Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 4th Age game has died. . .

My 4th Age game has died. . .

. . .before it could even truly get off the ground.

What happened was we got together for the game tonight but one of the players didn't show. After some effort we discovered that they had completely forgotten or not realized that the game was this week (it happens, I understand) but there was no way we could play without all the characters. I never NPC someone, to me it is a great insult.

So we got to talking about schedules and the game and after adding up in my heads the minimum of sessions we would need to finish the story arc, well let's just say we would still be playing LOTR next January.

Since at least one player plans on moving away to finish his teachers degree sometime, he (and the rest of us) realized we might not ever get to play this campaign out.

None of us thought that was a prospect we wanted to see.

I mean imagine being all into it, having gone through this huge epic journey and then not being able to finish? No, best to pull the band-aid fast and quick.

We agreed we needed to have a game that would allow for plays to miss sessions, but the group to continue. Something that would facilitate the scheds of everyone involved.

So we decided to finally start up Star Trek (we have come full circle now) in 2 weeks time.

So to make it up to them, I explained the story to them. How I saw the games going, events happening, etc. . .

I have always shared my ideas with you guys and the feedback has been awesome, don't get me wrong, but to see in their eyes that they were imagining their characters in the scenes. It was one of the most satisfying things I have seen. My idea was good. My players were entranced and excited by it.

And thanks to you all for the help, the Tolkien head in my game was jaw agape. He loved all the little tie ins and call backs and the uses of obscure stuff. I mean this was the guy who suggested we name the armour of Dernhelm.

So we all felt emotional, and no word of a lie all a little sad.

We missed out on an opportunity for sure. Tieu Thuy spoke up and said "If only it were years ago and we all had no responsibilities and we could just play three times a week." That got a laugh and we all started talking about Star Trek.

So thanks for everything guys. But I guess my adventures in the Professor's garden have to end for now. But maybe someday. . . who knows.

Please feel free to use any and all of the information we have gathered and ideas. Twists them, turn them, call the George.

If even one of the ideas gets used I will know it was in vain.

And all hubris on my part aside (I am quite arrogant sometimes) it would not have been half as good as it was an idea without everyone's help.

Cheers.

P.S. See you in the Trek Narrator's Forum.

That's too bad.

That's too bad, Aslan. I've had similar experiences, which is why I forced myself to plan smaller adventures in large campaigns. My players and I just can't meet every week or more than once a week anymore, so I try to maximize the time we have together.

I plan large campaigns, but break it up into short adventures of 4-7 sessions, with a little break between adventures. That way, the players can do their best to arrange schedules accordingly.

But, as this is the real world, scheduling conflicts do arise. We make the best of it. As long as I have a quorum of players, I'll run the session. If someone can't make it, we either come up with an excuse for them not to be there, or have them "guarding the horses." I don't like NPCing players' characters when they're not there, so I don't.

At any rate, sorry your game got dropped. I may mine your posts for ideas for my own Fourth Age chronicle.

No more Willow chronicles?!

+ &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

While it does suck I also see hope in it that we will have the best Trek game we can have now because we all understand what page we are on, etc. . .

But it does suck.

So, ready to try online again, Aslan?

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    So, ready to try online again, Aslan?
    Lord of the Rings? Man I think my hand would snap off from typing that much description

Cool

I say you try again, without going this epic this time...go for a one or two shot....they are just as possible

IMHO

Cheer up, Brian... err, Aslan !

... for I plan to steal all of your ideas and use them as soon as I manage to get my hands in a copy of CODA LotR
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Tried quicktopic

Aslan, consider quicktopic.com:

http://www.quicktopic.com/

This is the only way that I am able to play my ST game since we live so far away. It moves a bit more slowly than table-top. However, it is simple to set-up and fairly private. And free.

Don't give up man, I get a lot out of my gaming even though it has to be across the wires.
    ~The Somewhat Barbaric

So I am thinking of picking this up again.

The only problem is that they now know what the original story would be, so I need to take a new story from the point where I left off.

Ayone care to kick the can around with me?

Anyone?

Okay well here goes.

I need to know if in the 4th Age there would be a Steward of Arnor, for when the King wasn't there?

We'll start with that

I would assume so. It would be the same thing as the Steward of Gondor. IMO.

So we would have a Steward or Arnor and a Steward of Gondor, or one guy who travels in the opposite directions of the King?

I would say that each Kingdom would have its own Steward. After all, even if he is around the King can't run everything himself. I view the Steward as a Chamberlin/Castellan...Chief of Operations if you will.