Thread: Why were they half human?

Question Why were they half human?

Spock Troi and Tores were all half human. Now I can understand from a character standpoint why Tores was half Klingon and Half human. She had to deal with her Klingon half and that came out in the show.

But Spock and Troi? I don't know about all of you but I almost have to be reminded that they ar half human. Spock was the Vulcan representative in TOS he was the end all and be all of a Vulcan. He was always logical, he could mindmeld, he was stronger then any human, he could nerve pinch, he could withstand high radiation, transfer his mind, his ears were pointed, He never gave into his emotions. So where was the human half? Where did that come in? Was it that necessary for him to be half human? Sure there was the strained relations with his father but anything could have been cause of that.

Troi was empathic and telepathic, she was so good at it that she could be used as a targeting computer when the enemy is just too darned cloaked.
    Betezoids seem to just be humans with telepathic and empathic abilities. So what made her human? Her human father was dead and her family relationship stories centered around her exstravigant mother.
    Some define peace as the absense of war. I rather define it as the prevailance of liberty

The simple answer is, that they were half-human to allow the character to retain the abilities of the species in question while still allowing the audience at home to be able to connect with the character comfortably...

Simple as that. TV execs writing for the lowest common denominator. Happens all the time on American TV.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

That could be, especially for Spock. But Troi ?She looked human to begin with and the never really played up her human half in the show. If the producers didn't want to alienate her and made her half human. They didn't do alot to remind us. They weren't afraid to show us other aliens.
    Some define peace as the absense of war. I rather define it as the prevailance of liberty

Re: Why were they half human?

Originally posted by Kevin
    Spock was the Vulcan representative in TOS he was the end all and be all of a Vulcan. He was always logical, he could mindmeld, he was stronger then any human, he could nerve pinch, he could withstand high radiation, transfer his mind, his ears were pointed, He never gave into his emotions. So where was the human half? Where did that come in? Was it that necessary for him to be half human? Sure there was the strained relations with his father but anything could have been cause of that.
    Actually, in Spock's case, they explored the Human/Vulcan dichotomy several times, often to great effect thanks to Leonard Nimoy's portrayal. They ranged the gamut from weeping because he couldn't tell his mother he loved her in "The Naked Time" to the confusion over "How do you feel?" in Star Trek IV.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Actually, Troi isn't telepathic, only empathic, which was stated to be a result of her half-human nature:

"I'm only half-Betazoid, Groppler. I can only sense strong emotions, not actual thoughts.": Encounter at Farpoint

I'd always thought they came up with the half-human thing for Troi to add this limitation, as full telepathy as exemplified by Lwaxana would've made her too powerful. As in, instead of "He's hiding something, Captain", she would've been able to tell Picard the bad guy's plan in detail.
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Arrow Re: Why were they half human?

But Spock and Troi? I don't know about all of you but I almost have to be reminded that they ar half human. Spock was the Vulcan representative in TOS he was the end all and be all of a Vulcan. He was always logical, he could mindmeld, he was stronger then any human, he could nerve pinch, he could withstand high radiation, transfer his mind, his ears were pointed, He never gave into his emotions. So where was the human half? Where did that come in? Was it that necessary for him to be half human? Sure there was the strained relations with his father but anything could have been cause of that.
    Actually, we don't know if he is as strong as any Vulcans. And he did exhibited emotions, like in the episode "The Cage" (the first pilot episode which was then rehashed into the first season's TOS episode, "The Menagerie"), and "Amok Time" (he expressed jubilation that he did not kill Kirk during the trial for his intended mate).

And despite that he has the physical appearance of a Vulcan, pureblooded Vulcans can easily recognize him to be a half-breed.

You asked, is it necessary for him to be half human? I say yes. He is the bridge between what is known (the human side) and unknown (the alien Vulcan side). Despite the fact that he always favor his Vulcan heritage, in the end he acknowledge his human half.

From a social POV, he is also the symbol of biracials (or multiracials) struggling with two different heritages, that is in addition to the wide range of different ethnic nationalities that populate the Enterprise's bridge.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

A good question. I think it might actually be an ideological thing: we can overcome species differences to love/marry/breed. Would be in keeping with Roddenberry's humanist approach.

Just a guess..
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

But Vulcans do have emotions they just surpress them.

Re: Why were they half human?

Troi was human so that she wouldn't be a full telepath. They also were able to set several stories around her search for self, as they did with the other cross-breeds.

Spock... IMO you simply haven't watched enough Spock if you feel the way you do. He was, in many ways, the perfect Vulcan... but no matter how perfect, no matter that he was more Vulcan than the Vulcans, he was never fully accepted... by them or himself.

The whole point of Spock is to watch his development... from trying to fit in, to realizing that he is unique and that he must follow his own path... part Vulcan, part Human... logical, but with a sense of humor... calm, but powerful.

All the other half-humans (Data, and Worf, too) have been, IMO, poor attempts to recreate the most powerful character in the franchise.

Spock Troi and Tores were all half human. Now I can understand from a character standpoint why Tores was half Klingon and Half human. She had to deal with her Klingon half and that came out in the show.

Troi was empathic and telepathic, she was so good at it that she could be used as a targeting computer when the enemy is just too darned cloaked.
    Betezoids seem to just be humans with telepathic and empathic abilities. So what made her human? Her human father was dead and her family relationship stories centered around her exstravigant mother.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Arrow

Actually, Mr. Spock tries too hard to be the perfect Vulcan, to the point where he denies his other heritage, and only out of necessity will he speak of them, much to his shame.

Of course, if you recall TMP, he went so far to try to achieve Kolinahr and be devoid of emotion, until he felt a presence (turns out to be V'Ger seeking something).

Makes me wonder if biracial goes through the same struggle: do they accept both heritages or find comfort in one of them? Then again, the answer varies depending on the circumstance that each individual experiences.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer