Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawks Only: What should be the Response to...

Hawks Only: What should be the Response to...

Hawk's Only ie only those who would be considered Hawks on Iraqi (with the UN or not) should be reading this thread, Doves are welcome to respond but remember the purpose of the thread.

If the Iraqi's use Chemical weapons what should be the Coalitions response in your opinion? Should Mustard Gas be answered with Mustard Gas or a small Nuke?

Does the Target have bearing on this issue in your opinion, for example if Chemical weapons are used on US troops in the desert would that require a different response then say if a Chemical loaded Scud where to land in Tel Aviv or Kuwait City?

As the US and most responsible nations do not have Bio weapons what should be the response to there use in your opinion? keeping in mind that Idification of some Bio Weapons my not even occur until long after the fighting is over with.

In your opinion should a dirty nuke bomb be met with a small Tactical Nuke?

I now many will be turned off by the simple nuts and bolts perspective of these questions but I was in deed wondering.

I think it was Nixion who ended our training in use of chemical and bio weapons as a response. Ever since then we have only kept our stockpile for just in case but all training has been focused on defense. This left us with only Nukes for response.

I think on this issue we are between Iraq and a hard place.

To use a nuke where ever or how ever small in retaleation. Would do great harm to us in way of support. This would bring about much international fear.

However if we have WMDs used on us and we don't respond in kind then the deterant aspect of our nukes is lost. We are seen as to be bluffing. Which could be very dangerous in the future especially with North Korea.

I would not like to do it. I would understand if Bush does not do it. I would hate to be in his shoes. If I were, I would eventually give the order. The precedent for not using a deterant would be too disasterous for the future. I would not hold my head high.

I am ready for the stones and the names.
    Some define peace as the absense of war. I rather define it as the prevailance of liberty

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    The Us's policy on this has always been left as a vauge "overwhelming response in kind". WMDs will be responded to with WMDs. Since our chemical weapons are all past their "use by" dates and are being disposed of, and germs are too hard to keep under control, there's really only one choice left... The whole point of this overwhelming response is to make damn sure that no national leader uses WMDs against us. (This may also be why the Anthrax mailings are still "unsolved". If evidence were made public tying Iraq to that Anthrax...self-lit parking lot...)
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Allow a dove to speak...

Personnally, my feelings are that the USA have enough advanced weapons to be able to answer to Iraq's use of WMD, like for instance the bombs they used in Afghanistan to kill people hidden in caves.
    Nuclear power should be always the very last resort (for instance, a unmistakingly Iraqi attaq with WMD on an American city - though I don't really think how this would be possible but who knows ), since now there are a lot of more or less roguish countries who own nuclear weapons (I'm not talking about France...), and the USA using it would be like some sign that the thing can be unleashed again.

And most of these countries' weapons are not clean at all...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I am of the firm opinion that the West, if it wants to be seen as "the good guys", should follow a policy of not stooping to the enemies' level. By all means, descend like the wrath of God on people who attack you via any means, but using a nuke in response to a chem/bioweapon attack will not only get the bastards responsible, but also thousands or even hundreds of thousands of innocents. In the unfortunate event of an enemy nuclear strike, then retaliation in kind is the only way, but not otherwise.
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

I am glad that all share the same reservation about retalation with Nukes against Chemical and Bio weapons that I have. Your right in that use of a nuke would be out of propotion to the use of Chemicals in a tatical situtation. Perhaps in this the best response is to just fight harder, faster and a little meanear. I also want to mention while the US stokpile is old and being disarmed the East Europeans have a decent stokepile (left over from the cold war) and have been until recently trained to use them so there presence in the coalition is a little ominious.

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Hitting back with chemicals would cause nearly as many civilian casualites as a small nuke. What's worse is that unless you catch your target unaware, your gas will only be a nusance. The folks laiunching the stuff will already be suited-up.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

good point and that has always been the drawback/fallacy of all WMD that eventually they will come back and bite you as well as the enemy and other unintended victims (such as French cows living 70, 80+ plus years after there use!). I remember hearing stories of the first Germans to launch Chemicals in 15, that they would throw stuff up into giant fans which would blow the dust toward the enemy. Well it seems on more than one occiasion that the fans were fighting against the wind the chemicals eventually came back on the Germans who had assumed the chemical would continue on being pushed by the fans forward hence they did not need any masks. the results where of course perdictable.

What happened to our cows?!?

They lived 80 years !?!
    Damn, no doubt there were some Vulcans running around and telling "live long and prosper" to every living thing! French cows have never been very good in the language department ... probably took that as an order!
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Chello!

Tac Nukes.

The fellow who designed the neutron bomb said thet to cretaed a good small nuke (about the yield of Hiroshima), all we have to do is remove the H-bomb cores from our nuclear cruise missiles and use the a-bobms that triggers the main warhead.

And I would use that response for any use of WMDs against us or an ally.

Easily.

And without remorse.

Please note that I am an Army Vet, a middle school teacher, and a father of 5.
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

"Good small nuke". Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

I'd say that if Iraq managed to somehow launch and hit an ally city or an American city with a dirty bomb or a nuclear warhead; vaporize their cities in kind. If you don't, the whole deterrence element of the American policy goes out the window.

If they use chemical or biological on an allied city, that's a more iffy issue IMO. I'd say that the response should be an indiscriminate bombardment of large cities. If Iraq used chemical/biological weapons on the U.S. troops, then I'd roll out the napalm or other chemicals and threaten their use.

IMO its not about stooping to their level, its to show others you will not stand for the use of chemical/biological weapons. And that your response to any such attack will be tenfold in order to deter future aggression.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

"I think on this issue we are between Iraq and a hard place."

Oh, boo!!!!

Fuel-air bomb. They're so fun...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Re: Hawks Only: What should be the Response to...

The US has no battlefield offensive biological or chemical weapon capability. Stated US policy it to treat all WMD attacks as equivelent. Attack by mustard gas, according to policy, equates to a nuclear response.

In my opinion, given any sort of effective attack on US forces or civilian targets AND given an identifiable target for retaliation, a nuclear response would be appropriate.

Deterrance only works if the threat of retaliation is credible. If WMD are used against US forces or populations and the US does not repond according to it's own policy, then that threat is no longer credible.

If we are never willing under any circumstances to utilize a nuclear response, we might as well dismantle our weapons now and save ourselves the trouble.

Originally posted by Eric R.
    Hawk's Only ie only those who would be considered Hawks on Iraqi (with the UN or not) should be reading this thread, Doves are welcome to respond but remember the purpose of the thread.

If the Iraqi's use Chemical weapons what should be the Coalitions response in your opinion? Should Mustard Gas be answered with Mustard Gas or a small Nuke?

Does the Target have bearing on this issue in your opinion, for example if Chemical weapons are used on US troops in the desert would that require a different response then say if a Chemical loaded Scud where to land in Tel Aviv or Kuwait City?

As the US and most responsible nations do not have Bio weapons what should be the response to there use in your opinion? keeping in mind that Idification of some Bio Weapons my not even occur until long after the fighting is over with.

In your opinion should a dirty nuke bomb be met with a small Tactical Nuke?

I now many will be turned off by the simple nuts and bolts perspective of these questions but I was in deed wondering.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Originally posted by Calcoran
    What happened to our cows?!?
    Beside the fact that most of there ancestory came from the US this,

Some farmers in Alsace and in Champgne have reported finding dead cows in old pill boxes for years. Studies usually show later that the air is still toxic enough with various chemicals to kill the the poor things with long exposure, like the occiasional land mine or dud shell wen't enough. But I have begun to wonder if this is in effect a French Urban legend such as Alligators living in the sewars of New York.

But what has been reported and seen by myself are pictures of Farmers in those same areas with blisteres on there hands due to the soils heavy content of Mustard gas residue and other little left overs. like removing a shell fragment without realizing that it was a Chemical shell long ago.

If you get a chance too, ask anybody from those areas if they have heard about this.