Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magical Armor help

Magical Armor help

Dernhelm’s armourIf you have read Willow Brandybuck's journal entry then you have heard of Dernhelm’s armour.

For those who haven't. It is a set of aromour made by the dwarves of the glittering caves alongside the eles of Ithilin for Eowyn's daughter. Alas she never bore a girl and the armour was never used.

Until now.

Eyrnae, Shieldmaiden of Rohan, has been given the armour.

I haven't defined it yet.

I was thinking Mithril chain with steel plating, so a mix of plate-mail and mithril, but I don't know for sure.

Despite which the moment she manages to single handiedly save the group it's magic will activate.

Now I am just trying to think what that magic should be.

Talk to horses?

Create light?

Any ideas?

Not sure about the powers, perhaps a bonus to inspire? But, I wouldn't go with Mithril and steel plate for the armour. For one thing adding steel plate would negate the lightness that mithril provides....Just being Mithril chain would make it "magic" enough for me.

I like the idea of it providing some kind of inspiration. Good thinking Phantom.

You may be right on the whole Mithril idea, though I felt since I was going to have it made by Dwarves and Elves it should have a little umph!

The "plate" could be mithril as well.....
    TK

I thought about that but then figured it would be bloody impenetrable. I mean Plate Mail is pretty good as it is. Make it out of Mithril and I figure she could waltz through a fight

Mithril chainmail is +10 to chainmail's value.

The way I read that is if you have Dwarven chainmail (+7) made out of mithril (+10) then this particular chain has a damage absorbsion of +17.

Adding plate to it only gives it an extra +1, add's 5 lbs, but it does then help to protect against called shots...

It basically comes down to how much of a warrior is the wearer. The way I see the mithril chain is you can wear it underneath your clothes as to conceal it if you have to, if it were "plated" then you could not do this

As for a spell...hmmm...well my first thought was "Bladeshattering" but as that is a sorcery spel and only would really help the wearer I voted against it.

Another cool one could be "Victory-Spell" Although that will only provide trhe caster (and/or those she wishes) to recieve bonuses to their armed and ranged combat skills

Another possibility could be "Slumber" Orcs, can fight if they fall asleep.

Or the Naming spell would work too, although more as a benifit to the wearer.

My favourite however, would be "Flame of Anor"

With all of these however rather then making it it ONE traget make a sphere influence. Just be sure to have restrictions on useage amount

What I would do in your case is NOT have the armor have any additional magic... just give it an inspire bonus based on it's appearance.

The magic is in the craftsmanship.

I'd go with what was suggested above (+7 Dwarven, +10 Mithral, +1 Plate)= +18, +5 lbs, called shot protection, +N inspire bonus.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Aslan, be careful about doling out mithril.

Remember, Mithril was found in only one place in all of Middle Earth: Moria. And once Moria fell, all that was left lying around was sent to Sauron. While the Dwarves may eventually return to Moria (I can't remember if you've had this happen in your campaign), even then they might not dig more out; remember, the last time they did that, they woke the Balrog, and there are still many things burried beneath the mountain roots which Gandalf would "bring no report of to darken the light of day."

Also remember that Frodo's Mithril shirt (a rather small thing, considering it fit a hobbit) was supremely valueable: much greater than that of the Shire and everything in it. A similar item for a full grown human would be double that, and a full haubrek would probably be quadruple the price. Such items are best left to the legendary times of the past, and even then to rare circumstances.

A masterwork of dwarven armor, forged by a great Craftsman with enchantments placed upon it, should be quite sufficient. I would suggest a minor bonus to Inspire tests (+2, as suggested on pp. 83-84) and possibly durability or virtual unbreakability as well. If you want it to have been crafted by a truly great smith (one with some spellcasting ability as well as just the Craftsman ability to give minor Enchantments) then I'd suggest that a spell like Display of Power or Evoke Awe (if you wish it to have an Inspiring or Intimidating effect) or Guarding-spell (for combat defense purposes) would be most appropriate.

How about something like this:

Dernhelm's Armor
    Damage Absorbed: 10 (Hauberk, Dwarven Chain w/ Plate, Masterwork)
    Weight: 35 lbs.
    Special Properties: +1 to Nimbleness tests (negates penalty for Hauberk), Display of Power

This suit of armor, crafted by the Dwarves of Aglarond for a daughter which Éowyn never bore, is remarkably light and fexible for dwarf work, but sacrifices nothing of its strength. In battle it seems to shine with a brilliance undiminished by cloud or night, its wearer an ispiration to her companions and a feared opponent to her foes.
    Surely something like this would be sufficient. What do you think?

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Chris,

Excelent idea.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Cool

I am inclined to agree as well Chris...bravo

Though I don't subscribe to his views on Mithril, there must be more out there, I do like the idea he put forth for the armour itself.

Regardless of the availability of Mithril, I think this armour is more special by NOT being Mithril.

It has a character all its' own which makes me want to know about it and its' history.

Instead of just saying "Oh it is Mithril" for example.

Great stuff Chris I like it a lot and shall use it with your permission.

Originally posted by AslanC
    Regardless of the availability of Mithril, I think this armour is more special by NOT being Mithril.

It has a character all its' own which makes me want to know about it and its' history.

Instead of just saying "Oh it is Mithril" for example.
    Bingo! You've got it!

That's the neat thing about "magic items" in Tolkien's writings. Sting, and Glamdring, and Orcrist aren't a bunch of "+10 blades of Goblin-cleaving", they have a history which stretches back to the First Age of Middle Earth (which begs the question "How in Hades did those trolls get ahold of them?"). Merry's barrow-blade isn't some sort of magical "Nazgul-slaying" weapon, but it deals a particularly bitter wound to the Witch King because it was forged by men of the North Kingdom who fought long and hard against Angmar.

The potency of such objects lies in skill, craft, and ancientry.

Great stuff Chris I like it a lot and shall use it with your permission.
    No problem. Just be sure to give the propper credit if you ever publish.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Originally posted by Chris Landmark
    That's the neat thing about "magic items" in Tolkien's writings. Sting, and Glamdring, and Orcrist aren't a bunch of "+10 blades of Goblin-cleaving",
    -Chris Landmark
    But, Orcrist does mean "Goblin-Cleaver" in the old tongue.