in the boonies, dammit!

Jon

------------------
    If not for physics & law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

I like to stick to the basic three colors, I don't want to signal the enemy exactly what my personnel do. Something that I like to borrow from "Prime Directive" for my security officers is field armor and skirmish armor. Note: This equipment is new as of 2374 for my game. It represents lessons learned by Starfleet.
    The field armor is light-weight and worn under the duty uniform jacket. It is a quilted mesh able to absorb physical/kinetic(+2) and energy(+1) damage. It only protects the upper body. Wt. 1.5 kg.
    The skirmish armor looks like armor, sort of the Starfleet version of Klingon armor or the Colonial Marine armor form "Aliens". It is composed of plates of ablative alloys to stop energy attacks with a ballistic fabric lining to stop physical/KE attacks. It protects the groin, torso, chest, and shoulder areas. Also can be issued with a helmet which includes commink and targeting HUD in addition to armor protection. Protection is physical/kinetic (+3), energy (+2). Helmet gives +1 bonus to attacks and searches in all conditions. Armor Wt. 4 kg., helmet wt. 1.5 kg.
    For field ops the uniform is camouflage created specifically for the environment it is to be used in. Data from intelligence and recon reports is inputed to computers which generated a pattern which is in turn sent to the replicators. The uniform in design resembles the standard duty uniform but has cargo pockets on the chest and legs.
    A combat harness is also issued. It is a tactical load bearing vest. It has pouches and attachment points for power packs, grenades, and other equipment. wt. 1 kg.

------------------
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!"

Question

Just out of curiosity what was the vessel in Aliens that the USMC came on?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JALU3:
    Just out of curiosity what was the vessel in Aliens that the USMC came on?</font>
    Solarko <sp> Least thats what it sounded like.

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Wink

It would be the Sulaco, although they never clarified what class of vessel it was, perhaps the comics from a few years back made that clear...

------------------
    Dan.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk