Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ENTERPRISE wish list

Re: The Tholian Infamy

Originally posted by selek
    If memory serves (and at my age, only sporadically), the Enterprise and her crew didn't know who the Tholians were until after the first away mission to the Defiant. I don't recall (again I may be mistaken) Spock's comment referring to the KNOWN Tholian punctuality, until after it was demonstrated on screen.
    Spock's line was "the renown Tholian puncuality" Infering that the Tholians are a Known Race.

1. Kill of the useless characters and replace them with interesting ones. The translator chick and the token black guy either have to become developed characters or get replaced, or its pretty obvious that they're just there to fill the 'multi-cultural space' on the ST show. Which is crap, dammit, and certainly not what Roddenberry intended.

2. More Andorians.
    3. No Bumpy headed Klingons dammit! I want old school Klingons. (DS9 rocked for doing what they did in their Tribbles ep)

4. More 'founding of the general orders/prime directive' style missions.

5. More obvious gearing towards looking like TOS. I know, I know, TOS wouldnt look like TOS if it was produced today, but goddammit, SOME OF US LOVE THAT LOOK! I WANT my female officers in go-go boots and mini-skirts (and in that standard, btw, T'POL is IN the grand tradition of Strek). I want gold, red and blue. I want switches, dials, and big clunky weird technology.

6. Romulan War!
    It worked for Ds9, it might work for Enterprise! War! War! War!
    Except instead of glorious big space battles, dirty, cramped little submarine like battles filled with tension.

Originally posted by vegasthroat
    1. Kill of the useless characters and replace them with interesting ones. The translator chick and the token black guy either have to become developed characters or get replaced, or its pretty obvious that they're just there to fill the 'multi-cultural space' on the ST show. Which is crap, dammit, and certainly not what Roddenberry intended.
    Exactly. And why is is that all multicultural characters on Trek these days talk and act like they're from California rather than actually having someone from another country (accent etc.)? Heaven forbid having Hoshi actually be FROM Japan, right producers?
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!

Re: The ENTERPRISE wish list

Originally posted by erhershman

[...]

My ideas:

[...]

3. Show us more Klingons- Klingons practically define Star Trek to the mainstream. And plus, it gives us a glimpse of how Earth and the Klingons go from being relatively civil in "Broken Bow" to being bitter enemies by the time of TOS.

4. Focus on characters rather than action- show us more episodes like "Shuttlepod One" and "Two Days and Two Nights" that reveal things about our characters rather than being purely action-driven.

Now add your own ideas, people!
    Okay!

Up'til now I had been pretty against making the Klingons common in ENT, but now that you put it this way, it would be interesting to see the writers 'reverse engineer' the Klingon cultural evolution and the Klingon/pre-Fed relationship. Whether the writers go with the "Klingons ALWAYS looked that way" approach or the "well, there Klingons and then there are Klingons" approach, they could really do a lot with hows and why's of Klingon culture. That could be very cool.

I think the advantage of the two episodes you mention si that they are character-oriented, but also make good use of suspense and tension to make them more action-y than they might otherwise have been, and that's good writing.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Originally posted by Setvenharis
    Three things I want to see..............

The Gorn

The Tellarites

The NX-02 and her crew!

The Gorn would be tricky. I'm not a huge stickler for continuity, and I'd have to watch "Arena" again to be sure, but they'd have to come up with a way to not contradict that episode too severely - my impression is that the first encounter with the Gorn is depicted in that episode.

There sure is a heck of a lot they could do with the Tellarites.

Personally, I think the should make more use of TOS aliens. They can modify them as they see fit, within reason, it sure would make the TOS fans happy, and many of them would resonate even with casual ST viewers who might have some TOS references way in the back of their heads.

I don't see how they can go wrong with this.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Originally posted by Sea Tyger

1. T'Pol in a real uniform -- I personally would like to see a more functional VDF uniform, at the very least. I can understand TPTB's desire to show some form of connection between the Vulcans and Romulans in their basic uniform styles, but I always felt that logic would dictate a more practical outfit....lightweight, multiple pockets, and simple, yet identifying. Adding an Eisenhower-like field jacket would be pretty cool looking.

A hearty "Aye!" on the T'Pol outfit issue.

The problem seem to be that who ever makes these decisions for ENT doesn't fully get the whole 'sexy' concept. A tight outfit only goes so far, as it were. Sure, one can see the, er, details of the werer's anatomy, which all fine and dandy from a limited perspective.

One of the problems with the tight outfit, however, is that the tight jumpsuit is just too stereotypical of bad scifi, and I imagine turns off many as many casual viewers as it attracts. I think one of the best changes they made to improve TNG was the switch to the two-piece uniforms with collars. It made everyone look less silly. One of the advantages ENT has is that it can, and wants, to do the low-tech thing, which is a perfect chance to tone down the 'weird costumes' element. They've done this with the uniforms, which makes T'Pol stand out even more - in a bad way.

The only other thing they do on that show to be "sexy" is to show the characters in their bright blue space underwear, which i suppose is fairly "sexy". The decontamination gel thing is so blatant it's insulting, and makes no sense (they don't put the gel EVERYWHERE, which pretty much defeats the purpose).

Now, to be perfectly primal and base, the one thing they don't do which just about every other show knows how to do is the occasional (or frequent) use of clothing that is more revealing in some way. I'm not advocating this, mind you, but the 'sexiness' of ENT is simply way too stilted. It would seem more natural if everybody wore their normal , practical uniforms but regularly wore something else, when exercising or off duty or whatever.

I'll go away now.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

[...]
    2. More episodes involving the founding races of the Federation -- I'd like to find out what Centauran culture is like, how the Tellarites are handled, and more Andorians!!!
    [...]
    I thought I'd send an image of one of the "new" Tellarites, or at least that's what I think they are, from one of their cameos in couple of cameos in the TOS movies. I think some good casting could make the Tellarites fun and interesting.

And the more Andorians the better. I love what they've done with them so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Originally posted by vegasthroat

[...]
    6. Romulan War!
    It worked for Ds9, it might work for Enterprise! War! War! War!
    Except instead of glorious big space battles, dirty, cramped little submarine like battles filled with tension.
    Problem is, that kind of tension is hard to write...so I wouldn't hold my breath until ENT pulls it off if I were you.

"Minefield" was supposed to be tense, but instead nearly put me to sleep. I like character insight as much as the next guy (I liked "Shuttlepod One" for instance), but the interminable introspection between Archer and Reed on the hull in "Minefield" was the most ham-handed attempt at it I've seen in quite a while.

First Contact had, I think, a similar problem toward the end - scenes where the characters are in spacesuits (making it very hard for the actors to act) and moving around REALLY slowly can very easily get very dull very fast. Especially when you cut away to something else, making ut even harder to build the tension of that scene.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

(Now, imagine Carol Channing jumping up and yelling "I am Spartacus!" )

Back to your regularly scheduled thread....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Why does this quote make we want to jump up and yell "I am Spartacus!"?

(Now, imagine Carol Channing jumping up and yelling "I am Spartacus!" )

No thank you.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!