Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ENTERPRISE wish list

The ENTERPRISE wish list

A lot of people complain about ENTERPRISE, how the writing, acting, etc. suck, so I thought I'd compile a quick list: what would we all like to see changed about Enterprise? Please post your ideas on this thread- but before you do, I'd like to lay out a few ground rules.
    BTW I think I did a thread somewhat like this asking how Trek can be "revitalized," but here I go again anyway.

1. Suggestions must be changes that could actually be made to the show without a massive upheaval in its actors, writing staff, premise, etc.

2. Do not post ANY, repeat ANY ideas that deliberately bash Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, or any of the actors (such as "fire [person's name]").

3. You must actually watch the show. If you never watch Enterprise because you absolutely hate it, please don't post here.

That said, post away.

My ideas:

1. Get T'pol out of that damn catsuit and into a normal uniform. Trek is one of the most popular media franchises with female viewers in my experience, and they are losing these dedicated fans by putting actresses into outfits like those worn by T'pol and a certain Borg whose name I will not utter because she is *THE CHARACTER THAT RUINED VOYAGER.* Many female Star Trek fans I know express concern over women being used primarily as Male-Oriented Marketing Devices in the new Trek.

2. Make more use of all your characters. I really want to see Mayweather get more screen time- in the latest episode he appeared for maybe one minute.

3. Show us more Klingons- Klingons practically define Star Trek to the mainstream. And plus, it gives us a glimpse of how Earth and the Klingons go from being relatively civil in "Broken Bow" to being bitter enemies by the time of TOS.

4. Focus on characters rather than action- show us more episodes like "Shuttlepod One" and "Two Days and Two Nights" that reveal things about our characters rather than being purely action-driven.

Now add your own ideas, people!
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Talking

Three things I want to see..............

The Gorn

The Tellarites

The NX-02 and her crew!

I bet the ratings will shoot sky hight when they appear!
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    While I do feel that this might be the right time for B&B to hand the reigns of the franchise over to "young minds, fresh ideas," I'll respect erhershman's wishes and not expand upon it.

1. T'Pol in a real uniform -- I personally would like to see a more functional VDF uniform, at the very least. I can understand TPTB's desire to show some form of connection between the Vulcans and Romulans in their basic uniform styles, but I always felt that logic would dictate a more practical outfit....lightweight, multiple pockets, and simple, yet identifying. Adding an Eisenhower-like field jacket would be pretty cool looking.

2. More episodes involving the founding races of the Federation -- I'd like to find out what Centauran culture is like, how the Tellarites are handled, and more Andorians!!!

3. Explore and expand the temporal cold war plot -- I'm not huge on metaplots, but this one has potential if they bring us more good eps on the subject.

4. Less Klingons, more Romulans -- I really think we need to let the Klingons simmer for a while. We've met them, we're not sure what to do about them, and we're getting the idea that they don't like us very much. We're in Season 2, effectively 4 years from all-out war with the Rommies. It's time to give Earth a reason for not liking them. And I want to see more of their cool ships! (V-1's anyone? )
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Less Klingons, more Andorians.

More political-oriented episodes between the major races, instead of the 'head of the week' crap.

Tellarites. Preferably with a great makeup upgrade ala the Klingons and Andorians.

Orions...mostly nekid Orions...

An episode or two on Earth of the period; I'd like to see the politics of Earth in the 22nd C.

Less time travel...enough, already!
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    As much as I admire T'Pol as a science officer and a Vulcan, that uniform is making things hard on the rest of the crew, I mean really, who could pay attention to a silly sensor screen if she walks by. How many accidents has she caused?
    Get more of the founding races in there. Like to see how the Andorians, Vulcans, and Terrans can get to the point of teaming up against the RSE. Like to see some LASERs, why not? Maybe on the ships of the fleet because they're easier to build than phase cannon.
    Some more Romulan ships sneaking about, but no Romulan faces. (Can't go violating canon, right?)
    Focusing on the main crew is fine, but give the other's a chance too. Just from Mayweather's brief times on-screen, he'll try anything that's a little dangerous, he's always in sickbay.
    And how about Bruce Campbell as a guest star? Let him play several characters in the same episode, why not?
    Last edited by Antonsb214; 02-07-2003 at 01:28 PM.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Like two or three posters before me said, more Andorians! (Looking forward to Wednesday.)
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Sarge
    Like two or three posters before me said, more Andorians! (Looking forward to Wednesday.)
    Oh, is that the next episode..?
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I can actually only say that I like the series the way it is. I think its fine. OK some characters do not have that much screen-time, but it was that way in other Trek series as well.

What I actually think is the problem with Enterprise is that we as fans demand to much from it right from the beginning. I became ST fan with TNG, however I only saw re-screening in the 90's before DS9 came out. Seeing the first episodes I have to say its more or less horrible. The characters are flat, the set is no difference from the 60s... But the characters evolved and so did the whole series. Actually I think ENT has the best start of all the series. DS9 was not that good and the pilot of Voyager was no blockbuster as well. Maybe it was a mistake to have two series produced at the same time, because people get used to the high quality stuff at the end of the series and now what perfect created characters right from the start.
    Characters need time to evolve and so do stories. I enjoy ENT a lot. Actually I think it shows much more of what I actually love about Star Trek - the pioneer feeling, the exploration. TNG was a luxury hotel travelling through space and Voy was not much better. ENT has to cope with problems other series would have taken seconds to cope due to their advanced technology.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Talking Oh my GOD!!I'm agreeing with EVAN!!!!

I've watched a number of episodes so far, and I'm favorably impressed, though a number of the plot points make me leery.
    For a show with so much background and cannon, and with a pop-tune theme song, Enterprise is doing a pretty good job of finding it's own voice, though as with all things, it takes a bit of time. The epsiodes I've seen have struck a pretty good balance between character development and fisticuffs.
    1) T'Pol in a UNIFORM. I personally think this would be a great idea, although I don't find the current outfit particularly distracting. Never mind the dark circles under my eyes- a few more bruises from walking into bulkheads and I'll look like a Klingon!
    2) Archer captured a few more times. Despite the pretty good mix of action/drama, I just like seeing Scott Bakula bloodied and bruised. Although I think he's doing a great job as Archer, two more seasons of weekly beatings MIGHT atone for his last series!
    3) A few more episodes that emphasize team building (not necessarily diplomacy). Give me a few episodes where the NX crew win the trust and respect of the future Federation members such as the Vulcans and Andorians. These people are going to be humanity's life long friends and bosom pals (kinda like the US and Britain). We don't always see eye to eye but we ALWAYS stand together. I'd like to see the origins of that friendship.
    4) A few less Heads of the Week and a greater number of our established aliens (though not necessarily Romulans or Klingons). Gorn are out because they were unknown before Cestus III ("Arena"). Likewise the Tholians. Hmmm....how about a protracted border skirmish between the Vulcans and Andorians ala the Cod War of the seventies? The humans could be the peace brokers.....

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Oh my GOD!!I'm agreeing with EVAN!!!!

Originally posted by selek
    Hmmm....how about a protracted border skirmish between the Vulcans and Andorians ala the Cod War of the seventies? The humans could be the peace brokers.....

I love going to war over seafood....

Maybe some Tellarites, we need to see a new make-up for them that doesn't look like someone bought it at Wal-Mart.

How about some Orion slave girls, give T'Pol a chance to go undercover....

Fenton Mudd.... Harry's grand-dad, could be fun...

Somebody give the Enterprise a couple of nukes, those torps don't do diddly....

Maybe visit the planet Axanar....
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Getting back to the Temporal Cold War would be nice, 2 Episodes in 1/2 a season...Pretty Light

I'd like to see more about early interstellar travel and colonisation. There must be plenty of human colonies for the Enterprise to visit, and lets face it the first Warp 5 ship should be a big improvement on emergency response and resupply times.

And yeah, more of the founding of the Federation and the Earth-Romulan War.

And T'pol in uniform. One of those leather ones from the fifties earth episode would be cool.

As Selek said Enterprise is doing a pretty good job of finding it's own voice, now it needs to speak up a little.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Re: Oh my GOD!!I'm agreeing with EVAN!!!!

Originally posted by selek
    4) A few less Heads of the Week and a greater number of our established aliens (though not necessarily Romulans or Klingons). Gorn are out because they were unknown before Cestus III ("Arena"). Likewise the Tholians. Hmmm....how about a protracted border skirmish between the Vulcans and Andorians ala the Cod War of the seventies? The humans could be the peace brokers.....
    On the matter of the Tholians, I think I remember hearing they were due to appear in an episode... and the fact they were unknown before TOS is debatable. After all, IIRC, in The Tholian Web, Spock utters something like "the known Tholian ponctuality", so...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

The Tholian Infamy

If memory serves (and at my age, only sporadically), the Enterprise and her crew didn't know who the Tholians were until after the first away mission to the Defiant. I don't recall (again I may be mistaken) Spock's comment referring to the KNOWN Tholian punctuality, until after it was demonstrated on screen.