Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Condition: Orange - What am I getting ready for?

Not doing a darned thing about 'condition orange'. Spending your life worrying someone might do something to you is counterproductive to your health and sanity. No duct tape. No plastic sheeting. No hiding. No pissing myself.

The government's doing this warning to cover their asses, should something happen; they can 'i told you so' and go about their business.

If, by some wild chance, tangos try something here in Albuquerque and I see 'em doing it, I'll do my civic duty and put a couple of .40 mag-safes in them.

Keep in mind: eat healthy, exercise, dont drink, don't do drugs, don't ride motorcycles, skydive, snowboard, ski, have safe sex, or play with guns...and you still will die. Life is the leading cause of death and it's 100% fatal.

Go have some fun; do some of the stuff you're not supposed to.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Arrow

Hmm. All these colorful alert conditions makes me wish I had not exhausted or consumed my Y2K survival kit.

Still, one should be alert of any suspicious activity. Although, I would find it wierd that if the Department of Homeland Security was able to tell us of a specific threat, when and where it may occur, the terrorists decided to follow through with the plan that is now made public.

< arab terrorists > "Okay, despite that this Tom Ridge guy knows what we're planning to do two days from now, and where we're going to do it, we are still going ahead with our plan. After all, we are suicidal fanatics, no? So, are you with me? Oh, yeah ... Death to America."

Gawd, I kinda wish for the good old days, where criminal terrorists are dumb.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Problem is, if you give specifics, you let them know how much of their operations you do know about. " Wallah! They know about D.C. and Charleston, but, inshallah, we're still go to go for L.A." And it may give them a clue as to how we found out about it. By telling too much, you could burn a source that could help stop a later attack.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Talking Survival kit check!

one .45 caliber automatic
    - two boxes of ammunition
    - four days' concentrated emergency rations
    - one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
    - one miniature combination Rooshan phrase book and Bible
    - one hundred dollars in rubles
    - one hundred dollars in gold
    - nine packs of chewing gum
    - one issue of prophylactics
    - three lipsticks
    - three pair of nylon stockings

Hell, a fellah could have a good time in Vegas with all that stuff...
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Re: Survival kit check!

Originally posted by Cybrludite
    Yeeeeeeee ha! Yeeeeeeee ha!
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Talking

Here's some helpful advice

http://www.theonion.com/onion3907/or...rt_sirens.html

I especially liked the information on the new alert levels:

"The newly added levels are Orange-Red Alert, Red-Orange Alert, Maroon Alert, Burnt Sienna Alert, and Ochre Alert," Ridge said. "They indicate, in ascending order of fear: concern, deep dread, severe apprehension, near-crippling fright, and pants-shitting terror. Please make a note of this."

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Arrow Re: Survival kit check!

Originally posted by Cybrludite
    - three lipsticks
    - three pair of nylon stockings

* raises a Vulcan eyebrow *

Interesting...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

We're back at yellow, BTW.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I guess I can take my gas mask off then.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I guess I can take my gas mask off then.
    Umm, Dan.

Someone's put black grease around the edge of your mask.

You look really funny, now!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Arrow

BTW, does your state also have their own color-coded alert condition? Have your state issued a change in alert when the Federal have made changes to theirs?

Because in Hawaii, when the federal government raised the alert from Orange to Yellow, our alert remains at Blue (Guarded).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    BTW, does your state also have their own color-coded alert condition? Have your state issued a change in alert when the Federal have made changes to theirs?

Because in Hawaii, when the federal government raised the alert from Orange to Yellow, our alert remains at Blue (Guarded).
    I don't think Mass has its own color code - haven't heard anything about it at least.

Ironic that you guys stayed at Blue - apparently the main reason for raising the alert was that Pearl Harbor was being targeted (as the Washington Times reported today):
    http://washtimes.com/national/20030303-104.htm
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Arrow

Yeah, I've heard about that article just last night ... AFTER the federal alert condition dropped down to Yellow.

For some reasons, the news focused on the increased security at the airports and not at Pearl Harbor. Is it intentional (media decided not to cover that location at the request of the State Government)? I don't know.

UPDATE: Just watched an interview with the article writer, Bill Gertz. It was interesting to hear him say that the "newspaper industry rely on leaks of information in order to be competitive." I don't know about you but I find it unsettling when it comes to journalist searching through government intelligence who probably have to handle a lot of information both relevant and irrelevant, credible and not credible.

BTW, the local news reported that the government officials in Washington, D.C. are also downplaying the article, citing that it comes from an unreliable source.

Personally, I and everyone here in Hawaii know there are a lot of symbolic places in Hawaii. Even a village idiot in Washington, D.C. knows that (an idiot that goes by the name of Gertz). If Al Qaeda do want to strike at a "soft target" like Hawaii, we pretty much know the targets they can choose from. But I'm sure that we have what it takes to prepare for such an incident, and are taking preventive measures. Which is probably a good thing they increased security at the airport, even to the extent of random vehicle search whether you have business at our airports or not (just by driving near the airport may warrant a random vehicle search).
    Last edited by REG; 03-04-2003 at 05:54 AM.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Arrow

One more thing...

While Bill Gertz may have good intention to publish his article and acting as a messenger, it could also hurt what is our major resource: tourism.

Perhaps Bill Gertz should consider Hawaii as his vacation destination.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan