Thread: Supposing you have an NPC Captain...

Supposing you have an NPC Captain...

I was thinking of ways to get my Executive Officer in the command chair. I have one though to get the ball rolling and would like to hear yours.

The ship gets into combat and the random console that explodes is the Captain's console. The theta radiation that is released places him/her into a comatose state for the remainder of the mission. This allows the XO to take command.

Bumping up the Executive Officer

Sounds like you want temporary, mission length absences, so here goes:

Prior to the start of the mission, the skipper is called away for an emergency conference at Starbase XXX. The XO is in charge until after the brandy and cigars.

The CO requires elective surgery to remove his.....no, no, don't wanna go there. The Skipper requires minor, but vital surgery or extended medical therapy which requires he be bedridden or sedated for several hours or days.

The CO is involved in time critical subspace negotiations with a third party alien and cannot be interrupted, or is practicing a specific phrase which must be pronounced correctly or he'll offend the locals.

The XO is being evaluated on his command performance by Star Fleet Command. Both the Captain and an overzealous Judge Advocate type are hovering at the back of the Bridge throughout the mission, but the XO is in charge.

Another thought

This one comes in three parts:
    The Commanding Officer is off the ship investigating a/o prosecuting a fellow officer's conduct pursuant to or during a Court-martial. The ship is needed elsewhere, so the XO is in charge for the duration of the mission.

The Commanding officer is sitting on a Board of Inquiry (or the jury of a court-martial).

The Commanding Officer is BEING court-martialed! The loyal and hardworking XO and the crew have been sent away. Were they sent away because there was a vital mission to be accomplished or because they might interfere with a sham trial?

My favourite was 'the Captain is playing golf in the holodeck. When you contact him he says "I'm sure you can handle it Number One" '
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

You can only do so many of these before even the most die-hard Trek fan and role-player rolls their eyes at you and says "lame."

"Let's ask the Captain."
    "Why bother--he's just going to make us do it."

"Oh, let me guess, the Captain is busy...making dinner?"

"Oh Narrator? The other players and I have spent 30 minutes coming up with a really complicated plan to to save the ship. I tell the Captain and then we go do it."

I could go on and on. That's why I strongly advocate games where the CO is run by a player. Constantly making excuses for an NPC-CO and spoon-feeding the players in a heavy-handed manner (or having players that refuse to make any decisions, defering to the NPC) really ruins your suspesion of disbelief.

My suggestion: promote the XO.

Chain of Command

How about adapting an idea from the TNG two parter "Chain of Command?" The Captain is an expert in the field of [fill in the blank] and is called away to be part of a top secret mission. However, instead of having another NPC become CO, like the lovely Capt. Jellico, let the XO take over. If it all goes well, you can always have the Captain turn up MIA or KIA. You could even have the crew be part of the mission to rescue their Captain.

Of course, if you want your crew to respect your NPC Captain more, bring in a Jellico type for awhile for any of the aforementioned reasons.

Another idea is that the Captain himself is being promoted, either with a new position (an instructor at Starfleet or that type of thing) or he is being promoted himself.

Good luck on your story
    <i>"On Earth there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet headquarters, and you see paradise. Well, it's easy to be a saint in paradise."</i> Benjamin Sisko

I must say I'm a strong advocate of a NPC CO and PC XO. Having tried both I can honestly say that this works better - for the groups I run, anyway. It creates a better team spirit in my Xp.

However, it works differently depending on the role you want the captain to play. For example, a nearby Admiral could offer the same oversight a NPC CO could - but it puts awhole different spin on the situation. The main difference is the captain option has the benefits and cons of being there _every_ week, while the Admiral is there 'when needed'.

Like I said, I prefer the NPC CO - players somehow tend to regard admirals as 'outsiders' at best or 'evil' at worst (Though looking at the shows, most admirals that turn up later turn out to be evil )

Also depends on setting, I think. TNG seems much more XO friendly (Thinking of the many breifings Picard made) which much more collective decision making. Sisko's relationship seemed much more authorative and strict - as seen in hos oft used 'This isn't a Vote!' outbursts.

Back on topic.... How to make Xo's the centre of attention?

Easy. Plenty of away missions.

But I agree with Don that it's harder and harder to justify putting an Xo in the big chair.

As usual, it depends on the game. If you envision lots of ship based action, promote them. If not, then no problem.

hope that helps,

Mark
    Last edited by pathstrider; 02-10-2003 at 05:25 AM.
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Just promote the XO to commander; have the captain reassigned/promoted...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

My favorite is;

The CO was out late last night with an alien delegation and has comsumed to much Romulan Ale. He's got a headache and is completely out for the duration of the mission, at least until its time for praise from ST command.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist