Thread: One, two and three hit opponents

Question One, two and three hit opponents

I have just been curious, how many of you use the combat simplification suggested for more cinematic combat instead of applying damage equally to PC and NPC monsters.

To me it seems a bit strange giving an Orc, for example, a health of nine but at the same time summoning you to ignore the rules.

And BTW, the new section looks great Don.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

It is only a suggestion. Using that rule you can allow characters to cause the same amount of damage that Aragon, et al, did at the end of Fellowship. Also, only non-important NPC would be classed as such.

I will be using the system when the time comes in my game.

I use the system when appropriate to the story. I think of orcses and such as stormtroopers--fodder for the heroes to wipe out and look more heroic.

Example: The brave band of heroes go up against a squad of 10 orcs and 2 Uruk sergeants. I used the mook rules for the orcs and the regular health rules for the Uruks.

And I'll continue to swap them as appropriate to the story my players and I are telling.

PS-Great to see these boards open to the public! W00+!

Re: One, two and three hit opponents

Originally posted by Ergi
    I have just been curious, how many of you use the combat simplification suggested for more cinematic combat instead of applying damage equally to PC and NPC monsters.

To me it seems a bit strange giving an Orc, for example, a health of nine but at the same time summoning you to ignore the rules.

And BTW, the new section looks great Don.
    Think of it this way (to take a page from one of the previous posters). Look at the fight at the end of the FOTR movie. You had a horde of Uruk-hai attacking the fellowship. Most were one- or two-success enemies, making them wquick and easy to take down. However, the fight betwen Aragorn and Lurtz would use the normal Health/Wound Level rules, thus making the fight a more dramatic scene.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Or you can be really nasty, like me.

I keep track of damage to PCs - they never know exactly how many "Hit Points" or "Wound Points" they have - only that they feel: "Terrific" or "Like Crap, with multiple wounds"

It means some more book-keeping from my perspective, but I find it adds to realism in the game. That said, I haven't run a LotR chronicle yet, but I've used the system in D&D and Star Trek for years, with great success.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Where are these suggeste rules for combat listed...I thought I had gone through all the combat in my book but I am unaware of these. Is it in another book other then the Core, or am I just unattentive

Originally posted by Julian
    Where are these suggeste rules for combat listed...I thought I had gone through all the combat in my book but I am unaware of these. Is it in another book other then the Core, or am I just unattentive
    Page 270 of the core book, under "Combat Pacing."

Cool

Oh HEY!!! There it is...Thanks

That rule rocks, it is so much better then what I had been doing before....thanks guys....

I will be so using this rule for my game tonight

I've put some thought into this rule, and here's how I've decided to use it:

The players have no need to know about the rule. They'll make their attack and damage rolls normally. If they get a hit and do a respectable amount of damage, that will kill a sword-fodder opponent. If they don't get a decent roll for damage, that opponent will be wounded. Depending on the situation, the opponent could run away to lick his wounds or keep fighting until hit again, which will kill it.

I just want to avoid the players thinking that they can kill even the weakest foe with a mere scratch. Combat should seem like dangerous, dirty, hard work. IMO, of course.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Thumbs up Combat Pacing

Hey, I love Combat Pacing.

Then again, I've been a rabid 7th Sea fan, and I love the mechanic that allows you to take out a Brute Squad of 6 guys with a single attack action if you're good enough. Totally appropriate in a swashbuckling game, and I like to explain it by referencing the Princess Bride. ("You know the scene where Count Rugen says, 'Kill the dark one and the giant, and leave the third for questioning,' and when the guards run at them Inego takes them all out in a single flourish?" "Yeah..." "It's just like that" "Sweet!")

Now, Combat Pacing isn't quite that way (unless you're doing Sweep actions against a bunch of one-success opponents), but it's a great way of capturing the cinematic feel of the hero wading through a bunch of weaker minions, easy to dispatch, in order to get to the climactic duel with the Main Bad Guy. Of course, you go through lots of Mooks that way, but they're just extras anyway.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

GOLDEN HEROES used to have a similar rule for thugs and other "EXTRA"-type NPCs. In fact the rule is almost identical.

In my campaign I`ve been using Health scores, but increasing damage done based upon the Degree of Success.
    Complete Success +5, Superior +10, etc. I find it gives players a good reason to keep up with thier weapon skills. I am considering trying damage mutipliers instead.