Thread: Levels to Advancements

Levels to Advancements

I was curious as to if there is a way to compare D&D levels to CODA advancements?

IE: a 5th lvl fight would be X advancements in CODA.

Anyone?

Ahh, not really, officially anyway. I suppose the best way would be to compare skill totals rather then actual levels.

I seem to recall somewhere, possibly on rpg.net, that Matt mentioned that a zero-advancement character was roughly equal to a 6th or 7th level character in D&D.

I'm not sure about that, though.

I will say that all the zero-advancement heroes I've seen in LOTR are much better than a first level D&D character.

Levels vs Advancements

When we compared d20 Star Wars to the new Coda system Star Trek rpg we reasoned that if you use the experience points to base the level/advancement ratio it works pretty well. Example a character in d20 Star Wars with 1000 xp would be second level, in the Coda system that equals one advancement. Captain Kirk had 66 advancements or 66000 xp in Coda which would be 12th level in d20 Star Wars. Then you just have to fill in the blanks like attributes saves etc. They should be divided by 1.5 and rounded down. For wound points the minimun should be Vitality+ Str mod. For characters with a lot of hit points in D&D divide them by 9 this represents the characters Health in a Coda system. Skills ranks equal to levels coming from D&D to Coda should again be divided by 1.5 the result added to any attribute or misc. modifiers. This is the simplest basic way to convert characters.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

Cool

In my mind becuase CODA is a 2D6 and differs from most other mainstream RPGs in that way, I think the best way is to comparte skills....attributes should be easy if you are Transfering from a 3D6 ad you use simple division, but I do not think it should be levels to advancements, they do too different of things to your characters

For my money of explaining the game to a non-CODA player who is a D&D player I just need a rough guide tos ay "Y advancements is like you were level X".

I am most defiantly not looking to convert anything

I always used a rough 2 advancements per level ratio. Sometimes I would go with 1 advancement per level if someone I was converting at the time didn't really have much in the way of skill diversity. So when I converted Chewbacca and Han Solo, Chewbacca had 6 advancements and Solo had 11.

I made Mace Windu from scratch instead of converting statistics, so his 32 advancements was more a function of what stats he should have and when he could get them.

This works until you get to someone like Kirk or Saruman. There don't seem to be enough benefits in most d20 games to hold either of them below level 20.

Lockhart

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    As I said in another thread, I have been using MERP as a guide and source of some ideas.

The power of the characters is a concern of mine, as Decipher hasn't released anything to use as a yardstick. Well other than the Witch-king and Saruman in the core book. So I pulled out my "Lords of Middle-Earth" MERP books. Decipher gave the Witch-king 52 advances and Saruman 41. LOME had the Witch-king level 60 and Saruman level 50. So the number of advances was roughly the LOME level multiplied by 0.80.
    Many if the MERP products give a rough suggested conversion to games that period. Since they could not come right out and say that MERP levels = 2 D&D levels they suggest multiplying MERP levels by .75 (or .6 if you preferred lower leveled characters).

I seem to remember, somewhere there is a method of converting AD&D(1) to 3E.

Don't know if this helps any but it is what I use. Where I have problems is with people whose knowledge of RPGs come from systems I've never played or been interested in. Like the White Wolf stuff. One of my players has only played White Wolf games, I have no idea on how to relate that to CODA.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.