Thread: Great article at The Onion

Great article at The Onion

This is one of the first times I've read an article at The Onion that really, truly matched my feelings. Check it out here.

Discuss.

Not only funny but totally appropriate for the audience here. I think that non-Sci Fi people looking at that article consider it a simple smackdown against those who enjoy Sci-Fi, almost as a form of Slapstick comedy at our expense. But the article actually hits a resonant chord with the Sci-Fi fan (or maybe just this one), still going way into the extreme (especially near the end, the climax thing was funny) but with a kernel of truth under all the exaggeration. For me the article was slightly over the top and tongue-in-cheek rather than slapstick. I found myself nodding at points and shaking my head at others, the way they said it was funny, but there was some underlying commentary as well about SW. Who doesn't think that Lucas is trying to milk the SW franchise? Roddenberry did too (IDIC medallions anyone?) but still seemed to have the more genuine commitment to a vision for his creation than Lucas does at this point. Early on, yes the whole mythological thing seemed to tap into a vision but now its about how many bit characters with complete backstories can get made into action figures or entries in frequently updated Essential Guides.

The only problem is that I doubt the article was intended this way. I'm no fan of the Onion so I can't say what its normal stance is toward the Sci Fi crowd.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Strange ... I liked the FotR ... I found the PM so so ... loved the FotR long version DVD release (damn, why didn't they do it like that on the big screen!) ... I found the AotC pretty good ... and was strangely disappointed by TTT. So ... maybe it's because the article only applies to Americans (well, it does say "Love affair between America and SW", doesn't it?), but I'm not sure the article works for me. Waiting for the DVD long version for a definitive opinion on TTT . But right now, if I had to chose between seeing TTT again, or AotC again ... I'd chose the AotC ... or maybe TTT in the hope against all odds that I'd like it better than the fisrt time.

All right, just a second, let me put this fireproof armor on, there, you can start firing .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)