Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Rings

3 Rings

Hopefully this question won't go to far off the intention of this new forum.

Who had the 3 Elven rings? One was on the Lady of the Woods, on with Elrond? and one ....

Ack -

Just found it Cirdan...then Gandalf. I'm so ashamed....

LOL!

You are correct sir

Gandalf had the third.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Originally posted by Greg Smith
    Gandalf had the third.
    Are you sure? Where in the book does it say that? Page number reference if possible? I always thought that one belonged to Celeborn.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

It is specifically discussed in the afterwords on Return of the King - and for that matter in the last chapter Gandalf is wearing it when he takes the ship over the sea.

It isn't clear in the body of the books that he had it prior to becoming "white" but in the appendix it says he had it his whole time in middle earth.

Sort of begs some questions about why he didn't recognize Bilbo's ring for what it was IMHO, but there is quite a bit of disconnect between the Hobbit and LOTR.
    TK

Galadriel had Nenya, ring of Adamant (Fellowshp, Book I, Chap7), Gandalf had Narya (Ring of Fire) (Return of the King, Book 6, last chap), given to him by Cirdan the Shipwright when Gandalf first came to M-E (circa 1000 Third Age), Elrond had Vilya (Ring of Water) (RotK, Bk6,last chap).

Gandalf knew Bilbo found a 'Ring of Power', but beleived it to be one of the 'lesser rings'. Saruman convinced the White Council in 2851 (90 years b4 The Hobbit) that the One had most probably washed into the sea from the Anduin and was lost forever. (Of course, he then began searching the Gladden Fields himself, looking for the One.).

Does that help?
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Also, in "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" chapter in the Silmarillion, the last few pages say that Cirdan surrendered his ring when Gandalf arrived at the Grey Havens. It says that Cirdan knew where Gandalf had come from and whence he would return...(Valinor).

Also, one of my favorite lines is when Gandalf says to Denethor..."I am also a steward; did you not know?"

I always interpret that as Gandalf hinting to Denethor about the power he possesed through the Elven ring. Even though I doubt he knew what Gandalf was talking about directly, Denethor was one of the few people not accounted among the Wise who would understand the significance of such a thing. It's a nice "touche" between the two rivals.

Actually I believe Gandalf speaks of Middle-Earth when referring tom himself as steward. He is steward for middle-earth which he is to protect and mobilize against Sauron's threat, as ordered by the Valinor.
    Middle-Earth was entrusted to him, after it became clear that Saruman had fallen and became a threat himself.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I doubt that is what he means; it just doesn't seem to fit correctly to me.

OT: Who exactly was counted among the Wise? Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, Celeborn....that's all I know (or think I know). Anyone who can finish the list?

Saruman as well, he was the head of the council. The other Istari ( Tolkien mentioned two others, although never explicitely said it were only five ), Radagst, Pallando, Allatar as well, although rarely actually met with the Council.

OH, you yourself as well , Glorfindel

Och, how could I have forgotten the other Istari? *smacks head* (Wasn't it spelled Alatar, not Allatar, or am I wrong?)

Me? Shows how smart they are!

Any other members?

Originally posted by Glorfindel
    Och, how could I have forgotten the other Istari? *smacks head* (Wasn't it spelled Alatar, not Allatar, or am I wrong?)
    It's "Alatar" in Unfinished Tales ('The Istari', pages 388-402).

How about the elf Cirdan? He's a Ring-bearer, or was, until he gave his Ring to Gandalf.